Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391147 times)

Billy Weir

Random audax questions
« on: 21 March, 2011, 05:11:37 pm »
Thought I would start a thread for random quick questions that don't merit new topics of their own and probably involve little more than a sentence or two to respond with.

Factual questions and answers only.  Debate not needed.

Feel free to use and reuse as you please.

Billy Weir

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2011, 05:12:12 pm »
Does anyone know of any listed permanents that go through Dartmoor?

« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2011, 05:30:20 pm »
Are medals readily available at the finish or do you have to wait until your brevet card has been authenticated?

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2011, 05:35:34 pm »
Ride-specific medals & badges are usually available at the end of the ride, but some orgs post them afterwards.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2011, 05:53:41 pm »
Perhaps this should be a sticky & unstick poor old Mrs Miles.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2011, 06:34:17 pm »
Are medals readily available at the finish or do you have to wait until your brevet card has been authenticated?

The whole medals system is somewhat dysfunctional. 
They should be available at the finish - validation not required.  However most Organisers don't want all the hassle of sale-or-return, posting surplus stock back to HQ, etc. 
So instead they tend to be 'order at the finish, get the medal with your card' (if you're very lucky and it hasn't fallen out of the envelope, or fallen foul of large letter post). 
Some Organisers just won't handle medals at all, because of the extra postal hassle
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2011, 07:54:16 pm »
You can order medals at the end of the Audax year, if you prefer.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

steveindenmark

« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2011, 08:09:29 pm »
Does it hurt?

AndyH

« Reply #8 on: 21 March, 2011, 08:27:57 pm »
+1

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #9 on: 21 March, 2011, 10:18:49 pm »
Does anyone know of any listed permanents that go through Dartmoor?

No, but I once did a very nice 300km DIY that went round Dartmoor (Kingscombe-Exeter-Bude-Fowey), complete with views of the moor and sea, ferry crossings and everything. The Exter-Bude-Fowey stages were lifted whole from the K&SW routesheet, and not the flat bit. Actually, none of it was the flat bit; I certainly didn't feel short changed on the climbing front.

Passing through Lostwithiel at dusk, several hours behind schedule, I asked a native if I was good for Fowey. "Yes", she said, pausing before adding, "It's up the hill", and then, after looking me over, "It's a big hill". "Aren't they all?", I sighed.

Actually, this would make a great Perm/Calendar for those that don't feel man enough up to the full K&SW 600. Definately worth travelling for.

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 21 March, 2011, 10:20:43 pm »
+1

+2 (having read it once)

ruggtomcat

« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2011, 09:54:49 am »
I like Mrs Miles all sticky :)

« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2011, 06:02:41 pm »
Do you need a GPS thingymibob?

« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2011, 06:14:11 pm »
Not for normal rides, though many riders like to use them (similarly, many dislike them!).

« Reply #14 on: 10 May, 2011, 06:21:12 pm »
>Do you need a GPS thingymibob?

You don't need one. But route sheets are of variable quality - some good, some bad. I'm happier knowing my GPS will tell me when I'm off route.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 10 May, 2011, 06:51:18 pm »
Do you need a GPS thingymibob?

Some of us did Audax rides before they were commonplace.
Some of us did Audax rides before 'everyone' had a mobile phone.

Neither is necessary but both can be helpful.

Both can fail though...

« Reply #16 on: 10 May, 2011, 07:19:27 pm »
It just seems to tip the balance between an affordable, enjoyable get-away-from-it-all hobby into yet another activity that now requires an expensive electronic gadget.

One of the main reasons I enjoy cycling is that all I need (apart from the bike, obviously) is some water and a bit of grub.  The idea of Audax appeals greatly, although I admit I'm a bit apprehensive as it involves being around people *shudders*  ;D  plus the rules and checkpoints and stuff.

« Reply #17 on: 10 May, 2011, 07:21:38 pm »
One of the main reasons I enjoy cycling is that all I need (apart from the bike, obviously) is some water and a bit of grub.  The idea of Audax appeals greatly, although I admit I'm a bit apprehensive as it involves being around people *shudders*  ;D  plus the rules and checkpoints and stuff.

One of the reasons I like Audax is that I can choose to be sociable, or just wibble along on my own for bunchteen hours. I've ridden hundreds of kilometers on rides just a few hundred yards behind someone.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 10 May, 2011, 07:28:22 pm »
Audax is as sociable as you make it or want it.
You can do it as a loner or make friends with a group.
The choice is yours.
Enjoy!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #19 on: 10 May, 2011, 07:35:25 pm »
I don't have GPS & it's not a problem.

It just seems to tip the balance between an affordable, enjoyable get-away-from-it-all hobby into yet another activity that now requires an expensive electronic gadget.

One of the main reasons I enjoy cycling is that all I need (apart from the bike, obviously) is some water and a bit of grub.  The idea of Audax appeals greatly, although I admit I'm a bit apprehensive as it involves being around people *shudders*  ;D  plus the rules and checkpoints and stuff.

I do have a mobile phone with me which would without doubt be usefull but I carry it because my work makes it necessary for me to be available to some folk 24/7.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #20 on: 10 May, 2011, 07:42:01 pm »
You can be entirely antisocial and still enjoy audax. On a longish ride the people quicker than you disappear within 1km of the start, then you overtake the ones slower than you (or never even see them) within the first km too. The only time things get mixed up is at controls.
From time to time you could talk to someone by cycling alongside if you like, but I normally tuck in behind and let them take the wind.
This comment is NOT sarcastic, though I can understand if you think it is!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #21 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:25:35 pm »
On my last audax I had company for a short while at the first control & for a few minutes after the start.
Other than that I rode 200km solo so if you wish to ride audaxes alone IME it can be done
Equally so you could ride in a group whose pace you are comfortable with.

Billy Weir

« Reply #22 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:20:01 pm »
A different question.

Does anyone know if it is easy to get a control in Yalding (Kent), particularly on Sundays?  Any suggestions (I'll probably be starting a ride from there at around 8am and probably finishing 8pm ish plus or minus an hour).

« Reply #23 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:42:49 pm »
So if you don't have a GPS thingy, what are the quality of directions like?

« Reply #24 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:44:06 pm »
So if you don't have a GPS thingy, what are the quality of directions like?

You really don't need a GPS.  If you can follow a map, you'll be fine.