Linked Events

• BHPC World Championships: 13 July, 2018 - 15 July, 2018

Author Topic: BHPC World Championships  (Read 17145 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: BHPC World Championships
« Reply #75 on: 17 July, 2018, 01:18:20 pm »
I've nothing really against helmets per se and have been known to wear one off road myself. I am however anti the usual guff that comes out of peoples mouths when they start tut tuting at me for not wearing one, usually while they are badly wearing a poorly fitting one themselves!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #76 on: 17 July, 2018, 01:20:48 pm »
Don't know what a Scorpion looks like, except the stingy arachnid of course, but it's number 612 on a gnunfaired tadpole trike.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #77 on: 17 July, 2018, 01:26:56 pm »
I've nothing really against helmets per se and have been known to wear one off road myself. I am however anti the usual guff that comes out of peoples mouths when they start tut tuting at me for not wearing one, usually while they are badly wearing a poorly fitting one themselves!

That's pretty much my position.  I don't have a problem with a primarily racing-focussed[1] organisation requiring them for the races they're organising.  It's not like it's an audax or anything (and indeed, I've specifically not entered open-road events because they require helmets in the past).

[1] AIUI the BHPC's mandate is much wider, but the track racing is the stuff they officially organise, on the basis that you don't need the same organisational resources to make a social ride or tour happen.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 17 July, 2018, 01:35:01 pm »
Don't know what a Scorpion looks like, except the stingy arachnid of course, but it's number 612 on a gnunfaired tadpole trike.

Ah, not the one I was thinking of, which was Jemil Kewfi, no 522.  The Scorpion is also a tadpole trike, built robustly for touring.

612 is apparently Nathaniel Olson on an ICE Sprint X.  ie. a Sprint (ICE's mid-range model) built up with lightweight racing components, hardshell seat, etc.

To the untrained eye, they'll appear superficially similar.  Unless you try to lift them.

(The website's started working again, so I can look up race numbers.)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #79 on: 17 July, 2018, 02:06:29 pm »
BHPC mandate majic plastic bonnets? Shame.

They're usually a condition of the use of the tracks

That is certainly the case at Betteshanger. They introduced the rule a few years ago following An Incident, but I won't go into any more detail as I don't want to derail the thread...

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #80 on: 17 July, 2018, 11:31:03 pm »
I'm busy geeking out on all the spiffy data on the results page. The whizzy coloured dots going round and round and round the track are wonderful.

Dumb question:

DF comes up as a vehicle type. Normally in recumbent circles this would mean Diamond Framed,  ie upright, but it can't be I  this case. What is it?

Bike spotting question:

No. 621,  looks like a home made machine. Is the frame wood, or just painted to look like that? Picture here https://photos.app.goo.gl/SjcEYw3oVrsLuYou6
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 17 July, 2018, 11:44:43 pm »
DF comes up as a vehicle type. Normally in recumbent circles this would mean Diamond Framed,  ie upright, but it can't be I  this case. What is it?

A flavour of velomobile, m'lud.

No. 621,  looks like a home made machine. Is the frame wood, or just painted to look like that? Picture here https://photos.app.goo.gl/SjcEYw3oVrsLuYou6

Looked like wood to me, up close and personal, like.

There are some more good bike-spotting photos (particularly from the queueueue for the time trials) at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/recumbents/, including a better look at 621:

the worlds 2018 043 by speedmachine1, on Flickr

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #82 on: 18 July, 2018, 01:07:16 am »
I'm busy geeking out on all the spiffy data on the results page. The whizzy coloured dots going round and round and round the track are wonderful.

Dumb question:

As Kim notes, a velomobile. DF being the initials of designer/builder Daniel Fenn.

Bike spotting question:

Looks a bit woody but may be that honeycomb material.  My grate frend Mr Woolrich has built a Several of bikes from the stuff used for aircraft floors, skipweaselled during the time he worked for BA.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #83 on: 18 July, 2018, 10:28:43 am »
Bike spotting question:

Looks a bit woody but may be that honeycomb material.  My grate frend Mr Woolrich has built a Several of bikes from the stuff used for aircraft floors, skipweaselled during the time he worked for BA.

Things 1 and 2 were molished from that wood-around-an-aluminium-honeycomb stuff, which isn't entirely obvious from the photos, and is much more impressive if you saw them as a box of CNCed bits in the process of being whittled with a stanley knife at the York Rally last month.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #84 on: 18 July, 2018, 11:52:18 am »
I see from a photo up there ^, that Thing 2 was fitted with a camera. However I'm fairly sure it didn't have one in the 3 hour race, which explained the erratic steering. Did Something Happen?

citoyen

« Reply #85 on: 18 July, 2018, 06:48:11 pm »
See if you can spot yourself...
https://youtu.be/6oCkaXxdp9M

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #86 on: 18 July, 2018, 07:49:26 pm »
See if you can spot yourself...
https://youtu.be/6oCkaXxdp9M

Spotted myself at the start of the 3 hour, but I think that's it.

Love the audio on that.  They've really captured the rumble of the velomobiles (at one point followed by a solitary bicycle twiddling along at about half the speed).

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #87 on: 18 July, 2018, 08:56:11 pm »
Spotted me in the background when Charles Henry was being interviewed.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #88 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:26:18 am »
I spotted a Kim in the background at 7:22 when a Velomobilist is being interviewed.

Velomobiles occupied by German geeks on a race track look far more in their element than on the road. Rather space age.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #89 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:44:22 am »
Seeing the velomobiles cornering when shot from the rear puts me in mind of the alien fighters from Independence Day. Does Will Smith have a velomobile?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #90 on: 19 July, 2018, 09:17:51 am »
I do like two wheel velomobiles, but they don't have look unstable.

The link to the Submarine racing championships was interesting as well :)

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

citoyen

« Reply #91 on: 19 July, 2018, 09:23:08 am »
Velomobiles occupied by German geeks on a race track look far more in their element than on the road.

They're especially in their element at Betteshanger. What the video doesn't capture is just how windy it is down there - especially on the lower section of the course, which isn't shown. It's close to the sea and very exposed.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #92 on: 19 July, 2018, 09:28:15 am »
Charles Henry certainly looked a bit wobbly - though the sea breezes may have had something to do with it - but he said he learned more about cornering from following Steve Slade for an hour than from a couple of years riding the bike :D  Steve is nearly always rock-solid, apart from the time the Little Black Number got away from him in Hove Park and lost an argument with a tree.

Nearly all the two-wheelers are pure racers, though.  There's a modicum of luggage space in the Birk (and John Williams said he's seen its sister being used as a commuter in Australia :o) but only that one and Jemma Forey's Kingcycle could be really classed as road-going.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #93 on: 19 July, 2018, 09:35:03 am »
How are places on the 'grid' allocated? Is it by lots or do the burghers of the BHPC know the capabilities of the competitors and allocate by arbitrary expected performance? 

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #94 on: 19 July, 2018, 09:37:54 am »
Usually it's entirely down to the riders to find their own space though in the 3 hour some effort was made to put the fast boys and girls at the front.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #95 on: 19 July, 2018, 09:49:37 am »
The Boy was a keen observer of Charles Henry's technique coming out of the corner by the teepees and giving it welly up the home straight.  Things to do while marshsalling include counting the number of times he hit the bump in the otherwise smooooooooooth tarmac (ker-dunk, ker-dunk) and watching the wobble as he whizzed past the field at full chat.

I saw me from a distance in yellow at 2:08 and again around 4 minutes. Mr Larrington is seen lurking by the finish at 5:30 and a bit after.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #96 on: 19 July, 2018, 10:01:00 am »
@Kim and anyone else who can answer: What does it feel like to be racing laps of a circuit? I was talking to someone last night who's done circuit racing (knupwrite) and says it's really rather boring going round and round the same track again and again. But maybe he wasn't concentrating sufficiently on winning; he certainly never got a 2nd place in a World Championship!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #97 on: 19 July, 2018, 11:27:41 am »
Entirely depends on whether you're concentrating on beating the clock, or your position relative to other racers (eg. when riding in a group).  Once you've got a feel for the track - where best to take the bend, which bit of that single bump is least likely to induce a scary wobble at 30mph, when to change gear, or how much extra beans you can give it on the climb, etc. time trials are indeed boring, and best kept to a lap or two[1].  Half the problem is that you don't have enough brain capacity left for arithmetic at race speed, so it's hard to work out whether you're actually doing well or not.

Staying in a group or overtaking requires concentration.  More so than with upwrongs because even unfaired recumbents have a lot of feet and chainset blocking the view immediately to the front, and because the cornering dynamics of the different types of machine (especially bikes vs multitrack) can be quite different.  Particularly important is not getting your pedals tangled in the wheels of upright trikes.  Plus, unless you're at the top end of your group, you've got to be on the lookout for faster machines appearing from behind and aiming for that gap you wanted to use.

But, TBH, for me the sheer novelty value of being able to spool the Baron up to full speed in the corners without fear of pothole-related DETH is a strong motivating factor.

[1] I went back on Saturday evening and had another crack at the single lap of the lower loop on my Brompton.  Annoyingly, according to Strava, I was 8 seconds faster, though I suspect this is as much to do with favourable wind and not having stood around in the sun for half an hour as it is about acceleration.

citoyen

« Reply #98 on: 19 July, 2018, 12:02:02 pm »
I don't know about racing on tarmac, but cyclocross racing is too intense to ever get boring.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #99 on: 19 July, 2018, 12:05:16 pm »
He was talking about tarmac short circuits, like old airfields. I'm sure cyclocross is something else again.

Particularly important is not getting your pedals tangled in the wheels of upright trikes. 
:o :o :o