Author Topic: Birds (feathered kind)  (Read 123374 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: Birds (feathered kind)
« Reply #325 on: 09 March, 2024, 08:19:13 pm »
Storks are being reestablished in Sussex right now.. The migrants will already be crossing to Gibraltar.

No mile walk there. Either sit out on a comfy bench at Europa Point, a short walk from the bus stop and cafe, or, even better, take a seat at Cafe Solo in Casemates Square, with a decent meal, and watch storks and raptors soar overhead.

Storks, harriers, accipiters, Bonelli's and Booted eagles, lots of short-toed (snake) eagles, spotless starlings, yellow-legged gulls, Sardinian (and many other) warblers...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #326 on: 11 April, 2024, 03:59:19 am »
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #327 on: 11 April, 2024, 08:38:11 am »
3 species of owl in 24 hours:
Tawnys are resident in our garden, but one decided to sit on a post and watch me as I fed the hedghogs on Tues evening.
2 Barn Owls on Wed morning, while I was driving over the fell to St. Johns Chapel for the audax. Must be desparate for food in this windy weather.
Short- eared owl on Yad Moss. Looking in better condition than me after 50k in that weather..
Just need the wee grumpies to show up for a full house.

« Reply #328 on: 11 April, 2024, 09:34:49 am »
You are very privileged.

I see little owls regularly in the park next door. I can't remember the last time I saw a hedgepig. Decades ago.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #329 on: 13 April, 2024, 04:25:33 am »
...and our guide reports that there is at least one chick visible in the eagle's nest now.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #330 on: 13 April, 2024, 04:27:50 am »
A female Cardinal. I wasn't quick enough for the male.