Author Topic: Alfine hub - unexpected crack, unexpected free replacement...  (Read 2749 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Alfine hub - unexpected crack, unexpected free replacement...
« on: 09 December, 2013, 09:41:38 pm »
Hi chaps,

Just thought I'd mention here (I shall write a full blog post in due course) that Alfie's back wheel is currently at Madison.

I had noticed that the Alfine-11 leaks about 10ml of oil every 4000 miles or so. Not something I was particularly bothered by but I thought it worth mentioning to my contact at Madison, Huw, who was super-helpful over my wrong-oil issue a couple of years back.

He said that Shimano now use different seals in the Alfine-11 and he was happy to arrange collection of my wheel and to change them for me.

So I organised it for when I was away in Hamburg last week.

Here's the email I received from him:

Bad news I’m afraid, I’ve discovered the cause of the leak from your hub, but it’s not going to be repairable.
Unfortunately the disc rotor mount has split from the main body of the hub, I’ll have to strip your wheel down and rebuild it for you.
If your happy with me sorting it all out then I can go ahead but it may take a bit longer than expected. Should be back with you early next week?
That's quite impressive really!

I asked him to go ahead, wondering what had caused this (I don't have a rear disk brake) and sort and then got this email:

It is interesting as to how it’s failed, I’m not quite sure what’s gone on, Shimano will want to see it back.
To be fair, you probably wouldn’t have seen it, if you’ve not got a rotor installed then there is a little black cover that goes over it (which was installed).
Having looked at your hub to strip down the spokes/nipples, it looks like your rim is probably on it’s way out, the braking surface is pretty worn.
Would you be able to see if ICE have a replacement wheel available for you? I can cover the cost of the wheel under warranty for you.
Sorry to keep going back and forth with this..
So I rang ICE and asked them to send Huw a new rim. Neil Selwood suggested that Huw phoned them about the spoke lacing (there's minimal dishing so it isn't how Huw might assume) and I passed on ICE's phone number to Huw by email.

Then I received this email:
I’ve just given Neil a ring about the wheel.
There will be a new rim & spokes on the way to me for next week, I should have a new wheel built up for you before the weekend.
I’ll check the new Alfine hub over before it comes out to you, but should be all ok.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that an entirely new Alfine hub, a new rim and new spokes? And free postage to and from Madison.

I am super-glad I put a box of chocolates in the box with my wheel - here's hoping Huw got them.

I'm riding the old Trice Q at the moment and really, REALLY missing my disk brakes, my B&M light with dynohub and especially my Alfine-11. I'm looking forward to getting my wheel back, although like Trigger's Broom I don't think there'll be anything of the old one left.

That Alfine-11 had done 18,000 miles.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Alfine hub - unexpected crack, unexpected free replacement...
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2013, 10:23:44 pm »
How did you manage to wear the rim out with just the parking brake?   :o

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2013, 10:27:40 pm »
Because I tend to forget the parking brake is on (it wasn't very well adjusted for most of its life) and head off down the road, thinking to myself "my legs are a bit rubbish!", before realising after a mile or two.

Plus it has to cope with me getting up and down off the trike when it's just held by the parking brake and I am quite a heffalump.

Still, I am impressively destructive on rear ends of trikes. My Trice Q had a new rear end (swing-arm) and also I had to have a new capreo hub after I killed the old one. Now my Sprint has also had problems at the rear hub. Neil thinks it's just my mileage, in all weathers, and with high power (I am a grinder).

All I can say is, the box of mixed chocs/fudge I sent Huw a year or so back was well worth it!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2013, 10:51:24 pm »
Because I tend to forget the parking brake is on (it wasn't very well adjusted for most of its life) and head off down the road, thinking to myself "my legs are a bit rubbish!", before realising after a mile or two.

Ah yes, I've done that myself enough times (the stock parking brake from barakta's trike now lives on my Streetmachine, where it's a lot more useful than you might expect).  Barakta has a Tektro disc from my spares box on the rear wheel, with a standard brake lever and Mk1 velcro strap to operate it - the braking effect is much less ambiguous on that one :)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4 on: 11 December, 2013, 04:31:07 pm »
Huw just asked if I wanted a silver or a black hub - I'm going for black this time round.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 11 December, 2013, 04:41:49 pm »
Black goes with everything.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #6 on: 11 December, 2013, 04:52:34 pm »
That's terrific service, Auntie H! Very impressive.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 11 December, 2013, 05:58:17 pm »
I cannot speak highly enough of Huw. I periodically send him boxes of biscuits/fudge/choc to thank him.

I guess this time round it's a warranty replacement (the last time he worked on it for me was when I sed the wrong oil, nowt to do with him, but the whole thing cost me nothing) except that after 2.5 years and 18,000 miles I guess it's out of warranty. But a new one now means fresh warranty!

« Reply #8 on: 11 December, 2013, 06:33:48 pm »
But a new one now means fresh warranty!

Don't count chickens: most suppliers don't simply reset the warranty clock in this sort of situation - the replacement normally gets something like 90 days or the balance of the original period, whichever is greater.

Mind you, it doesn't sound like Huw's likely to hide behind warranty small print anytime soon - he must be a fab contact to have.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #9 on: 11 December, 2013, 08:16:04 pm »
Yeah, he's brill. Building me a whole new wheel seems above and beyond the call of duty.

I will write a letter to his boss in due course saying how brilliant and helpful he is!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 13 December, 2013, 05:38:48 pm »
Email just received:

Wheels all done and it’s boxed up ready to go, should be with you before 12 tomorrow morning. The TNT consignment is ........
Today is my last day in warranty, I’m staying with the company but off to a different department. If you have any further problems, let me know, I will be on this email still.
Hope Germany goes well for you, I’ll keep an eye on your blog.

Here's hoping he got a promotion - he deserves it!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #11 on: 14 December, 2013, 04:08:56 pm »
In today's post:

It's not all entirely new - that's my original axle bolts either side and the green/blue spacer thingies.

However, it is a new sprocket - I was going to have to get another of those in a a few more thousand miles.

The bill has come from ICE - I have paid for the rim and the spokes (a shade under £50). Not bad for a full wheel rebuild!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2014, 10:56:58 pm »
Here's my blog write-up of my new hub gear.

http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/alfie-gets-another-alfine/