Author Topic: My first ride on a MTB.  (Read 10627 times)

annie

My first ride on a MTB.
« on: 04 January, 2009, 04:40:43 pm »
Wednesday will see me out on a MTB in Thetford Forest :-\  This will be before I order my new bike, for my birthday.  I am sooooo excited.

Re: Planning my first ride on a MTB.
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2009, 04:46:18 pm »
Aw, fantastic! What bike are you getting?

The bombholes at Thetford are great to play in, and it's got some pretty neat singletrack.  I love mtbing in the winter when the ground is frozen as well, it's way more fun the the late autumn mud-baths. 

annie

« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2009, 05:00:04 pm »
Flippin' eck, that's bling bling!  :D

*jealous as it's years since I hit the singletrack*

« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2009, 05:01:19 pm »
fantastic - me and little brother did it a couple of weeks back.  I'm an absolute wuss but the red route and black route were great fun.  Are you going with anyone to keep it competitive? :)

annie

« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2009, 05:03:57 pm »
It has red on it, surely that's all that matters ;)

I am going with someone, yes.  I hope to do more 'off road' during the year and aim to enter something later on.

Obviously I have to go on the red run.  Is the black one harder?

« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2009, 05:07:30 pm »
a bit harder, but not a lot.  The bombholes are all on the black one and the bit called 'the beast' is fantastic.

We took a couple of hours to do both (we cut the red one slightly short) so it's not too bad, but if you want to take it slowly, just do the black one, the bombholes are great fun. 

annie

« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2009, 05:09:38 pm »
a bit harder, but not a lot.  The bombholes are all on the black one and the bit called 'the beast' is fantastic.

We took a couple of hours to do both (we cut the red one slightly short) so it's not too bad, but if you want to take it slowly, just do the black one, the bombholes are great fun. 

What is a bombhole?  How steep are they exactly?

bikenerd

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2009, 05:21:15 pm »
Thetford is the perfect introduction to MTBing.  It was the first trail centre I've been to, after MTBing off and on for 15 years.  I was amazed at how smooth the ground was.  I'm used to rutted bridleways, horse hoof covered footpaths and rooty and rocky forest paths! :)
The switchback singletrack is great fun.  The Beast is also good if not particularly beastly! :)

Once you've mastered Thetford, Swinley has some more challenging routes.

That bike is a bit of a full on racing rig, btw.  For recreational MTBing, most people are better off with a trail style bike with a slacker head angle (68 to 70 degrees, rather than 71 degrees as in that Cube) and a longer travel fork, 100mm at a minimum.

« Reply #9 on: 04 January, 2009, 05:22:27 pm »
I havn't riden at Thetford since the spring, but the red route is now better than the black.

The black is worth doing, just to do the 'Beast of the East' section.

I took video several years ago of this section <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pnp-TjOk1v4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/pnp-TjOk1v4&rel=1</a> (sorry about the poor quality)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

annie

« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2009, 05:39:14 pm »
That you tube shot made me feel a bit queasy :sick:  Looks like a lot of fun though.

bikenerd, I have taken a lot of good advice in specing the MTB, the people helping me know me very well and know my plans. 

I hope to enter the Dusk til Dawn this year and think it will be just perfect but will see how it goes on Wednesday first.

Thank you for all the good advice.

bikenerd

« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2009, 05:54:24 pm »
bikenerd, I have taken a lot of good advice in specing the MTB, the people helping me know me very well and know my plans. 

I hope to enter the Dusk til Dawn this year and think it will be just perfect but will see how it goes on Wednesday first.

Well, if you're going to race then you'll need a race bike!  :thumbsup:

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2009, 06:03:56 pm »
What is a bombhole?  How steep are they exactly?
Annie, I stopped mountain biking about ten years ago, after I saw someone wearing a T shirt with the slogan "If It's Too Steep, You're Too Old".  I just know it meant me.  :-[

You'll be fine. Have fun.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #13 on: 04 January, 2009, 06:08:25 pm »
Wow, that looks like a serious rig! I'm envious. 

The bombholes at Thetford are actually holes made by bombs - IIRC it's between three fairly major air force bases and as a result had the living daylights bombed out of it in the war.  I think it might also have been a shell testing range at some point.  Anyway, there are a load of holes and although they vary in size it's the same technique for all of them - fast in, pump the bike at the bottom and just it carry you out again. 

If you wuss out and hit the brakes you get stuck there for at least five minutes until your mates have recovered from their giggles enough to pull you out again.   :-[

ed_o_brain

« Reply #14 on: 04 January, 2009, 06:23:09 pm »
Annie,

You don't do things by halves!!!

:D :D :D

annie

« Reply #15 on: 04 January, 2009, 06:32:27 pm »
Wow, that looks like a serious rig! I'm envious. 

The bombholes at Thetford are actually holes made by bombs - IIRC it's between three fairly major air force bases and as a result had the living daylights bombed out of it in the war.  I think it might also have been a shell testing range at some point.  Anyway, there are a load of holes and although they vary in size it's the same technique for all of them - fast in, pump the bike at the bottom and just it carry you out again. 

If you wuss out and hit the brakes you get stuck there for at least five minutes until your mates have recovered from their giggles enough to pull you out again.   :-[

I'll just give it my best.... says one who used to be terrified of any descent, even a little slope.  Things have changed in the last 18 months though, reaching 40 n all.

ed - thank you :-*

« Reply #16 on: 04 January, 2009, 06:35:27 pm »
Incredibly envious of that bike...  :)

Once you start mountain biking, you'll never want to stop - I may like riding on the road, but it's mountain biking I really love!

Jezza

« Reply #17 on: 04 January, 2009, 06:37:59 pm »
I did that 'Beast of the East' on my Dawes Durango... not the most practical of machines to go MTBing on. Great fun though.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #18 on: 04 January, 2009, 06:44:58 pm »
Mmmmm

Nice Bike!
 :thumbsup:

alan

« Reply #19 on: 04 January, 2009, 07:51:19 pm »

I took video -

I have a Cannondale hardtail mtb called Beast of the East.
Still giving fun & satisfaction since 1992

« Reply #20 on: 04 January, 2009, 08:02:23 pm »
I did that 'Beast of the East' on my Dawes Durango... not the most practical of machines to go MTBing on. Great fun though.

I once did the 'Beast of the East' on my recumbent (apart from the 'staircase' bit)  :o

::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

annie

« Reply #21 on: 07 January, 2009, 04:59:55 pm »
I am home, I survived and I have the biggest ever smile on my face.

That was without a doubt the most fun I have had in a long time.  I am bouncy and happy and well, just a very happy pixie.

« Reply #22 on: 07 January, 2009, 05:06:05 pm »

That was without a doubt the most fun I have had in a long time.  I am bouncy and happy and well, just a very happy pixie.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: What a girl!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

annie

« Reply #23 on: 07 January, 2009, 05:14:40 pm »

It's great.  I only have one smallish bruise and one bump.  I wanted to do it all over again.  Riding in the forest in the snow in the middle of winter is so exhilarating.

Si

« Reply #24 on: 07 January, 2009, 05:45:16 pm »

It's great.  I only have one smallish bruise and one bump.  I wanted to do it all over again.  Riding in the forest in the snow in the middle of winter is so exhilarating.

Make the most of it...the mud'll be back soon.  :demon:

Although from my limited experience (the first Dusk 'till Dawn and an XC enduro race, both at Thetford) it's a pretty dry part of the country that you are in.