Author Topic: Shimano Dura-ace Bar end shifters  (Read 2557 times)

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Shimano Dura-ace Bar end shifters
« on: 04 December, 2012, 11:44:04 am »
In looking at options for a trike or velomobile specification I was considering going with Shimano Dura-ace Bar end shifters based on my experience as a touring cyclist where they are popular. However, I notice over at BROL that there seems to be a bit of dislike for more recent incarnations of the shifters with some riders reporting issues.

I am curious to know if anyone here has had negative experiences with their Shimano Dura-ace Bar end shifters as my Google searches only bring up threads at BROL and the Catrike forum.

Thanks
Andrew

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Shimano Dura-ace Bar end shifters
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2012, 12:28:21 pm »
I ride a SWB bike with under-seat steering.  The bar-end shifters are a natural contact point if you lean it against a wall, or it falls on the ground.

I've found that the 9-speed Dura-Ace shifters are effectively a disposable item.  What seems to happen, if you don't completely destroy them by sliding along the tarmac, is the ring with the indexing detents weakens and cracks when the lever is subjected to horizontal force (hence the non-indexed front shifter seems to be more durable).  When it splits, the indexing on half the cassette goes to pot, but friction mode still works.  Eventually it disintegrates further and the shifter loses friction, so you have to hold it in place until you get home.

I'm currently running a pair of Microshift bar-ends, to see if they last any longer.  So far so good (they work just as well as the Shimano, but lack a switchable friction mode), but the bike has only had one gentle fall on grass (by a newbie rider) in that time.  I've been especially careful about contact points when stowing the bike on trains since I worked out that was what was damaging them.

Obviously a trike or velomobile wouldn't have most of these problems.  Barakta's ICE trike has one of my orphaned shifters fitted with an extended handle, and that continues to be fine.  The drop-barred DF tourer crowd don't seem to think they're particularly unreliable, either.

Aushiker

« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2012, 12:36:15 pm »
The drop-barred DF tourer crowd don't seem to think they're particularly unreliable, either.

Which includes me hence my surprise at the experiences being reported. Your response has been very informative. Thanks for taking the time to provide some detail.  I am guessing then in a trike/velomobile situation Shimano should be okay going your comments or rather the Velomobile in particular.

Andrew

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2012, 12:48:42 pm »
I think they would, though I'd carry a spare shifter of some sort for serious touring.  I've fitted a parking brake to my bike (which is surprisingly useful to have when you've got a propstand and full touring load) operated by a standard friction thumb shifter lower down the bar, in the style of many trikes.  If I had a catastrophic shifter failure miles from anywhere, I could swap the cables and use it to work the gears.

Also worth noting, for USS two-wheeler riders: a strategically positioned bell on the outside of the bar can act as a cheap sacrificial component to protect the shifter and brake lever from bashes and scrapes.

Shimano Dura-ace Bar end shifters
« Reply #4 on: 04 December, 2012, 12:53:46 pm »
The only issue I had on the set fitted to the peregrine was peeling paint lacquer. Mechanically they worked flawlessly on either indexed or friction setting. I would use them again without hesitation if I had a bike that needed them.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 04 December, 2012, 01:06:08 pm »
Oh, I vaguely recall reading that the Ultegra shifters (6-8 speed) are substantially different in terms of durability of construction, so anecdata on their reliability should be ignored for the purposes of this thread.

« Reply #6 on: 04 December, 2012, 01:19:12 pm »
The drop-barred DF tourer crowd don't seem to think they're particularly unreliable, either.

I don't think they are using Dura Ace.

I have bar end levers on my mercian (it came 2nd hand with them fitted). 8spd index or friction.

That bike has been crashed many times, handlebars smashed into the ground. The only damage to the shifters is that the rubber cover has come off one lever.  The shifters have proven to be more durable than handlebars.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 04 December, 2012, 01:31:06 pm »

That seems likely, especially for the friction enthusiasts.  Some must be running 9-speed though.

I also think that drop bars are much less likely to put substantial force on the shifter when leaning against something - unlike a USS recumbent, the steering doesn't achieve a hard lock against the seat.  So it's only dropping the bike you have to worry about.

Plus, with drops you tend to fit the shifters the other way up, so the metal bracket is on the outside rather than the plastic ring.  Admittedly you can do that with a recumbent (ICE seem to favour it, for some reason), but I prefer the ergonomics of a lever pointing away from me and the cable not in the crook of my thumb.

Aushiker

« Reply #8 on: 05 December, 2012, 02:39:15 am »

The likes of the Surly Long Haul Trucker comes standard with SL-BS77 shifters (9 speed Dura-ace). Lot of them around the place including at my place :)

Andrew