Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 443402 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #1875 on: 10 May, 2020, 12:28:17 pm »
How does a neophyte learn to use a water stone properly? Any good resources on you tube? (There are loads but what's good?)

Assuming you mean japanese water stone for knife sharpening? Try the Ray Mears videos.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1876 on: 10 May, 2020, 02:11:41 pm »
I attended a knife sharpening class here in January, and thought it was pretty good.

I've just watched this video and I'd say that it's a bit more comprehensive than my class was. I'd recommend it, he explains the technique well. The bit where he uses pennies to achieve the correct angle is especially useful.

The kit I use is this plus a leather strop which I bought from here. I've unstitched the strop and mounted the suede and chrome leathers to opposite sides of a piece of 4" x 2"

ETA: My knife sufficiently sharp to halve a cherry tomato without me applying any pressure to the blade.
I give it 2 or 3 passes on the strop pretty much every time I use it. It'll be 3 to 4 weeks before I need to get the stones out again.

« Reply #1877 on: 11 May, 2020, 09:19:08 am »
Be aware though that you can make things too sharp. A very sharp edge is liable to get damaged quite easily.
Very sharp is good for kitchen knives but not so good for a knife you use for opening parcels or camping. There is such a thing as sufficiently sharp.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1878 on: 11 May, 2020, 09:37:26 am »
Be aware though that you can make things too sharp. A very sharp edge is liable to get damaged quite easily.
Very sharp is good for kitchen knives but not so good for a knife you use for opening parcels or camping. There is such a thing as sufficiently sharp.

It depends a lot on the quality of the steel.

But it's a good idea to keep tools that cut paper/cardboard separate to others.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1879 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:26:26 pm »
And if you use nurse's scissors for stripping wire, you'll have some poorly stripped wire and a very angry nurse.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1880 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:39:49 pm »
Ah the satisfying click of everything slotting correctly into place as you squeeze the handles of a good quality RJ45 crimp tool.  Less satisfying is the realisation that the snagless boot is still in the component drawer behind you.  Distinctly irritating is experiencing the latter twice in one day.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

fuzzy

« Reply #1881 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:46:36 pm »
talking of crimping tools, I've just inherited a toolbox with two of these in it.
I wondered what they were fror until I gewgalled the part number.
£70+ each :o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1882 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:52:30 pm »
talking of crimping tools, I've just inherited a toolbox with two of these in it.
I wondered what they were fror until I gewgalled the part number.
£70+ each :o

That's relatively cheap by the standards of crimping tools.  More fiddly connectors tend to have tools that are either crap or $BloodyHellHowMuch?

« Reply #1883 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:59:20 pm »
Me, to him, "Where's the bread?"
Him, "I don't know, where is it?"
We are both Puzzled.
"Try the fridge," I say.
There's the bread.

We don't know who put it in there. Thankfully it didn't go too hard, it was Nice Bread.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1884 on: 21 May, 2020, 03:29:39 pm »
I have just knocked myself on the head. Using mitre saw to trim the corners off a small block I want to turn: no way to clamp it so hold it by hand; blade pulls down more strongly than I can hold, block cants into the blade; next thing is a fearful crack echoing through my head then pain and blood.  Now have a lump & a plaster on noggin. All fingers still present. Kinda shaky, nice cup of tea.

Found block hiding behind saw, all chewed up. Arse. Bandsaw next time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1885 on: 21 May, 2020, 03:56:36 pm »
Ah the satisfying click of everything slotting correctly into place as you squeeze the handles of a good quality RJ45 crimp tool.  Less satisfying is the realisation that the snagless boot is still in the component drawer behind you.  Distinctly irritating is experiencing the latter twice in one day.
When I was an apprentice telephone man the gang I was with got called to help another gang who were ‘pulling in’1 a big expensive  coaxial trunk cable. It was practice with BECTCs to pull half of it in one way, take the rest of the drum and pull that in the other way because BECTCs are HEAVY and not only does half have less than half the friction, there’s also less chance of it stretching, something to be avoided with paper insulated BECTC because it can affect their transmission characteristics. So the gang doing the job had laid out the second half in the approved flaked pattern and the gang leader had gone with the truck and winch to the pulling out end. Here things become less clear because the gang junior says he asked their apprentice to pass him the end, and the apprentice swears blind he was only watching. Regardless, the gang junior duly fastened the pulling tackle to the end of the cable and fed it into duct. With less than a few yards to go, ie well into the last loop, it was discovered that the lamp post near to the carriageway box was looped by the cable. Much cursing ensued, caps were wrung and feet shuffled. The Inspector was called and a Simon platform called for. That’s when they realised just how much trouble they were in as there wasn’t enough cable loose to go over the street lamp.

1. It used to be that telephone cables were pulled into ducts by draw ropes that were usually left in situ. The underground gangs had some of the dimmer end of the spectrum of employees, and they tended to think us apprentices were a bit ‘posh’. We only spent the first six months with the external teams to gain an appreciation of the network, but it was quite an eye opener for us mostly ‘grammar school boys‘ in more ways than one  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1886 on: 21 May, 2020, 03:59:02 pm »
I have just knocked myself on the head. Using mitre saw to trim the corners off a small block I want to turn: no way to clamp it so hold it by hand; blade pulls down more strongly than I can hold, block cants into the blade; next thing is a fearful crack echoing through my head then pain and blood.  Now have a lump & a plaster on noggin. All fingers still present. Kinda shaky, nice cup of tea.

You know, this is the sort of story that just demands pictures of the injury as proof :p

J
--

« Reply #1887 on: 21 May, 2020, 04:17:55 pm »

You know, this is the sort of story that just demands pictures of the injury as proof :p

J

We do have an injuries thread, https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19419.0    but it's cycling only.     Perhaps we should start another. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1888 on: 21 May, 2020, 04:31:36 pm »

I was going all clammy and sweaty well before I read to the end.  Phew, I was expecting the worst........  I need a cup of tea and a biscuit now....

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1889 on: 21 May, 2020, 04:34:35 pm »

We do have an injuries thread, https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19419.0    but it's cycling only.     Perhaps we should start another.

We'd have to set a threshold for injury, else I'd just be flooding it with wounds... I seem to have far to higher frequency of wounds...

J
--

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1890 on: 21 May, 2020, 04:47:40 pm »

J

Nothing much to see: bald head, small (but perfectly formed) lump, plaster on same with spot of blood in middle.  Head still hurts but I can't photograph that.

« Reply #1891 on: 21 May, 2020, 04:49:11 pm »

We'd have to set a threshold for injury, else I'd just be flooding it with wounds... I seem to have far to higher frequency of wounds...

J

That job as a knife throwers assistant not working out then ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1892 on: 21 May, 2020, 05:06:26 pm »

That job as a knife throwers assistant not working out then ?

I have first hand experience of how not to use a number of tools. Specifically my left hand...

J
--

« Reply #1893 on: 21 May, 2020, 05:36:58 pm »

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1894 on: 21 May, 2020, 07:27:30 pm »

J

That would mean I could offer up my most recent tree-related wound
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1895 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:23:49 pm »

That would mean I could offer up my most recent tree-related wound

I have a scar on my left arm. The wound in question happened when I was walking through the woods, and came to a sudden arboreal halt...

J
--

« Reply #1896 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:42:08 pm »
I'll start with the caveat that I'm rather tired both physically and apparently mentally having worked through the whole of lock down. Supported my wife who has been doing a great job home schooling and alternating running and allotment trips before work

The eldest monkeys front v brake broke. It was the bit the curved nodule locates in. No worries thinks me as got some sspare brakes in shed. Find one with no pads and the aforementioned bit which I thinks called the cable bridge pointing opposite direction. Bugger thinks me thats going to need me to re route the cables. Didn't even realise there are options. There aren't. It then dawned on me the cable bridge was actually just flipped over so would be pointing outwards if fitted. Put the brakes on and while struggling to get rhe cable through the clamp hole realised it would be a lot easier if the cable guide wasn't already in the cable bridge.

Sacked off tomorrow's early run for an extra hour in bed

« Reply #1897 on: 22 May, 2020, 09:22:38 am »
Mrs Ham come up all excited - "just seen on Facebook, they're selling the sandals you use cheap - here's the website" Sure enough , €20 instead of €120. Excitement excitement. And they have my size in stock, most sizes apparently. And a pair of hiking shoes for Mrs Ham. That's exciting. Payment.......No PayPal? Ah well, Card......payment fail

Feckity Feckity feck feck

Anyone watching carefully will have noticed a few red flags. 

Oh well. Card stopped within minutes.

The scam website is eccoeustore.com

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1898 on: 22 May, 2020, 09:56:18 am »
I nearly fell for a similar scam a couple of years back - eBike for 250€.

ian

« Reply #1899 on: 22 May, 2020, 10:08:27 am »
Mrs Ham come up all excited - "just seen on Facebook, they're selling the sandals you use cheap - here's the website" Sure enough , €20 instead of €120. Excitement excitement. And they have my size in stock, most sizes apparently. And a pair of hiking shoes for Mrs Ham. That's exciting. Payment.......No PayPal? Ah well, Card......payment fail

Feckity Feckity feck feck

Anyone watching carefully will have noticed a few red flags. 

Oh well. Card stopped within minutes.

The scam website is eccoeustore.com

Didn't someone else fall for exactly the same site and document it here? Maybe I imagined it.

The true mistake is sandals, of course, I hate feet. And toes, oh god, toes. I can't look at bare feet without feeling icky. I fear summer and the season of the feet. Winter is fine, those feet and their ten malformed terrors are securely ensconced in boots and sensible footwear. Then the sun comes out and the horror is unleashed.