Author Topic: superfast, superstrong 26" rear wheel  (Read 2484 times)

Tiger

superfast, superstrong 26" rear wheel
« on: 17 July, 2008, 05:39:35 pm »
I want a bombproof superfast and light rear wheel for the fujin. What is the gold standard 26" wheel out there. Bling standout would be good too. 

I was thinking about trispokes and discs etc.

Will be used in all sorts of riding incuding audaxes so needs to be tough and light to go uphills.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: superfast, superstrong 26" rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2008, 05:44:55 pm »
The wheel on the concept is a tandem grade semi deep section wheel. I can attest to it being bombproof.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2008, 06:18:37 pm »
I had a look at some disc wheels for mine, have you seen the price of them  :o Cost more than the bike did!!

Rich.

Tiger

« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2008, 06:53:12 pm »
Yeah - and if I have one I will be able to hold you off on a ride!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2008, 07:01:35 pm »
bombproof  and light doesn't combine, but check Aerospoke

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:19:47 pm »
Get a 28-spoke ultegra hub and tie it to a 650c tubular tyre rim.  It'll be a very slightly different size to a true 26" wheel, but it'll be strong, light, and feel extremely fast. 

richie_b

« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2008, 11:25:25 pm »
You could try a HED wheel.
Hed Recumbent Wheels
They make them in all sorts of sizes & they look really lovely!
I was quoted £349 + £15(??) postage & delivery time of 2-3 weeks.
I'm thinking of a 406 wheel for the front of my Fujin.  If I make the jump, I'll let you know how it goes...
For a 3 spoke or disc rear, you'll prob need to get a 650c wheel & move/change/remove-cos-they're-quite-pointless the rear brake.
I've been checking this out recently & HED seemed best in the value for money stakes.
I should add that the UK distributor is here: www.labicicleta.co.uk

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2008, 11:41:11 pm »
Does a disc wheel make that much difference, compared to a normal light wheel with a cover on it.
It's a damn site cheaper to put a cover on than buy a wheel.

Rich.

« Reply #8 on: 18 July, 2008, 09:36:48 am »
Everybody's position in the weight vs. robustness spectrum will, I'm sure, be different; but for Audax, I would suggest:

32 hole Sun Ringle UFO 559 rim, Ultegra hub, laced 3X drive side with plain guage spokes, radial non-drive side with butted spokes (which helps to equalise spoke tension between dished and non-dished sides). And a Stelvio.

The rim is light, which means that peripheral revolving weight is minimised. The "extra" four spokes are well worth their weight for reliability. If you want anything significantly faster but still "bombproof", you'd need tubs, I reckon; I don't really see Audax and tubs going together. And I don't know of any robust 650C tubs, anyway.
Profit or planet?

richie_b

« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:04:50 pm »
I've actually now ordered a 406 HED wheel for my Fujin: I'll let you know how I go on when it arrives if you want.  Glasgow roads will find out any lack of strength in no time at all...
It should arrive in 2-3 weeks.