Author Topic: AAA SR for 2019  (Read 3785 times)

whosatthewheel

AAA SR for 2019
« on: 06 July, 2018, 10:32:25 am »
While everybody will be busy crowding the flatter BRM in the calendar as PBP qualifiers, I was considering going the opposite direction next season and targeting smaller events for an AAA SR... with plenty of 200 to choose from, the choice is somewhat less for the longer events... here is my shortlist so far

Yr Elenydd (April, not sure I'll be in the UK)
Hard Boiled 300 (April again, crazy option with 2AM start)
Knock Ventoux (June? August?)

Brevet Cymru (May, easy option)
The Old 240 (May, Hard option)
Porkers 400 (May, crazy option)

Three coasts (June, easy option)
Brimstone (May, Hard option)
Pendle (June, mental option)

Anyone else is thinking about it? Any obvious late spring/early summer event I missed?

Re: AAA SR for 2019
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2018, 10:51:22 am »
Oasts and Coasts and The Dean 300s have AAA points.

Both highly recommended.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2018, 10:59:29 am »
Oasts and Coasts and The Dean 300s have AAA points.

Both highly recommended.

Oasts and coasts is a bit far for me to get to... the Dean is a valid early season option, didn't realise it had AAA points... could do it to secure a 300 (weather allowing) and then target something more AAA worthy later in the year.

In a way, I would like to target "real" AAA events if you see what I mean, rather than those that have an AAA-worthy section... 

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2018, 11:05:31 am »
In a way, I would like to target "real" AAA events if you see what I mean, rather than those that have an AAA-worthy section...

I do know what you mean. Neither feels particularly hard (usually - I understand the weather made The Dean very tough this year).

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2018, 11:08:28 am »
Peacocks and Kites 300 from Cardiff, a lovely ride. First 50 km and final 50 km are urbanish as you head through the valley towns but in between you have the Brecon Beacons and the Elan Valley   :), think it's usually in June.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2018, 11:10:53 am »
Peacocks and Kites 300 from Cardiff, a lovely ride. First 50 km and final 50 km are urbanish as you head through the valley towns but in between you have the Brecon Beacons and the Elan Valley   :), think it's usually in June.

Good option...
Great option if I was to get the job in Cardiff I have applied for...  8)

« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2018, 02:02:38 pm »
I will be doing pbp , so i will ride the wessex s.r. perfect for preparing for the french ride. pbp is not flat!!! :smug:

whosatthewheel

« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2018, 02:31:28 pm »
I will be doing pbp , so i will ride the wessex s.r. perfect for preparing for the french ride. pbp is not flat!!! :smug:

Judging by the size of some of those BPB jerseys you see around, it certainly isn't hilly either...

Anyway, back to topic...

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2018, 03:19:10 pm »

PBP is most certainly not flat, but it is not difficult in terms of hills or climbing. It's best described as rolling.

Even carrying too much in the rear bag, I never got around to  using granny ring, until a few km from the arrivee, as I knew if I didn't use it then, like so much kit in my rack bag - it would have been a waste taking it.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #9 on: 07 July, 2018, 02:15:31 pm »
Likely to run next year?
Probably the closest AAA 600 to me

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-604/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #10 on: 07 July, 2018, 06:46:08 pm »
"Take Ewe" is not a BRM...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #11 on: 07 July, 2018, 06:52:20 pm »
"Take Ewe" is not a BRM...

Not a problem with me... I should have mentioned that I am ONLY interested in the AAA SR as a standalone award, no plans to go to France

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #12 on: 08 July, 2018, 09:48:15 pm »
You could always do a Cambrian Series AAA SR in a year.  No problem with crowds, and it's never been done before.  Marcus Yeo rode 3 x 200, 1 x 400 and 1 x 600 in his AAA championship year but missed out on the 300.

I did an SR full of gold grimpeurs in the days before the AAA SR  is probably not helpful - Highs & Looes (no longer running), Yr Elenydd (you've ruled out), Cambrian 4D, Bryan Chapman Scenic (too many entries for the Bryan Chapman these days).  However, it was a very enjoyable season and set me up well for the wet PBP the following year as I'd already got used to suffering.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2018, 06:02:47 pm »
I'll have some new events on the calendar.

Bill's Easton Connection 300 ~5AAA
The Exe Barnstaple Branch 400 ~6.75AAA

I thought better of annihilating the PBP hopefulls with my ~10AAA 600 and will save that for even years at BR pace :demon:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #14 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:29:22 pm »
I think I did The Pendle, BCM and The 6A in one season. I might have done another rolling 600 in that year too, but I can't remember what it was.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #15 on: 13 July, 2018, 09:38:06 am »
You could always do a Cambrian Series AAA SR in a year.  No problem with crowds, and it's never been done before.  Marcus Yeo rode 3 x 200, 1 x 400 and 1 x 600 in his AAA championship year but missed out on the 300.

I did an SR full of gold grimpeurs in the days before the AAA SR  is probably not helpful - Highs & Looes (no longer running), Yr Elenydd (you've ruled out), Cambrian 4D, Bryan Chapman Scenic (too many entries for the Bryan Chapman these days).  However, it was a very enjoyable season and set me up well for the wet PBP the following year as I'd already got used to suffering.

I need to look into your routes... I opened a few and they seemed to go from A to B and back to A via the same route... logistically very convenient, but I prefer a loop, somehow...
I think I can do a 300 perm, not sure I want to do anything longer on my own.... not within brevet time restrictions at least

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #16 on: 13 July, 2018, 09:51:20 am »

I need to look into your routes... I opened a few and they seemed to go from A to B and back to A via the same route... logistically very convenient, but I prefer a loop, somehow...
I think I can do a 300 perm, not sure I want to do anything longer on my own.... not within brevet time restrictions at least

They are mostly loops.  There are only a couple of out and backs.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #17 on: 13 July, 2018, 10:08:39 am »

PBP is most certainly not flat, but it is not difficult in terms of hills or climbing. It's best described as rolling.

Even carrying too much in the rear bag, I never got around to  using granny ring, until a few km from the arrivee, as I knew if I didn't use it then, like so much kit in my rack bag - it would have been a waste taking it.

It's amusing to stand at the ramp up to the Mortagne control on the return, watching the velomobiles stall.

« Reply #18 on: 13 July, 2018, 12:36:18 pm »

Is there a special badge for this?!?!?

All I need to do is a 400 and 600 and I already have the cards for them...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #19 on: 13 July, 2018, 06:02:01 pm »

Is there a special badge for this?!?!?

All I need to do is a 400 and 600 and I already have the cards for them...

Sadly not.  You can just wear your AAA SR badge with extra pride.

« Reply #20 on: 15 July, 2018, 08:47:33 am »
If you fancy a trip up North, I should be running the Lakes Audaxes again in 2019.  200 and 300 on the same day, either 11th or 18th May (tba) with the option to sleep in the hall before and after.  Both have genuine AAA.  Can't remember the recent re-evaluations, but I think it might be 3.75 and 4.25 respectively.  The 300 is definitely less lumpy than the 200.  I've had a bit of a year off audaxing myself, in order to do some BAR time trialling, but will be back to it more fully as we head towards PBP and the TT itch has been scratched.  I have a vague plan for a 400 with AAA which I might unleash in 2019.  Just need the time this summer to properly prepare it.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #21 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:56:34 am »
If you fancy a trip up North, I should be running the Lakes Audaxes again in 2019.  200 and 300 on the same day, either 11th or 18th May (tba) with the option to sleep in the hall before and after.  Both have genuine AAA.  Can't remember the recent re-evaluations, but I think it might be 3.75 and 4.25 respectively.  The 300 is definitely less lumpy than the 200.  I've had a bit of a year off audaxing myself, in order to do some BAR time trialling, but will be back to it more fully as we head towards PBP and the TT itch has been scratched.  I have a vague plan for a 400 with AAA which I might unleash in 2019.  Just need the time this summer to properly prepare it.

Interesting...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #22 on: 19 July, 2018, 11:18:23 am »
... or the BCM 600 again... it's probably the only AAA 600 I can do without having to book a night or two somewhere. Hardly 2 hour drive, means it is by far the lowest budget option, despite being the most expensive to enter.

I could tweak the last leg to avoid main roads around and after Abergavenny... the route is second to none

decisions decisions...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #23 on: 13 August, 2018, 11:27:20 am »
Right, I have 3 out of 4 arranged... I want to pair the AAA SR with the SR Cymru award and get two pigeons with one stone

200: Barmount Boulevard perm (card bought)

400: Brevet Cymru (entered)

600 BCM (entered)

Just need a 300, which is proving quite difficult to find... I have a couple of options as perms, but ideally I would prefer a calendar event that starts early... I guess most BRM will be out within the next 4-6 weeks, so I just have to wait and see if a suitable 300 AAA in Wales pops up

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #24 on: 13 August, 2018, 11:40:27 am »
I cant see BCM on AUK?

I've got a chequebook this year, and am keen to ride this. Like you, I have no aspirations of PBP this time round, but am half eyeing a AAA SR(H) if I can free up weekends, and this fits the bill just fine and dandy.
Rule 77