Author Topic: Health and fitness goals 2018?  (Read 10488 times)

Health and fitness goals 2018?
« on: 30 December, 2017, 10:21:23 pm »
I'm just curious if anyone has goals for next year relating to health and fitness. Well it's the time of year for this afterall.

My partner is talking of cutting down on cakes and biscuits; eat less meat and try to do her commute quicker.

Personally I know anything like this will fail. I prefer resolutions to be made further into the year since in January they tend to fail. However this year has seen my regular commute to become hard work and slower. So my aims are to get fitter through more exercise and speed up again to the pace I used to commute at.

However my real aims are to just keep as healthy as I can. Exercise is key in this. I think that to manage this I need to return to a gym. Weight training is needed and home use of weights never seemed to work for me. At my old gym a freedom trainer was in a quiet corner. Most never knew how to use it but I got shown a few things then made up my own. It's a weights machine with pulleys and two independent arms that the end of the wires came from. Those arms were adjustable in multi axis. It meant you could mimic the power motion of most sports using upper body movement. For my sport of kayaking I could mimic the stroke of a paddle. I could pull with the upper hand and push with the lower hand against the weight on the stack. It worked the same muscles. Not good for cycling but excellent for upper body and core muscles. Plus you felt it in your legs too if you used it whilst sat on a gym ball. If I could mimic that machine with just weights I'd not need a gym.

So what are your aims?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Health and fitness goals 2018?
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2017, 12:07:46 am »
Aim number 1 is still to be breathing in a year's time.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2017, 12:21:11 am »
To stop coughing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2017, 12:22:50 am »
Realistically none.
I might try to lose some weight but I'm not overweight, can't take any exercise and like my cakes and chocolates.

I will turn 60 in the middle of the year and expect a birthday card from the NHS, which should be fun  ;D
Hope all that goes OK.

I my MS gets no worse and that my excellent health continues.

I'm lucky really...

« Reply #4 on: 31 December, 2017, 06:07:01 am »
To stop coughing.

+1, and to sleep better. 

and to actually do some training myself rather than spending all my free time coaching others

« Reply #5 on: 31 December, 2017, 08:10:07 am »
Accidents not withstanding I aim to run a half marathon in late October.   Those who know me will understand the size of the challenge.   

« Reply #6 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:55:02 am »
Accidents not withstanding I aim to run a half marathon in late October.   Those who know me will understand the size of the challenge.
Sounds good.
I would like to work up to being able to manage to run that distance again. Managed 13km on thurs but knees were a bit sore.

Getting cycling again - feeling comfortable doing 100miles in a day again and being comfortable on the bike for 8 hours at a stretch.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 31 December, 2017, 10:03:56 am »
Get my hip operation out of the way and rehabilitate/recover from it. Start doing circuit training sessions
again. Balance bass practice with cycling (and fit my shift job in too).

Oh, and not worry about my weight. It'll come down naturally when I become active again.

« Reply #8 on: 31 December, 2017, 10:41:36 am »
2018 is also realistically my last opportunity to do a Dun Run or similar overnighter solo.   I would like to tick it off the list but it isn't a must do.

« Reply #9 on: 31 December, 2017, 01:39:25 pm »
I have two, one is a continuation of a good thing which started back in September and the other is a new challenge. Neither are spectacular, but life is going to be even busier than last year and I don't want to set myself up to fail from the outset.
The continuation is that I have returned to using a longer ride into work. It's only 4.4 miles as opposed to 2.9, so not a huge distance, but it does include a serious hill and the little bits all add up. I'd like to keep that as my 'usual' ride for this year.
The new thing is that I would like to run both into and home from work on the same day. The route I use is about 6km (I'm not really sure why I track cycling in miles and running in km but there you go). I've only ever run home so far. MrsC works just round the corner so getting a lift in is fairly easy, but she finishes at 1.00. I would need careful planning about things like breakfast and carrying stuff into work but I'm sure that's all solvable. Has to wait until the light returns though. I wouldn't want to run on those lanes in the dark.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #10 on: 31 December, 2017, 02:03:28 pm »
After a DNF on LEL, this autumn has been a bit meh so the aim is to start the training again properly.  I have put on 4 lbs since summer so really need to lose about 10lbs to be at my best weight. 

I have agreed that I will stick to 600s from now on (although I may try for a PBP pass next year) so I have BCM which i have helped at but never completed as the major ride for the year.

Like Helly I too am 60 this year although I do not believe it and think the calendars are wrong as I cannot be that old.  I plan on staying in my 50s for at least another 10 years.  So that means more time doing weights and Pilates to keep me fit.

« Reply #11 on: 31 December, 2017, 10:38:04 pm »
To stop coughing.
So you have a cause for the coughing? I coughed for a year plus and turns out it's asthma. Ventolin prescription later it's sorted.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #12 on: 01 January, 2018, 12:07:45 am »
Whooping cough.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 01 January, 2018, 09:14:53 am »
To reach 2019 still mentally sound and physically undiminished, other than in weight.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14 on: 01 January, 2018, 09:24:39 am »
More a system than a goal, I'm still going to keep looking for the way to stabilise my weight. After having got back to where I am content with said avoirdupois. (Why doesn't that mean "having peas"?)

« Reply #15 on: 01 January, 2018, 09:43:12 am »
To reach 2019 still mentally sound and physically undiminished, other than in weight.

+1

« Reply #16 on: 06 January, 2018, 02:08:28 pm »
I've kind of lost my way with regards to cycling these past few years. Some of it due to health, some due to location. Recently took a long hard look at the stable of bikes and made some changes to better suit my current situation and goals for the next year.

The mtb is staying because it's fun to play in the hills, and some bikepacking gear will be added as funds allow for goal number one: riding the Capital Trail which is right on my doorstep.

The skinny tyred road bike was great when I was younger and lighter,  but totally unsuitable for putting in the miles now that I'm older and much less fit. In the hopes that actual racing will motivate me more, that's been turned into a similarly unsuitable TT bike for goal number two: a handful of time trials and possibly a short triathlon.

The Pompino fixed gear was a great daily bike for tearing about town, less great in the hilly countryside I'm now in. That's in the process of being replaced with a much more comfortable converted vintage mtb for racking up daily miles. It's being fitted with racks for goal number three: a couple of short tours in the Highlands this summer.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #17 on: 07 January, 2018, 12:04:09 pm »
Cycling for fun has been pretty much on the back burner during 2017 due to work, life, health issues. Utility cycling has been the mainstay. I did get a bit of hillwalking in, which was very enjoyable.

So for 2018, try to keep the hillwalking but start doing more cycling and longer rides when I have time. Also restart a regular exercise regime to help fitness.

Don't know if I'll manage an audax this year, we shall see.

Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #18 on: 08 January, 2018, 01:38:14 am »
Finishing my local parkrun in under 22mins. Judging by the amount of base miles I'll have to slog through to achieve that though, the bicycles might only get used when I'm injured!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #19 on: 04 April, 2018, 05:36:09 am »
For cycling, I use this [https://www.aids4mobility.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4022]pedal machine[/url] and it helped me a lot to train my legs.

« Reply #20 on: 04 April, 2018, 08:26:19 am »
Starting to ride a bike again. That was a goal for 2017, which due to work demands, utterly failed. I managed to do some level of jogging, but almost zilch cycling.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #21 on: 04 April, 2018, 08:32:54 am »
Apathy post 2017 marathon and a metatarsal stress fracture in September killed off most of my plans (I only started running again properly in January and I'm easing back into it as I don't want to injure myself).

I've done 2 parkruns in the last 12 months and have lost and put back on the weight (95kg now). So, starting again:-

Goals for next ~13 months (leading up to London Marathon 2019):-

* Get back in to a regular routine (swimming, cycling three times a week, 5-a-side twice a week, 11.5km run commute once a week extended to a HM run commute once a month, intervals once a week when the weight is under 90kg, parkrun, long slow run on Sundays)
* Weight down to under 80kg by Christmas (~37 weeks and ~15kg to lose) and to ~76kg by April 2019 (London Marathon - sub 4:15, possibly sub 4h if I get under 76kg, sub 3:43:00 would be my absolute dream)
* A few HM races over the next year, just to keep the long runs interesting and hopefully see some proper race progression
* Parkrun PB sometime around late October hopefully (PB is 24:24 currently) as the weight comes off. 21:59 as a longer term goal, maybe lower if speed improves lots with weight coming off
* Sub-hour run commute (1h15 last time I did it, 11.6km, 1:05:48 PB)
* 50 parkruns by April next year (currently on 23) including a few volunteering!
* Run all of the paths/tracks on Putney Heath, and when that's done, Wimbledon Common (introduces some nice variation to the long runs, I can get right down to the Southern end at Barham Road in about 6km from home, so should be easy to pick off un-run bits)
* Swim Serpentine 2 mile swim again in September 2018 (really enjoyed that last year despite it being cold!)
* Keeping entering the Ride 100 ballot as I want the London Classics medal (assuming I actually finish the London Marathon in 2019) - would consider charity place if I'm unlucky in the ballot in 2019 (no place this year in the ballot)

(I have a London Marathon place for 2018, thanks to the ballot, but I'll be deferring it due to my foot so that's my place guaranteed for 2019. I'll also be passing on the Brighton Marathon place I have this year which was my backup.)

Standard week (this looks heavy but has worked well for me in the past when I was on the verge of doing an Ironman):-

Daymorningafternoonevening
MonSwim (40m building to 1h20m)Cycle (40km building to at least 60km)afternoon run once a month
TueRun (5k building to 10k, switch to intervals when under 90kg)gentle 15m swim whilst MiniGB has lesson40min 5-a-side plus 6km gentle cycling to/from
Wedrestrestrest
Thu11km cycle commute with heavy bike/bags1h 5-a-side, pub and train home
FriRun commute in (5km building back up to full 10.5k)11km cycle commute with heavy bike again
SatParkrun
SunLong slow run (building up to HM and beyond)

Build up weeks 1,2,3 and then every 4th week have an easier week to help recovery (shorter or easier runs mostly).

Weight goals:
(Starting at ~97kg the other day.)
90kg by August 2018: move Tuesday run to intervals
80kg by Christmas 2018
76kg by April 2019
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #22 on: 14 October, 2018, 12:55:59 pm »
Apathy finally wore off in September 2018 and I finally got started again. Time for an update and add some more goals for 2019.

Goals for next ~13 months (leading up to London Marathon 2019):-

* Get back in to a regular routine (swimming, cycling three times a week, 5-a-side twice a week, 11.5km run commute once a week extended to a HM run commute once a month, intervals once a week when the weight is under 90kg, parkrun, long slow run on Sundays) started...
* Weight down to under 80kg by Christmas (~37 weeks and ~15kg to lose) and to ~76kg by April 2019 (London Marathon - sub 4:15, possibly sub 4h if I get under 76kg, sub 3:43:00 would be my absolute dream) Ha. Weight 96kg now so goals rejigged accordingly
* A few HM races over the next year, just to keep the long runs interesting and hopefully see some proper race progression Entered the Big Half (London) in March and will do some local ones when weight is down
* Parkrun PB sometime around late October hopefully (PB is 24:24 currently) as the weight comes off. 21:59 as a longer term goal, maybe lower if speed improves lots with weight coming off No chance as still 96kg. Probably Mar/Apr time
* Sub-hour run commute (1h15 last time I did it, 11.6km, 1:05:48 PB) Still building up to full run commute - 6km next week
* 50 parkruns by April next year (currently on 23) including a few volunteering! No chance as I haven't done many more in the last few months
* Run all of the paths/tracks on Putney Heath, and when that's done, Wimbledon Common (introduces some nice variation to the long runs, I can get right down to the Southern end at Barham Road in about 6km from home, so should be easy to pick off un-run bits) No progress
* Swim Serpentine 2 mile swim again in September 2018 (really enjoyed that last year despite it being cold!) DONE! 1h14m
* Keeping entering the Ride 100 ballot as I want the London Classics medal (assuming I actually finish the London Marathon in 2019) - would consider charity place if I'm unlucky in the ballot in 2019 (no place this year in the ballot) Ballot entered, find out in Feb

Standard week (this looks heavy but has worked well for me in the past when I was on the verge of doing an Ironman):-

(Monday focus moved to cycling rather than swimming as I need to concentrate on weight loss and cycling does that the best for me. Big Monday swims will come back after the new year.)

Daymorningafternoonevening
MonCycle (up to 100km)...afternoon run once a month
TueRun (5k building to 10k, switch to intervals when under 90kg)gentle 15m swim whilst MiniGB has lesson40min 5-a-side plus 6km gentle cycling to/from
WedEasy 4k-5k Run (Y5/Y6 running club at school)restrest
Thu11km cycle commute with heavy bike/bags1h 5-a-side, pub and train home
FriRun commute in (5km building back up to full 10.5k)11km cycle commute with heavy bike again
SatParkrun
SunLong slow run (building up to HM and beyond)

Build up weeks 1,2,3 and then every 4th week have an easier week to help recovery (shorter or easier runs mostly). Also fits with ~12 week blood donation schedule (that has to be an easy week!)

Weight goals:
(Starting at ~96kg the other day.)
90kg by Christmas 2018: move Tuesday run to intervals, 16 week marathon plan starts
80kg by April 2019
76kg by end of May 2019
See if I can get to 70kg at some point in 2019 if that's where increased running takes me.

Longer term goals:-

March 2019: The Big Half (1h50)
April 2019: London Marathon (3h45)
Summer 2019: Ironman 70.3 possibly
Sep 2019: Swim Serpentine 2 mile swim (possibly the Super 6) - goal: sub 1h for the 2 miles or ~3h for the super 6
Nov 2019: 10k swim 'marathon' at the Olympic pool
2020: Ironman possibly

Would also like to go back and do the Mersey Roads 24h TT with some proper training and aim for 400 miles...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #23 on: 14 October, 2018, 01:17:13 pm »
Good goals, Greenbank.

Mine for 2019:

Knee recovery, so I can run and cycle again.

Chin ups - more than 20 reps at a time (last year's goal was managing 40 pushups; I do 60 most mornings now so achieved that one).

Kayaking; paddle a full marathon distance at training pace. So in under 5 hours for me. I never managed to complete a marathon-distance race when I was in my 20s, generally collapsed from exhaustion.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #24 on: 14 October, 2018, 04:29:10 pm »
Goals for end of 2018:

Rowing:

- keep my seat in men’s coxed 4
- progress sculling to the point I can train effectively (maintain heart rate above 130-140) in a fine single
- good performance in some head races in the 4
- improve technically

Cycling:
- do some base training over the latter part of the year; FTP at end of the year around 240-250
- ride at least one 200k event between now and end of near (Upper Thames)

General fitness:
- improve form in power lifting moves
- body fat under 15% by Christmas
- weight 80kg or less currently 83kg by Christmas

2019:

- still in coxed 4
- qualify for and ride sub 75h PBP
- race at national level regattas in the 4
- race at a regional regatta in a single and/or a double