Author Topic: [LEL17] The rogue Italian  (Read 9981 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
[LEL17] The rogue Italian
« on: 08 August, 2017, 10:41:02 am »
Did anybody else see the rogue Italian rider?

He turned up at Pocklington coming Southbound, fairly early on in during a quiet period. Spoke no English, and was trying to pay for everything.

We thought he'd lost his bevet card and was confused, he was very cold, so some volunteers got him some food (which he tried to pay for, we thought he was confusing us with PBP) and a hot drink, sat him down and tried to get his rider number off him so we could look him up on the system. He ate, and was still eating when our Italian speaking volunteer came and got the story out of him.

He'd booked his flights for him and his family before the event, but hadn't been able to get an entry. So he'd turned up to ride it anyway. From what we worked out, he'd been into quite a few of the controls, but I can't say that for certain. Our Italian speaking volunteer thinks she saw him coming through Northbound.

Cheeky bugger.

Re: The rogue Italian
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:57:01 am »
There's a German chap on this forum who talked about doing LEL without an entry. He made clear that he didn't plan to use the facilities at controls. Anyone knows whether he really did it?

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2017, 11:36:17 am »
Yes
Turned up at Moffat
Lara our volunteer Italian says he's no card but riding the event. I understood he'd paid for everything which did seem odd. I allowed him in.
That same day but no connection AFAIK two Italians M&F arrived claiming to be supporters. No supporters badge showing and their name wasn't on the supporters list I'd been given. I turned them away.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2017, 11:52:39 am »
Are you sure that isn't the reincarnation of Marco Pantani?  He certainly looks like him.

« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2017, 12:40:33 pm »
Saw him at Great Easton on Wednesday night, he was saying something about not having his card, but there were no Italian speakers there so he was let through.  I assume he finished!

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »
He turned up at Loughton and asked if he could charge his phone. I turned him away and he rode off into the night.

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2017, 01:08:07 pm »
He turned up at Moffat and we let him use the toilet ... he didn't offer to pay for that though !

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2017, 01:25:00 pm »
There's a German chap on this forum who talked about doing LEL without an entry. He made clear that he didn't plan to use the facilities at controls. Anyone knows whether he really did it?
he got a last minute official place and rode, but packed at some point.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2017, 02:29:32 pm »
He was riding in our group on day one for a while. (Mix of 6-7.30am starters). Cheeky fecker. He wasn't doing any turns either.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: 08 August, 2017, 03:10:19 pm »
While I was waiting for my 12 noon start, I saw the odd cyclist sitting on their bike in front of the starting gate, no numbers displayed. I did wonder if they were unofficially joining in, pacing a friend, or just hanging around. Used to see the same thing with small groups of club cyclists waiting up the road from sportive starts. No objection to others using the public roads so long as they're not freeloading on the food and services everyone else has paid for.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2017, 04:36:06 pm »

Thanks Helen!  Sad to learn that he packed, but fortunately he could seek help from the controls!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #11 on: 08 August, 2017, 04:58:28 pm »
While I was waiting for my 12 noon start, I saw the odd cyclist sitting on their bike in front of the starting gate, no numbers displayed. I did wonder if they were unofficially joining in, pacing a friend, or just hanging around. Used to see the same thing with small groups of club cyclists waiting up the road from sportive starts. No objection to others using the public roads so long as they're not freeloading on the food and services everyone else has paid for.

it is not just the food and services .. many many hours go into the route .. anybody having the cheek to follow -- should pay a Perm entry fee .. and frankly I reckon it should be £50. How many  AUK members would dream of riding a Perm without paying .. I assume .. none
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #12 on: 08 August, 2017, 05:48:30 pm »
the odd cyclist sitting on their bike in front of the starting gate, no numbers displayed
At Loughton we saw many legit riders who did not display the plaquette on their bikes, it wasn't mandatory. if they were riding it alone, outside the event proper, they'd have no reason at all to wait. I suspect they were pukka and waiting their start group.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #13 on: 08 August, 2017, 05:50:39 pm »

Rene F, has a Milan but turned up on an M5 CHR?

« Reply #14 on: 08 August, 2017, 07:29:52 pm »

Rene F, has a Milan but turned up on an M5 CHR?

Is that the same Rene F who rode the Trans German race a few weeks back ??

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #15 on: 08 August, 2017, 07:42:16 pm »
If you mean the world record south to north then no, that was another chap in a Milan.

I think René is more keen on open cycling at the moment Lee. Or so Klaus gathers from somewhere.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2017, 08:00:35 pm »
If you mean the world record south to north then no, that was another chap in a Milan.

I think René is more keen on open cycling at the moment Lee. Or so Klaus gathers from somewhere.

Nope - it's a 70% off road 1600k gravel / adventure ride from Basel to the Baltic. I'd like to do it next year so followed it this year. A rider called Rene Fischer posted photos of it: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNvNA173DcqaX8tFJtsN7xdpCVTRgn9egxySSukKeV906REF09t75qahjB8HJpkmA?key=OGg2YTZmTFdXeERndU5IZF92ME1zMVpoNUdfSkV3

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #17 on: 08 August, 2017, 08:32:31 pm »

Nope - it's a 70% off road 1600k gravel / adventure ride from Basel to the Baltic. I'd like to do it next year so followed it this year. A rider called Rene Fischer posted photos of it: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNvNA173DcqaX8tFJtsN7xdpCVTRgn9egxySSukKeV906REF09t75qahjB8HJpkmA?key=OGg2YTZmTFdXeERndU5IZF92ME1zMVpoNUdfSkV3
That's not him, his surname is different (although also starting with F of course)

« Reply #18 on: 08 August, 2017, 08:42:31 pm »
Well, with a population over 90 million, Germany probably has more than a few Rene F's who ride a bike I suppose ...

« Reply #19 on: 08 August, 2017, 08:43:53 pm »
There was another Italian who, although officially part of the event, was definitely "rogue".
Absolutely no sense whatsoever of sharing the road with motor vehicles, and far too blatant to be excused by having to ride on the "wrong" side of the road.
He wanted to ride and take turns with me for a while, except his turns were always shorter, and once I got a feel for his style I made sure I was nowhere near him.

I'm almost certain it was the same guy Mrs S & I tried to ride with in 2013, except he simply could not accept a female being in front, and every time it was her turn he'd blast off up the road, only to slow down a km or so later and repeat.

Dickhead.

« Reply #20 on: 09 August, 2017, 08:48:48 am »
We also encountered the Italian motorhome of death on a few occasions.... a series of somewhat unnecessary close passes.

I thought about letting their tyres down when we passed it tucked up in a layby with the bikes outside.. but didn't. (the motorhome tyres not the bikes obviously)  O:-)

« Reply #21 on: 09 August, 2017, 09:26:35 am »
We also encountered the Italian motorhome of death on a few occasions.... a series of somewhat unnecessary close passes.

Support vehicles were not supposed to use the  rider's route.  Another route using main roads was proposed for them. If you had close passes with a support vehicle, it is worth reporting this to the central organization.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22 on: 09 August, 2017, 11:48:05 am »
On PBP in 2007 there were a lot of rogue Motorhomes ov Doom on the route and, without exception, they were Italian registered.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #23 on: 09 August, 2017, 01:28:21 pm »

it is not just the food and services .. many many hours go into the route .. anybody having the cheek to follow -- should pay a Perm entry fee .. and frankly I reckon it should be £50. How many  AUK members would dream of riding a Perm without paying .. I assume .. none

Well said - its a bloomin liberty.  I was just working out costings for London Wales London the other night and recokon I can just about break even.  If I included a figure for my time planning and checking bits of the route and that of the multiple volunteers, phone calls, websites etc etc we'd not be able to run the event.  In this context, freeloading even on a £5 brevet counts as VERY NAUGHTY in my book

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #24 on: 11 August, 2017, 04:00:12 pm »
I had stupidly close pass from an Italian registered chaussone on Wednesday. Maybe it's just what they do  :demon:/color]