Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 403234 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #75 on: 29 March, 2014, 02:58:17 pm »
Oh bollocks....  (to the previous post, not any reflection on my own computing situation which is currently (clutches mahogany desktop and columbian pine desk) OK.  I just don't want to do what I have to, which is rejig version 8 of the show plan I finished weeks ago, and everyone has fucked about with, since.  Latest change is due to an exhibitor dying, the inconsiderate sod.  The plan needs to be with the venue's electricians by first thing Monday morning.
Wombat

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #76 on: 30 March, 2014, 12:46:54 am »
Another alternative to Firefox 29: Cyberfox - more up to date than Pale Moon, while still promising to avoid the new (Australis) user interface.

https://8pecxstudios.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=330
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #77 on: 30 March, 2014, 09:08:45 am »
I got bored with firefox a couple of months ago, constantly nagging for updates but not installing them. I've just found the page about Australis. It leads with the curve of the tabs, which was always something the really really bothered me about the old firefox.  :facepalm:

Afasoas

« Reply #78 on: 01 April, 2014, 01:20:41 pm »
Today's rant is mainly with Symantec. Their "Endpoint Protection" is the work of stan.

It's helpfully installed as 32-bit into a 64-bit environment.
It can't cope with an SMTP server that requires authentication - doesn't ask for authentication details when you configure it.
For some reason, in a Windows environment where IIS is natively supported, it installs it's own Apache server.
In it's present condition, it doesn't write to the Windows Event Logs. Instead it writes to event log files.
It doesn't work, despite a re-install.
I'm currently jumping through hoops to get tech. support.

So despite reading a good dozen positive reviews beforehand, this is one software choice I'm really regretting.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #79 on: 03 April, 2014, 11:12:40 pm »
David is sending me emails that I am not receiving.
I sent him an email tonight which he has not received.
We are not getting failure messages.
We seem to get emails from everybody else.
WHAT THE FUCK IS UP?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #80 on: 07 April, 2014, 08:08:49 pm »
Dyndns.

Why go to completely paid system?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 07 April, 2014, 08:26:12 pm »
Dyndns.

Why go to a completely paid system?

tiermat

« Reply #82 on: 07 April, 2014, 08:39:44 pm »
There's an echo in here.... :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #83 on: 07 April, 2014, 08:44:01 pm »
I think we all got the email...

tiermat

« Reply #84 on: 07 April, 2014, 08:46:49 pm »
Tbh it has spurred me on to do stuffs.

Since they blocked clients i have meant to change provider, intending, eventually, to cut out the middleman. The last bit, though, involves trying to deal with a difficult to deal with dns hosting company.

ETA Technicolour routers are a pita if you already have a dyndns supplier setup...

Chris S

« Reply #85 on: 08 April, 2014, 12:24:17 pm »
Ah, Chris. It's as well you're a professional, isn't it.

What's missing from this? : sudo usermod -G somegroup, someothergroup, chris chris

Yes, that's right you missed out "sudoers" from the group list didn't you Chris, and we know what that means don't we Chris? Yes, that means you're removed from the group because you didn't include -a in the options. As yours is the only account in the sudoers group, and this server's root account is disabled, you're a bit f00ked now, aren't you Chris?

Fuckwit.

Recover Mode toooo the rescue!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #86 on: 08 April, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »
Ah, Chris. It's as well you're a professional, isn't it.

What's missing from this? : sudo usermod -G somegroup, someothergroup, chris chris

Yes, that's right you missed out "sudoers" from the group list didn't you Chris, and we know what that means don't we Chris? Yes, that means you're removed from the group because you didn't include -a in the options. As yours is the only account in the sudoers group, and this server's root account is disabled, you're a bit f00ked now, aren't you Chris?

Fuckwit.

Recover Mode toooo the rescue!

F*ck it. Just go for a bike ride 8)
Pen Pusher

tiermat

« Reply #87 on: 08 April, 2014, 01:39:46 pm »
Fedora, stop fucking around with network interface names.

I have managed to lock myself out of my firewall due to this.

Logged on, found shorewall not running so started it.

Due to your messing around, changing eth0 to em1sp0, shorewall starts but blocks all interfaces other than eth0 and eth1...

Spot the problem...

« Reply #88 on: 08 April, 2014, 01:46:05 pm »
Fedora, stop fucking around with network interface names.

I have managed to lock myself out of my firewall due to this.

Logged on, found shorewall not running so started it.

Due to your messing around, changing eth0 to em1sp0, shorewall starts but blocks all interfaces other than eth0 and eth1...

Spot the problem...
Serial cable connection onto router?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #89 on: 08 April, 2014, 01:48:54 pm »
Good idea MrC, shall look into it, but, right at this moment, I am 60 miles away from it...

I HATE COMPUTERS

« Reply #90 on: 08 April, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »
Good idea MrC, shall look into it, but, right at this moment, I am 60 miles away from it...

I HATE COMPUTERS
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Try remotely supporting students who are trying to configure and install embedded Linux . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #91 on: 08 April, 2014, 02:25:20 pm »
Isn't that more on the lines of "have you blown up the processor board yet? If not, we'll try this again".

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #92 on: 08 April, 2014, 02:59:27 pm »
Network upgrade from fuckall megabit to 10gigabit was PROMISED by end of March.

We're a week into April and the notwork is more fucking useless than ever with added Win7 upgrades which fucked the luddite refuseniks' settings

Boss has chased, apparently central admin were told we'd been upgraded.  We haven't been. Don't need a speedtest to tell that with ALL our server side stuff timing out and crashing on us.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #93 on: 21 April, 2014, 03:18:30 pm »
I know my mum is a nightmare to tech support, she emits bogons and right now she's under epic stress so doesn't make sense.

However that does not justify Plusnet deciding instead of her name mailbox they'll just set her up on the account mailbox to "fix" the problem.  It doesn't, it loses ALL her proper email and everything. Oh and effectively changed her email address which they didn't tell her.

Thankfully she emailed me her password in plaintext and gave me enough garble that I was able to phone her up, get more sense, log in myself working out what passwords now applied and changed the mailbox passwords myself and RE-set her up on her proper user mailbox where she has a number of emails arriving from the last few days.

I hate having to run my mum's email account live but I think that's the only sane way to do it so if she has issues she can phone me and I can help work out if it's her shitty iPhone, shitty cellular, shitty wireless or some other issue causing issues.  Every time she phones Tesco (cellular provider) or Plusnet they break shit...

And Apple's stupid fucking piece of shit mailclient had better not still have that fucking bug where email just stops working and needs reconfigged from scratch cos Lightmail was a pain and I don't want to have to pay for something Apple should make work... 

I really need to see mum and her netbook, laptop, iPhone etc in person and do the techie fixes but due to $complicated that's not possible right now...  Technology...  Parents... 

At least my dad just collects and categorises spam as a hobby...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #94 on: 21 April, 2014, 09:28:32 pm »
Cables!  WTF is wrong with taking electrons from one end and spewing them out at the other in a predictable 1:1 manner?  If I wanted things to not work I'd be using wireless!

Raspberry Pi:  Known for being annoyingly surrounded by sockets on all sides.  Mounted inside an enclosure in such a way that a short HDMI male to HDMI panel mount female cable is needed to bring the HDMI socket out externally in a sensible and non-right-angular manner, with all the cutouts on a single panel.

Which would be fine, if the extension cable was just that.  But no, it's doing something (I can't face the continuity probing to work out what) that means all I get is an awake monitor with a black screen.  FFS!

David Martin

« Reply #95 on: 21 April, 2014, 10:45:38 pm »
Oh, HDMI.
You probably have a passive repeater built in and the cable is pointing the wrong way. DAHIKT

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #96 on: 21 April, 2014, 10:50:42 pm »
*peers at cable suspiciously*

Price would suggest that it's economising on ground wires or something, but anything's possible...

David Martin

« Reply #97 on: 21 April, 2014, 10:52:15 pm »
HDMI is a delusion of eitherendedness that is far from that in many cases.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #98 on: 21 April, 2014, 11:06:33 pm »
I'm convinced that HDMI is an attempt to do for DVI-D what USB did for RS232 - that is to say make it too clever, a tad nondeterministic and perpetually The Other Way Up.   >:(

Wrongendian cables would fit right into that philosophy...

David Martin

« Reply #99 on: 21 April, 2014, 11:21:52 pm »
And then you have to do real Electronic ENgineering if you want to do long cable runs, if you can get teh specs of the cables. Yes it can run 30m passively but iff you use the correct guage (24G minimum) cables and have something that can reliably produce the appropriate 50mA output (iPad I'm looking at you) otherwise the signal is too weak and the timing goes off.