Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 178475 times)

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #650 on: 28 December, 2017, 11:16:24 pm »
Another short day after a fall on the ice Steve really needs to take stock as the miles per day required have risen over 220. Time to look for climates warmer and gradients flatter?

According to Strava (which is very close to official UMCA-data) Steve needs an average of 221.9 miles/ day in the remaining 65 days to beat Kurt Searvogel. I am afraid that this is too much under the circumstances given.

Surpassing Tommy Godwin's mileage requires 206.5 miles/ day, which is a tough task but might still be in reach. 

whosatthewheel

« Reply #651 on: 29 December, 2017, 08:03:23 am »
It's slipping away.

Average speed yesterday was a mere 21 km/h... compare that with the 30+ they did in Florida and it is slipping away...

I hope in the future he focusses on shorter attempts in the good season, although in fairness there isn't much to go for that doesn't require a big budget (Beaumont stuff for instance)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #652 on: 29 December, 2017, 08:59:42 am »
Another short day after a fall on the ice Steve really needs to take stock as the miles per day required have risen over 220. Time to look for climates warmer and gradients flatter?

According to Strava (which is very close to official UMCA-data) Steve needs an average of 221.9 miles/ day in the remaining 65 days to beat Kurt Searvogel. I am afraid that this is too much under the circumstances given.

Surpassing Tommy Godwin's mileage requires 206.5 miles/ day, which is a tough task but might still be in reach.
Yes of course its in reach - after all, he averaged 206 for over 9 months. It would be insane to stop with barely 2 months left and his original target still in reach.

As for heading for Florida ... well I won't bet my house against that, after 10months of his preferred approach ... but I might bet my bikes!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #653 on: 29 December, 2017, 09:21:02 am »
Looking at totals, Steve is at an interesting point right now:
Some stats ...

Steve's stats as at 24 Dec 17                                    
Days: 296, 81.1% of year, 69 days remaining                                    
Dist: 98,108 km / 60,961 mi                                    
Avg daily dist: 331.4 km / 206.0 mi (Last 7 days: 311.7 km / 193.7 mi per day)                                    

Required rates for various records                                    
8.7 miles/day required for René Menzies (1937) 61,561 miles                                    
24.6 miles/day required for Ossie Nicholson (1937) 62,657 miles                                    
38.4 miles/day required for Steve Abraham (2015) 63,609 miles                                    
60.4 miles/day required for Bernard Bennett (1939) 65,127 miles                                    
204.4 miles/day required for Tommy Godwin (1939) 75,065 miles                                    
219.0 miles/day required for Kurt Searvogel (2015) 76,076 miles                                    
371.2 miles/day required for Amanda Coker (2016) 86,573 miles
He's done about 1200km since that post, so total around
99,300km 61,700miles.

So he has several totals in sight to keep motivated over New Year.

He has his own PB to shoot for just 2,000miles away - after that, no matter how badly he is going, he'll have the satisfaction of adding miles to that PB.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #654 on: 29 December, 2017, 10:10:19 am »
after that, no matter how badly he is going, he'll have the satisfaction of adding miles to that PB.

I would like to hope this is his last and final shot at this silly record, hence he needs to beat Godwin at the very least, for it to be a successful year on the bike. It's already the third best outcome and probably the bare minimum he set out to achieve back in March... anything less would probably spark yet another attempt...  :o

« Reply #655 on: 29 December, 2017, 11:12:30 am »
How many miles has Steve ridden since the start of his first attempt? That was at the start of 2015, so he's been at this for three years now. That's the length of a university course, it would be nice to acknowledge that with some sort of award.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #656 on: 29 December, 2017, 11:17:41 am »
How many miles has Steve ridden since the start of his first attempt? That was at the start of 2015, so he's been at this for three years now. That's the length of a university course, it would be nice to acknowledge that with some sort of award.

When I worked at Brunel Uni we gave an Honour Degree to Jeremy Clarkson, so anything is possible.

On the subject, it would have been clever of TG to team up with some academic involved in sport or sport medicine... there might have been funding available too... he even lives in reasonable proximity to Loughborough, which is probably the epicentre of all things sport at Uni level. Missed opportunity there, me thinks

« Reply #657 on: 29 December, 2017, 03:20:35 pm »

Maybe we could all bombard the BBC for some kind of award / recognition at the Sports Personality of the year?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #658 on: 29 December, 2017, 04:05:05 pm »

Maybe we could all bombard the BBC for some kind of award / recognition at the Sports Personality of the year?

I don't think people would understand this type of record (or attempts to a record)... I have to admit half of the time I do struggle to understand the point myself.

I am baffled that arguably "less pointless" and probably more achievable records seem to have zero uptake... aside from Guy Martin's half hearted attempt, anyone had a go at the "Around the coast of Great Britain" record?

« Reply #659 on: 29 December, 2017, 06:28:30 pm »
Anyway, Merry Xmas Steve. I hope you're proud of this attempt however it works out

Indeed! I just read of an attempt by an adventurer to cross the Antarctic and had to give up, but he tried, which is the greatest accomplishment.

« Reply #660 on: 29 December, 2017, 06:29:52 pm »
Steve’s beaten Kurt already by a huge distance, simply by not being a total knob.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #661 on: 29 December, 2017, 06:32:26 pm »
Kurt and Alicia visit this site from time to time so I'd like them to know that the vast majority of posters have nothing but admiration for both their efforts.

Were you hoping for a Christmas card?

Martin

« Reply #662 on: 29 December, 2017, 10:23:21 pm »
Steve’s beaten Kurt already by a huge distance, simply by not being a total knob.

:thumbsup:

no not :thumbsup:

the person who posted this has apologised; go and find another thread to troll please

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #663 on: 29 December, 2017, 10:34:15 pm »
Calling anyone 'a knob' is non-excellent.

Condoning this, too, is non-excellent.

Please respect the forum ethos of excellence to all.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #664 on: 30 December, 2017, 08:44:03 am »

Aye, but what they want is the sporting media POTY. How many times has Steve been favoured with a spot on national TV?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

whosatthewheel

« Reply #665 on: 30 December, 2017, 11:16:44 am »

Aye, but what they want is the sporting media POTY. How many times has Steve been favoured with a spot on national TV?

There is the "unsung hero" award, but typically goes to folks who do something meaningful for their local community... I can't see this attempt falling into that description by any stretch of imagination

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #666 on: 30 December, 2017, 05:38:42 pm »
Steve is down on his miles and the hardest six weeks are ahead of him. It does not look good.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #667 on: 30 December, 2017, 06:40:54 pm »
Steve is down on his miles and the hardest six weeks are ahead of him. It does not look good.

BB
Bad enough that you think he should stop?

He's recovering from 2 recent injuries, and lost mileage dealing with those, and with technical glitches. I agree he's up against it, but if those injuries are mending (who can know from here??), and he avoids more incidents, his mileage can go up.

By how much, christ knows!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #668 on: 30 December, 2017, 08:57:12 pm »
I don't think anyone's asking him to stop yet. I think it'd be foolish at this point to do so unless the injuries are worse than we know, or he suffers another big setback.

It is possible the weather will improve a lot in January and February. It's far warmer today than even a couple of days ago, although the price seems to be strong winds, which kill progress as much as last week's ice.

Anyway, fingers crossed he has better luck. He has the big morale boost of reaching his previous record coming up in a week or so.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #669 on: 31 December, 2017, 02:44:01 pm »

BB
Bad enough that you think he should stop?

He's recovering from 2 recent injuries, and lost mileage dealing with those, and with technical glitches. I agree he's up against it, but if those injuries are mending (who can know from here??), and he avoids more incidents, his mileage can go up.

By how much, christ knows!

When you point out a simple fact you get attacked as been negative. Anyone who cycles in the UK knows that Christmas to the middle of February is pot luck for road cycling. Expecting to average 200 miles a day is possible but unlikely to happen.

Has logic left the room?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #670 on: 31 December, 2017, 06:51:03 pm »
Steve is a little behind reading your questions, but tweeted the answer(s) this morning:

@steve_abraham74
 9h9 hours ago

Over 65,000 miles this year. More than my first #HAMR attempt in spite of starting 2 months later.
Not getting a broken ankle seems to help.

@steve_abraham74
 9h9 hours ago

According to @Strava I have ridden 156,415 miles since I began #HAMR on 1st Jan 2015 with 1st (2) attempt(s) training and my 2017/18 attempt.
An average of 52,138 a year, not including today's ride.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #671 on: 01 January, 2018, 02:01:45 pm »
That's a fairly tidy 1,000 miles a week, and a bit. An amazing achievement over three years. I doubt that will ever be repeated.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #672 on: 01 January, 2018, 04:01:32 pm »
Is it just me thinking that with a bit more budget, he could get himself a recumbent tricycle and that would be great for both icy and windy days?
Obviously a Velomobiel Quest would be my choice... like this one spotted at last year National 400 

« Reply #673 on: 01 January, 2018, 04:08:53 pm »
In this year's 1200K Last Chance in Colorado, a velo finished a day and a half before any standard bike or recumbent and they routinely carry records in 24 Hour races, so, if Steve transferred to one of these - maybe someone reading this who has one could lend it to him - it would make his final task much easier and possible more comfortable. By the way, most velo's are trikes.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #674 on: 01 January, 2018, 04:21:05 pm »
bikes/trikes with fairings are against the rules afaik