Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1297845 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6875 on: 19 December, 2018, 10:48:24 am »
Well, as I doubt I'll remember to weigh in in 26th, my years's effort finishes today. Not an unqualified success, as I was aiming for 76kg, with a starting point of 101kg. All went really well until mid-August, when I went back to work, having been unemployed, and therefore cycling a lot, for the whole year to that date. Low point was 83.5kg in  August, but despite being back in a sedentary job I've managed not to gain too much, finishing at 85.8kg. Helped I suspect by getting back to the gym 3 times a week, albeit with no real aerobic activity, mostly weights and core.

Hopefully I'll be sensible over the break, and better still get my turbo set up in the shed to supplement the gym work.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6876 on: 19 December, 2018, 10:56:37 am »
The important things about weight control are continued motivation and maintenance of good eating habits.

You've done extremely well and need to enjoy festivities without losing motivation.

OK. I'm saying this as making it public will help with motivation. My diet is pretty good most of the time. I eat avocado, one or two slices of soughdough a day, brown rice, sweet potato, fish - eg mackerel or salmon, yoghurt, berries, a banana, peanut butter/rice cake etc. I'm like one of those motivation fitness blogs without the picture of a person doing yoga in the background.

I don't eat crisps, chocolate, calorific puddings, chips, soda - all the usual things that people cut out when they start a diet. I don't mind these foods but they are not part of my diet, I don't crave them and rarely if ever, have them.

My big pitfalls are beers, coffee and portion control after I've been exercising. I've trained for marathons and gained weight! I get into the habit of having two or three beers a night for a week and then stop for a week and then start again. No rhyme or reason, I just like beer. This is a habit I need to get out of after Christmas. When I go out (not very often) and have a binge I find it really hard to shift the subsequent weight gain.

I've got polycystic ovaries which makes it even more of a pain to lose weight.

I cycle everywhere, gym three or four times a week (bench press, squats, deadlift), wattbike sessions a couple of times a week. I'm really challenging myself now and trying to hit targets.

My body might be annoying but I'm going to drink more water (rather than coffee) and battle through the knawing hunger and try to sort it out in January!

« Reply #6877 on: 19 December, 2018, 11:17:25 am »
Thanks for the encouragement.  :thumbsup:  I'd exercise more, but my wife does occasionally like my company of an evening  :), and that mitigates against longer or more frequent gym/training sessions. I really need to get a grip of portion control though. My wife has always eaten little (she's a recovered anorexic, though it's been a long time since then, and a large portion on her plate will kill her appetite on the spot) and she maintains a stable weight whilst being reasonable active. Her portions are probably 1/3 the size of mine. I probably need to reduce mine by 1/3 in reality.

I've managed to reduce significantly my intake of crisps and chocolate etc. - thanks largely to a reduction in stress at work. And alcohol as well in recent weeks - and for the next week by force majeure, as the antibiotics I've been prescribed for a dental abscess have an "antabuse-like" effect if you drink, and for 48 hours after finishing the course. That takes me to Christmas lunch!  :-\ Hey ho, it's still better than an abscess.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6878 on: 20 December, 2018, 10:18:02 pm »
1.5lb down this week, making my total loss 2st 1lb after 11 weeks. I got my 2 stone award, and also my "Club 10", which means I have lost 10% of my starting body weight.

The next weigh-in is on 27th. How much will I have put on after our curry on Saturday with pal Jon et al; Christmas Day with its surfeit of turkey and stuff(ing); Boxing Day at my brother's place... ?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #6879 on: 20 December, 2018, 11:01:54 pm »
Losing weight for a week is easy - 11 weeks, not so much - so Top Work there, Wow  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6880 on: 20 December, 2018, 11:19:13 pm »
1.5lb down this week, making my total loss 2st 1lb after 11 weeks. I got my 2 stone award, and also my "Club 10", which means I have lost 10% of my starting body weight.

The next weigh-in is on 27th. How much will I have put on after our curry on Saturday with pal Jon et al; Christmas Day with its surfeit of turkey and stuff(ing); Boxing Day at my brother's place... ?

I don't care!

You'll have lost it all, with interest, after January 10, so long as you resume your eating plan as soon as you're home.

Some folk don't weigh themselves when they feast. Some do.

Think of it as an academic exercise.

Well done for losing 10% of your weight!

simonp

« Reply #6881 on: 20 December, 2018, 11:25:26 pm »
Graphs are updated.

Umm... some of mine seem 'stuck' in the past.

ETA Apologies. I see updated graphs when I click through to the big ones on your site but the old ones persist on the yacf page.

I am in awe of Gus!

Ah I was going to investigate but there's no need - thanks for the update.

The project to make the x-axis scale show months rather than week numbers remains stalled.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6882 on: 20 December, 2018, 11:34:21 pm »
Graphs are updated.

Umm... some of mine seem 'stuck' in the past.

ETA Apologies. I see updated graphs when I click through to the big ones on your site but the old ones persist on the yacf page.

I am in awe of Gus!

Ah I was going to investigate but there's no need - thanks for the update.

The project to make the x-axis scale show months rather than week numbers remains stalled.

Techno-glitches HAPPEN!

We're still very grateful for all the work you put into this!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6883 on: 21 December, 2018, 08:24:53 am »
The interesting thing is that I can lose 2 stone and I haven't made any changes to my wardrobe. My shirts are baggier and I don't need to do my trousers up quite so far underneath my paunch and I have sometimes had to tighten my belt during the day to stop them from falling down. I reckon that if I can make it to <17 stones, that is when the differences will come. If everything goes according to plan, that will be around the end of February.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #6884 on: 24 December, 2018, 06:57:49 am »
Had to make an early check on my scale, since I'm of to Sweden for a couple of days.
But I've reached my target for 2018- I think it's the first time I've stayed on the narrow path and reached the goal.

Merry X-mas to all and enjoy some great meals and remember it's better to eat a little extra between Christmas and New year, than the opposite ;) ;)

« Reply #6885 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:15:21 am »
Congratulations Gus.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6886 on: 24 December, 2018, 02:06:07 pm »
Well done Gus!
Have a lovely trip to Sweden!

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6887 on: 24 December, 2018, 07:13:04 pm »
Well done Gus.

I'm going to kick my rubbish eating habits into touch this year.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6888 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:37:32 pm »
I've crept up a smidge over the last fortnight but doubt this gain will persist.
We will see...

Anyway, I'm wishing everyone success in the battle of the bulge for 2019!

Hoping those who have lost spectacular amounts in 2018 maintain their success!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6889 on: 27 December, 2018, 07:27:45 pm »
According to tonight's weigh-in I have increased by 3.5lb on last week. This puzzles me, firstly because I have mostly continued to be very abstemious and secondly, I weighed myself on our home scales before I went. They have kept pace with the Slimming World scales pretty faithfully in the whole 12 weeks that I have been trying to lose weight. I was expecting to break even, or perhaps to go up by 1lb.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6890 on: 27 December, 2018, 07:34:38 pm »
Fret not, as I say every festive season.

Even if you've not eaten much more carb, it attracts up to four times its weight in water. If you've been relatively carb-depleted, even SMALL amounts of festive fare will act as a sponge.

Can't explain the discrepancy between weighing machines though.

simonp

« Reply #6891 on: 31 December, 2018, 12:26:29 pm »
End of year report:

Same weight as 12 months ago, within the noise margin anyway.

Maybe slightly lower body fat => small increase in muscle mass.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6892 on: 31 December, 2018, 12:34:58 pm »
End of year report 2018:
2-3kg less than at the start.
Same as several previous years.
Still 12kg less than the 74kg of January 2012.
BMI OK.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #6893 on: 02 January, 2019, 12:38:23 pm »
End of the year report.

For the first time in many years, I ended the year a few grams lighter than when I started. Given that the previous years I've put weight on over the year, this is good news.

Now for 2019, time to lose some.

simonp

« Reply #6894 on: 02 January, 2019, 02:12:41 pm »
1 jan 2017 79.4kg
1 jan 2018 82.5kg
1 jan 2019 82.5kg

I put much of the slide in 2017 down to wrist injury and bronchitis. I still have fat to shift but the slide has stopped at least.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6895 on: 03 January, 2019, 11:38:28 pm »
Today at Slimming World I registered a 4.5lb loss on last week. That's a 1lb loss over the fortnight including Christmas and the new year. This morning I was 113kg, the lightest I have been for years. I would imagine that there are ancient weight loss threads which have me around the 110kg mark, but I don't know how long ago that would have been.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6896 on: 03 January, 2019, 11:46:27 pm »
Today at Slimming World I registered a 4.5lb loss on last week. That's a 1lb loss over the fortnight including Christmas and the new year. This morning I was 113kg, the lightest I have been for years. I would imagine that there are ancient weight loss threads which have me around the 110kg mark, but I don't know how long ago that would have been.

2012 https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=55300.msg1128953#msg1128953

If you didn't enter your 2018 weights here before you could still do this to get a morale-boosting graph...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6897 on: 04 January, 2019, 06:52:05 am »
Weighed myself this morning at 65.7kg, the lowest I've seen for some time. 

Not quite sure what the cause is, but I'm thinking possible loss of muscle mass I've the last ten weeks. General activity has been lower for the legs, but replaced some of it with swimming and tried to manage my intake to match activity. Also trying to be more mindful around the booze.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6898 on: 04 January, 2019, 09:58:16 am »
I'm joining in. I've done my weight report. I've got some big ambitions this year which include an SR, PBP and beatings my 5 and 10km run times.

The weight needs to go so I can enjoy this stuff as much as possible.

simonp

« Reply #6899 on: 04 January, 2019, 02:12:48 pm »
Hopefully will add 2019 to graphs over the weekend.