Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 443300 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3750 on: 31 May, 2023, 08:25:52 am »
When getting home from long rides now, instead of chucking my sportswear on the floor, I put it in the washing machine and start it, before having a shower.

Crikey, we save it up until we have a load, normally 3 rides for me and several walk/run outings for MrsT.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3751 on: 31 May, 2023, 08:30:42 am »

Contact lens wearers are told to remove contact lenses before showering.

Not sure where you got that pearl of wisdom from. In 35 years of wearing them I've never removed them for showering, nor been told to.  You can even swim in them, but that may mean a custom fit pair that grip to the eyeball better/cover a larger area and so are less apt to float off.

But yes, divvery putting soapy fingers onto lenses.

It is current advice, and likewise, the previous decades of showering with them in didn't give me the problems in the eye that they warn about now. Apparently, there are waterborne gremlins that can live / fester / breed behind them. I only wear daily lenses so perhaps it is different for hard lens wearers, but I can't see (??) how.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3752 on: 31 May, 2023, 08:37:13 am »

Not sure where you got that pearl of wisdom from. In 35 years of wearing them I've never removed them for showering, nor been told to.  You can even swim in them, but that may mean a custom fit pair that grip to the eyeball better/cover a larger area and so are less apt to float off.

It is current advice, and likewise, the previous decades of showering with them in didn't give me the problems in the eye that they warn about now. Apparently, there are waterborne gremlins that can live / fester / breed behind them. I only wear daily lenses so perhaps it is different for hard lens wearers, but I can't see (??) how.

Yep… absolutely!  It was what I was told - not just by my optometrist but by an ophthalmologist colleague.  No lenses when showering and only when swimming/diving if wearing tight fit goggles/mask or a diving helmet.

https://www.visiondirect.co.uk/wearing-lenses/can-i-shower-while-wearing-contact-lenses
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3753 on: 31 May, 2023, 10:56:03 am »
Anyone spot the error on this one ?

BTDTGTTS many times over...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3754 on: 31 May, 2023, 06:49:07 pm »

To be fair I only ever wore either daily disposables, or monthly (soft) lenses that I disinfected every day. There are those who wear lenses for days or weeks on end, and then you can get infections and ulceration. If you manage to wear gas permeable hard lenses for 8 hours a day you’re doing well - my first ones were because affordable soft torics didn’t exist then.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3755 on: 31 May, 2023, 07:09:47 pm »
Anyone spot the error on this one ?

BTDTGTTS many times over...

This is one I have yet to commit. It is only a matter of time before I too buy bolts of the wrong nominal diameter.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #3756 on: 01 June, 2023, 07:44:35 am »
I too over/under estimate how long a bolt needs to be. However, I did get around to buying a big compartmented storage box, so rather than random bags of a few bolts stashed all over the place they are now together and sorted by diameter and length. That's been a massive time saver as I can see at a glance what I'm running short of, and usually have something pretty close to, if not exactly right, for the job at hand.

« Reply #3757 on: 01 June, 2023, 02:17:55 pm »

To be fair I only ever wore either daily disposables, or monthly (soft) lenses that I disinfected every day. There are those who wear lenses for days or weeks on end, and then you can get infections and ulceration. If you manage to wear gas permeable hard lenses for 8 hours a day you’re doing well - my first ones were because affordable soft torics didn’t exist then.
I've been wearing gas permeables and before that old skool hard lenses from 1st thing in the morning till last thing at night for over 35 years...
They do tell you not to shower in them. My usual process is to have my morning shower before I put my lenses in, but if I shower at another time of day I don't take them out.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3758 on: 01 June, 2023, 02:31:11 pm »
As Fimm but for 45 years! I don't remember being told about showering, and wasn't given any warning at my recent new lens fitting a month or so ago. Maybe the optician assumed I knew that? I would also tend to shower first in the morning, but definitely haven't removed them if showering later. I also wear for swimming in some situations (and used to wear when sailing so often in a wet environment)

ian

« Reply #3759 on: 01 June, 2023, 07:18:49 pm »
I don't often wear them in the shower because I've just got up, but I do specifically wear lenses for the pool since I can't be arsed with the faff of prescription goggles. I figure there's a small chance of amoeboid brain liquefaction but I wear goggles and not much water gets in, plus as a council pool, it's 95% bleach to sterilize the kiddies. Any amoeba that could survive that would probably be off stomping a town centre somewhere.

« Reply #3760 on: 02 June, 2023, 08:23:24 am »
I used to wear mine all the time, swimming (without goggles), showering and sleeping on audax. I wore them for 104 hours of LEL and 84 hours of PBP...

I now nearly never wear them. I'd started getting the things they warn you about. Prescription goggles were £20 from Amazon- I don't need to cure the astigmatisms, just see the clock from in the water.

:shrug: we're all going to die of something. Losing your eyesight from showering in contacts= very low risk.

« Reply #3761 on: 02 June, 2023, 06:14:37 pm »
Ahhh but have you ever managed to get a tiny spot of concentrated washing liquid (which you had no idea was on your finger) in your eye?

Since my wake up divverism, I will always shower between doing domesticated tasks and taking out my lenses!

ian

« Reply #3762 on: 02 June, 2023, 09:55:59 pm »
I wear them less now because multifocal lenses at the mega diopters I need aren't very good compared to multifocal spectacles. I do need lenses in the pool so I can harshly judge people's tattoos.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3763 on: 04 June, 2023, 09:32:03 pm »
Did some jibbling of the roofrack and Pino today, on account of the new Pino being a different size to the old one. This included releasing the front seat QR, flipping it forward, scratching head and flipping it back.

Jibbling complete we set off for a pootle. My, I think, this steering is heavy. Pause to add a bar to the front tyre. Not much improvement.  Off we go.  There's a New! Slightly Worrying! squeak from the front seat, or is from the handlebars? (Pino handlebars run close to and beneath the front seat). I put it down to have loosened and then retightened the webbing straps that are part of the front seat.  It goes away. We do more miles, steering as heavy as ever.

Then lightbulb moment. Had I refastened the front seat QR? We stop. No. No I had not. What is more, the part that should be held by the QR skewer was just resting on the frame, with a nice wear mark where the steering was rubbing on it. Reattached it properly and tightened the QR. Steering back as how it should be. We celebrate by hitting 64km/h down the hill into town and buy ice creams.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3764 on: 06 June, 2023, 06:14:35 pm »
Note to self: if you have a Windows .bat file to:
  • rebuild those game mods, and
  • copy them into the appropriate folder for the game to find
then it is wise to ensure you specify the name of the source directory correctly.  Otherwise you will belatedly discover that you've been using an outdated version for the past couple of months :facepalm:

Fortunately they ent mods for public consumption.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3765 on: 06 June, 2023, 09:24:03 pm »
.bat files? How quaint.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #3766 on: 06 June, 2023, 09:50:09 pm »
I have always pictured Señor Larrer's computer ensemble to be some kind of steaming jam-lubricated babbage engine of Brobdingnagian proportion that must be regularly encouraged in its functions with the vehement application of a large hammer.

« Reply #3767 on: 06 June, 2023, 11:36:50 pm »
I now have in mind something akin to Hex, the Discworld's first computer. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3768 on: 07 June, 2023, 12:12:55 am »
.bat files? How quaint.  ;D

All it needs to do is:
  • delete existing zip format archive, and
  • create a new one, and
  • copy the new one into the “live” environment
and given the lack of complexity of the mods in question – i.e. no huge graphics files – double-click it and it's finished before you can blink.  Much easier than faffing around in File Mangler or Windholes Exploder or whatever it’s called this week.

I have always pictured Señor Larrer's computer ensemble to be some kind of steaming jam-lubricated babbage engine of Brobdingnagian proportion that must be regularly encouraged in its functions with the vehement application of a large hammer.

I now have in mind something akin to Hex, the Discworld's first computer. ;D

That box is a chunky i7-propelled sub-desk wossname with 32GB of RAM, Nvidia 2070 picture card, two 4k minotaurs and four (4) SSDs, because I could.  Wired network.  And a twenty-five y/o IBM Model M keyboard.  Hasn’t needed percussive maintenance yet but then I've only had it just over a year…  There are various other Things around the place too, ranging from a tolerably sprightly Quiet PC to a 14 y/o Asus Eee PC which conked out trying to do a Windows update last year and needs to be replaced with the less ancient Asus that’s currently idling under the coffee table in a state of not-plugged-in-ness, that I might channel tunes to the amp and squeakers in the Grand Bedchamber.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3769 on: 10 June, 2023, 12:56:55 pm »
Note to self: after kicking off* the weekly backup of Bruiser McHuge the thick end of two hours ago it is probably better if, on returning to said Babbage-Engine post Brown Drink, you press the button to switch on the amplifier rather than the power switch on the PC :facepalm:  Fortunately able to poke "Cancel" before it started killing Stuff utterly to DETH.

* Because Macrium Reflect won't play nicely with a WD MyCloud drive I have to delete the oldest backup set manually before kicking off the next one, otherwise it runs for a couple of hours, deletes the old one and crashes chiz.

« Reply #3770 on: 12 June, 2023, 06:18:07 pm »
GN:  I went to the Liverpool University Sports Centre and collected my Shiny New £388 annual membership card.

MGN: I can remember how to swim !   25M pool, 10 lengths of freestyle & 10 lengths of breast stroke had me tired out,  it's been 6-7 years since I last swam.

BN:  On exiting the shower & changing area I cannot find my Shiny New membership card despite checking the locker & cubical I'd used.    The girl on the desk laughed & giggled when I reported this, but promised to email me if it is handed in.   If not I'll have to arrange a replacement  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3771 on: 13 June, 2023, 05:51:49 pm »
Who left the lid of the freezer open last night, then?

Fortunately, the biggest issue seems to be that we will need to defrost it rather sooner than otherwise. Everything was pretty well solid when we checked this morning.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3772 on: 13 June, 2023, 07:45:24 pm »
Who left the lid of the freezer open last night, then?

Fortunately, the biggest issue seems to be that we will need to defrost it rather sooner than otherwise. Everything was pretty well solid when we checked this morning.
You would have had a worse result on a freezer with a door. Convection, or the lack of it in an open-topped freezer, was your friend.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3773 on: 14 June, 2023, 06:45:30 pm »
“Bumskins!” shouted Mr Larrington, as he discovered that while he bought sossidges on Monday he neglected to purchase bready product to accompany them.  Thereby necessitating an unscheduled trip to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.  Bah!

« Reply #3774 on: 14 June, 2023, 07:15:15 pm »
Not sure this goes in this thread or the Good News Bad News one.
MrsC and I have taken to drinking 0% Tanqueray gin and tonic on our non-drinking nights.
Enjoying a glass on the lawn last night, MrsC asked how much of the 0% stuff we had left. I'll check when I get the next one, says I.
So, I pour out two more gins, then check in the cupboard for any more bottles. Good, there is a full one here. Except that the label doesn't look quite the same as the one I have been using.
You can work the rest out.

We did have a 0% one later. The difference was noticeable, but not in a bad way, just different. I think I'd be hard pressed to work out which one had the alcohol and which one didn't.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."