Author Topic: Ditch the gym - get fit without it!  (Read 12023 times)

Re: Ditch the gym - get fit without it!
« Reply #75 on: 29 November, 2009, 04:40:44 pm »
It won't be so bad next time, nor the time after that.

As long as you do it regularly.

+1

Take a slight pain as a reward though!  ;D
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #76 on: 29 November, 2009, 04:48:21 pm »
I had to nip out to the shop and had to lurch down two flights of stairs because it hurts too much to bend my knees. Most of my pain is quad pain, with added belly and upper arm and upper back pain just for extra fun. Ouchy.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #77 on: 05 December, 2009, 11:38:33 am »
Today was easier, but I don't think it's because I'm fitter, I think it was just easier. Having said that, the Meadows are like a swamp and I have so much mud on my trackie bottoms it has soaked through and made my knickers muddy. They look like I've had a little accident.  :-[

Zoidburg

« Reply #78 on: 05 December, 2009, 03:42:26 pm »
Stick at it, right now they are treating you like it's day one week one, if you have some ronhill tracksters or bikesters to wear they will be much better in the mud and the wet than a pair of trackies, trackies soak up the water and rub like buggery, anything that gets baggy when wet is a pain to wear.

The other thing I would suggest is find yourself a circuit that gives you a mile and half run, maybe a few circuits of a park, aim for 15 minutes as a start point, thats a gentle jog or brisk walking pace and try and work your way down from there toward the ten minute mark, 15 isn't that hard and you will soon shave a few minutes off that time and feel really pleased with youself. Warm up properly and make sure you have proper footwear.

That will improve your CV fitness, which in turn makes the other side of it, the circuit training, get a lot easier.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #79 on: 13 December, 2009, 12:10:12 pm »
Lost 2lb this week.

« Reply #80 on: 13 December, 2009, 04:56:07 pm »
Lost 2lb this week.
That's a result :thumbsup:.

Before or after you washed the mud off? ;D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #81 on: 09 January, 2010, 12:13:33 pm »
I missed the last 2 Saturdays - last week I just didn't feel up to it, and the week before was Boxing Day and I wasn't here, but I went this morning. In 5" of snow. With more coming from the sky throughout the class. Even just walking in snow is hard work, so doing exercise in it was even harder. Ooof. Tired now.

I'd lost 4lb up to Christmas, put 1lb back on but that could have been worse! Not cycling isn't helping - my commute is only 3 miles each way (but the way back is uphill) but that plus doing my client visits by bike keeps my baseline fitness ticking over. I haven't been doing that since my off - first I was too sore, now it's too snowy - so really I need to go out and walk about in the snow more often.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #82 on: 30 January, 2010, 12:13:02 pm »
Another pound gone, and I only felt like throwing up for a few seconds this morning.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #83 on: 30 January, 2010, 01:09:06 pm »
Yay, Go Kirst! :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #84 on: 06 February, 2010, 12:07:38 pm »
Had to stop half way through the class today - my left Achilles tendon is red, tight and inflamed. I really wasn't disappointed to stop running while everyone else carried on, but instead I did sit-ups in the mud while the instructor held my feet and made me do them properly. Ouch. I'm going to spend the weekend with my foot elevated and iced while I take the good drugs and rest. My running ability is definitely improving - I'm now only really really dreadful instead of practically dead, and my trousers are feeling looser. They might just be stretching though.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #85 on: 07 February, 2010, 01:53:09 pm »
Gah, my Achilles is still bothering me today. Will self-refer to physio tomorrow and should really go and see about better trainers for running in. Will do that soon.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #86 on: 11 March, 2010, 08:27:58 am »
Haven't been back to the class as my Achilles is still a problem, but when I was walking through town yesterday I had to hold my trousers up because they were sliding off me. They don't have belt loops so I can't belt them up. So I need new trousers for work!

« Reply #87 on: 11 March, 2010, 12:38:48 pm »
Yay! :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

simonp

« Reply #88 on: 11 March, 2010, 03:47:11 pm »
Good work!  I'm in need of new belts / more holes.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #89 on: 07 April, 2010, 07:57:20 pm »
I still haven't been back because my Achilles still hasn't settled. I referred myself to physio at the health centre nearest my office - at the time of referral they said their waiting time was 6 weeks.  I hadn't heard anything so checked online a couple of weeks ago and their waiting time had gone up to 16 weeks. So I referred myself to Tollcross, which is nearer home, and on Friday got a letter asking me to contact them to arrange a triage appointment. I decided not to ring them yesterday until I knew whether or not I'd be doing jury service, so as that was cancelled I rang them today and they had a cancellation for this morning, so I went along.

My left Achilles has tendinopathy (which I knew) and it's full of scar tissue, thickened and short. I have exercises and stretches to do, and I've to go back every week for friction massage which BLOODY HURTS. She says it could take 6 months to properly heal but I should be able to get back to BMF class within 6 weeks, with any luck. I've been treated by that physio before, I saw her 2 years ago when I was having weird intercostal pain, and we got on well and she really helped, so I'm hopeful.

« Reply #90 on: 07 April, 2010, 08:40:19 pm »
I hope you manage to get it sorted Kirst, it sounds painful. Glad you have a good physio.

I did BMF for the first time in six months today. I hurt my hip at the end of last summer (squatting under the sink to turn off the stopcock, would you believe) and stopped for a while to let it heal, and never got back into the habit. But my clothes fit better when I do BMF (I'm too fond of pudding), so back I've gone...going to hurt tomorrow, and worse the next day...!