Author Topic: Travelodge check in policy?  (Read 7923 times)

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
Travelodge check in policy?
« on: 01 July, 2018, 09:41:06 pm »
Hello... I'm considering booking a Travelodge for a few hours kip on an upcoming 600. I expect to arrive around midnight but could be anytime really. I think I read somewhere that they have 24h check in... Is this correct? Cheers!

Re: Travelodge check in policy?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2018, 09:44:28 pm »
They do indeed.
But it's worth phoning them in the early part of the evening to tell them you are definitely coming.  They have been known to overbook and the last one to arrive misses out.  They do refund and find you another hotel if that happens but it all takes time, time you need for sleep on a 600

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2018, 10:24:09 pm »
Premier Inn allow you to check in online before you arrive - very useful for audax purposes.

I don’t think Travelodge offer the same, and the possibility of arriving in the middle of the night to find they’re full and expect me to relocate to a different hotel 30 miles away puts me off using them. Shame if they’re the only option in your sleep stop location.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2018, 07:22:08 am »
Premier Inn allow you to check in online before you arrive - very useful for audax purposes.

I don’t think Travelodge offer the same, and the possibility of arriving in the middle of the night to find they’re full and expect me to relocate to a different hotel 30 miles away puts me off using them. Shame if they’re the only option in your sleep stop location.
Whilst that is indeed an unnerving prospect, the chances of it happening are really very small. I've used Travelodge literally hundreds of times (including turning up at "audax" o'clock) and never experienced it.

As said, a quick call in the evening (which I've never bothered to do) would reduce the probability still further.

Travelodge are usually significantly cheaper than Premier and other chains IME.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2018, 09:22:43 am »
Having experienced Travelodge's yield management regime of overbooking, I would never seek to use them again. I am now a convert to Premier Inns.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2018, 10:48:47 am »
I ring in the morning, request a ground floor room, advise I'll be there late and ask for a room number (Which they don't always give) I doubt that guarantees anything, I like to think it minimises the chances of getting bumped.

Rich XAB

• Dulwich on the outside, Peckham on the inside!
« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2018, 12:22:47 pm »
I recently checked in to the Tewkesbury TL during the ACME Grand (we arrived at 12:10 and left at 04:30). TL have somebody on the desk 24H. Phoning ahead if you are going to be late ^ is a good idea. I asked the night staff about arriving in the early hours and mentioned the type of cycling we do. I can't remember his exact response but it was along the lines of them wanting to complete their paperwork overnight for the previous day. He also mentioned that they can re-open the file if necessary and that it wasn't such a big thing to do. 

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2018, 12:57:52 pm »
Whilst that is indeed an unnerving prospect, the chances of it happening are really very small. I've used Travelodge literally hundreds of times (including turning up at "audax" o'clock) and never experienced it.

Others have, though.

Part of the reason TL are so cheap is because they strip back the service - you have to pay extra for various things that come as standard with Premier Inn, eg wifi. Of course, that may not be an issue if you don't care about those extras - I don't imagine wifi is top of the typical audaxer's hotel wishlist.

« Reply #8 on: 02 July, 2018, 01:11:55 pm »

Others have, though.

Part of the reason TL are so cheap is because they strip back the service - you have to pay extra for various things that come as standard with Premier Inn, eg wifi. Of course, that may not be an issue if you don't care about those extras - I don't imagine wifi is top of the typical audaxer's hotel wishlist.
Indeed. I'm usually too knackered to be worried about WiFi. These days 4g is pretty ubiquitous anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The sound of one pannier flapping

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 02 July, 2018, 01:26:02 pm »
[Almost OT]
Premier Inn's basic Wifi is VERY slow. (See speed thread in Ctrl-Alt-Del)

I don't think I'd give a toss for Audaxing purposes.

I've been pestered for my Accessible Room booking twice on the day before intended and pre-booked travel.

Which did not please me.

« Reply #10 on: 02 July, 2018, 01:53:41 pm »
you have to pay extra for various things that come as standard with Premier Inn, eg wifi.
You do get half an hour free, that's usually enough for me.
What other extras do you pay for in a TL that are free in a Premier? 
I recently paid an extra tenner to check in an hour early in the the Newcastle TL, of course I resented it, but I'd been wet for 10 hours and I'd probably have paid anything to be dry.

citoyen

« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2018, 02:01:55 pm »
What other extras do you pay for in a TL that are free in a Premier? 
I recently paid an extra tenner to check in an hour early in the the Newcastle TL, of course I resented it, but I'd been wet for 10 hours and I'd probably have paid anything to be dry.

Not sure. Probably nothing worth paying for. I just remember last time I booked a Travelodge being pestered to fork out a tenner a time for various things I wasn't interested in - the experience is similar to flying on Easyjet.

Although I probably would have been happy to pay a tenner to check in early in the same circumstances.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 02 July, 2018, 02:02:42 pm »
You do have to pay for breakfast at a PI but that is always in a proper restaurant and has an 'all you can eat' option.
TL breakfasts are cold cardboard boxes AIUI.

« Reply #13 on: 02 July, 2018, 02:13:21 pm »
You do have to pay for breakfast at a PI but that is always in a proper restaurant and has an 'all you can eat' option.

Yes, you have to pay in Premier Inn for breakfast and they are not necessarily cheap or great quality but are better than Travelodge.  If they are located near to other eateries, then the alternatives may be a better option.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #14 on: 02 July, 2018, 02:32:09 pm »
Not in all - the Newcastle one mentioned above had the "All you can eat" option and I did ;)
It was actually pretty decent, not the best breakfast I've ever had but certainly not the worst.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2018, 02:55:05 pm »
"Classic" Travelodges do not have any dining facilities [so you should worry if your cardboard box is warm.]

I've seen a couple that are actually conversions of "proper" hotels with a bar and/or basic restaurant. They tend to have nicer rooms too  :thumbsup:

I haven't stayed in every UK Tlodge, so don't take this as gospel ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2018, 06:19:41 pm »
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know if they allow you to take your bike into the room with you?

Ben T

« Reply #17 on: 02 July, 2018, 06:23:03 pm »
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know if they allow you to take your bike into the room with you?

Yes they do.

« Reply #18 on: 02 July, 2018, 06:24:13 pm »
Not in all - the Newcastle one mentioned above had the "All you can eat" option and I did ;)
It was actually pretty decent, not the best breakfast I've ever had but certainly not the worst.
True.
Some Travelodges now do eat all you can breakfast. Cheaper than Premier Inn eat all you can and I say that Premier Inn are well worth the extra money because the food is nicer and they have more options. Also nte, you don't need to stay in a Premier Inn to have a breakfast there. I often turn up to a Premier Inn just to have a breakfast. If you eat a lot, it's cheaper than buying several breakfasts elsewhere.  ;D
Premier Inn have a policy to always accommodate a bike 9as part of the 2012 Olympic legacy) and you can turn up at any hour to check in. Same as at a Travelodge, except, as mentioned, Travelodge sometimes overbook and you can get caught out. It's the busy Travelodges that get overbooked. Major tourist places like Norwich or York. I once used a TL near Norwich for a DIY 600 and made the route pass it early in the ride so I could check in and baggsy a room as I suspected it wuld be overbooked, as every other TL in the area was full. I was right!
AFAIK, Premier Inn don't overbook, but don't hold me to account over that!
Travelodge are often cheaper, but not always.

Ben T

« Reply #19 on: 02 July, 2018, 06:26:37 pm »
"Classic" Travelodges do not have any dining facilities [so you should worry if your cardboard box is warm.]

I've seen a couple that are actually conversions of "proper" hotels with a bar and/or basic restaurant. They tend to have nicer rooms too  :thumbsup:

e.g. Tewkesbury.
I usually choose premier inn over travelodge but at tewkesbury I go for the travelodge.
Derby pride park TL has a nice integral restaurant as well.

Premier inn's breakfasts are horrible.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 02 July, 2018, 07:48:53 pm »
Again, there is probably some variation in this! (or between our views on breakfast ... )

Stafford (North - "Spitfire"? ) was yummy last month. Like a regular hotel breakfast (admittedly not a hotel with many stars, but I rarely stay in such hotels. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 02 July, 2018, 08:45:32 pm »
Again, there is probably some variation in this! (or between our views on breakfast ... )

Stafford (North - "Spitfire"? ) was yummy last month. Like a regular hotel breakfast (admittedly not a hotel with many stars, but I rarely stay in such hotels. )

This depends on your hunger, budget and expectations.
£9 for all you can eat from the usual range of fares seems fine. I've not had any DREADFUL experience.

« Reply #22 on: 02 July, 2018, 09:11:36 pm »
Some Travelodges now do eat all you can breakfast
Huh?  ???

« Reply #23 on: 03 July, 2018, 08:02:38 am »
Edinburgh City TL definitely did the all you can eat breakfast (at least back in 2009 it did).

Scottlington and I arrived there at the end of a 3 day ride up from London (300, 300, 200) and proceeded to decimate the buffet at breakfast the following morning. The manager came over to check we weren't putting half the food in our pockets, when we explained the cycling we'd done he understood why we had such appetites.

The last Premier Inn I stayed at (before/after the Mersey Roads 24) didn't have an all you can eat breakfast despite having a Beefeater style pub/restaurant next to it. They had a cold buffet but the hot buffet was by order only.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Ben T

« Reply #24 on: 03 July, 2018, 10:22:20 am »

This depends on your hunger, budget and expectations.
£9 for all you can eat from the usual range of fares seems fine. I've not had any DREADFUL experience.

I have. Once at the fort william one they asked if I wanted any poached eggs and 15 minutes later it still hadn't come so I reminded them, few seconds later it arrived, it had obviously been cooking, forgotten-about, for the full 15 minutes. The same one also absolutely refused to let me bring my bike in, and I claimed a refund under the 'good night guarantee' that applies if you don't get a good night's sleep, because I obviously hadn't been able to sleep for worrying about it.  :demon:

FWIW I do still eat the premier inn breakfast if it's the only thing going and there's no McD's nearby but find the cooked items taste fairly 'processed' and often cold.