Author Topic: "World's steepest road" challenge  (Read 9723 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: "World's steepest road" challenge
« Reply #25 on: 13 January, 2019, 07:14:27 pm »

Amsterdam, out, round Flevopolder, and back again. 205km, with just 84m of climbing.

Gosh.  You should move to Waleslandshire.   :demon:

Are you trying to give me altitude sickness :p

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #26 on: 13 January, 2019, 07:19:41 pm »
Climbers are forever wittering on about how difficult they find it to ride on the flat, and presenting climbing as  virtuous. So I'm more interested in the world's flattest road, because that's obviously more challenging.
From showing some Spanish and Italian cyclists around some of the flattest parts of our former sea bottom I learned that they hated that the terrain demanded a constant pressure on the pedals. Apparently it is easy to forget to coast once in a while when the road does not allow for some freewheeling automatically.

Never minded climbs myself, even though I grew up in a polder, cycling 17 km to school every day, and back. Always into a headwind of course over completely flat and open roads.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 13 January, 2019, 07:46:43 pm »
Climbers are forever wittering on about how difficult they find it to ride on the flat, and presenting climbing as  virtuous. So I'm more interested in the world's flattest road, because that's obviously more challenging.
What about false flats, the bete noire of all cyclists?  Where's the falsest flat in the world?
Falsettos are always flat.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 13 January, 2019, 08:01:02 pm »

Three words:  Forty Foot Bank.

It more than makes up for whatever it lacks in physical flatness with soul-destroying blandness.  Why else would so many motorists drive into the ditch to relieve the boredom?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #29 on: 13 January, 2019, 08:12:55 pm »

It more than makes up for whatever it lacks in physical flatness with soul-destroying blandness.  Why else would so many motorists drive into the ditch to relieve the boredom?

Pfft, a baby! Afsluitdijk is longer and straighter...

The fietspad along the north of Flevopolder would be too were it not for a random kink in the middle, ditto the Markerwaardijk, not quite straight, but not far off it. Completely exposed across the Ijsselmeer.

Anyone questioning the above, you can join Randonneurs.nl with a 400km ride taking in Afsluitdijk (April 20th), or Markerwaardijk on a 200km ride on the 3rd of August.

Oh, and I just remembered the 20km straigh the length of the Harlemermeer. Through Hoofdorp, tho with some traffic lights in the middle... Not included in any audaxs tho, we're not crazy...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 13 January, 2019, 08:33:33 pm »

Pfft, a baby! Afsluitdijk is longer and straighter...

Which automatically makes it more interesting.

« Reply #31 on: 14 January, 2019, 08:30:12 am »

Personally I would rate Sixteen Foot Bank as exceeding even this - my personal choice for the flattest and dullest raod in Britain. But as Forty Foot Bank is nearby, it is quite posible to do a comparison ride.

Though I will concede that the Dutch and Belgians have some even flatter and more boring roads - I once rode from Zeebrugge to Antwerp and it is not something I would ever wish to repeat.

« Reply #32 on: 14 January, 2019, 09:02:31 pm »

Personally I would rate Sixteen Foot Bank as exceeding even this - my personal choice for the flattest and dullest raod in Britain. But as Forty Foot Bank is nearby, it is quite posible to do a comparison ride.

The Huntingdon Double Dutch 200 goes along both of them :)

« Reply #33 on: 15 January, 2019, 06:44:09 am »
Thinking of antipodean alternatives- is Nullabor hilly?  Alternatively try Ninety Mile Beach (only 55 miles long)- the challenge on a bike would be to complete it before the road gets washed away...

« Reply #34 on: 15 January, 2019, 10:51:09 pm »
Surely the falsest flat is Battle Mountain the wrong way? Flat enough to be accepted as flat, but only in 1 direction. I'm pretty sure I'd be persistently disappointed with my speed going up-course.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 19 April, 2020, 10:15:07 am »
Well, Guinness has correctly decided to measure along the centreline, instead of the inside of curves, to find the steepest road gradient. That means Wales doesn't have the 'steepest street' now. The World Atlas still gives the title to Pittsburgh though.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2020/4/baldwin-street-in-new-zealand-reinstated-as-the-worlds-steepest-street-614287/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: 19 April, 2020, 01:07:56 pm »
Apparently, when told that it had been decided to declare a new official gradient for Baldwin Street, representatives from Harlech said, "That's a bit steep." When their own gradient came out slightly less by the new method, they declared, "We condemn this shallow decision."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #37 on: 20 April, 2020, 12:21:24 pm »
Apparently, when told that it had been decided to declare a new official gradient for Baldwin Street, representatives from Harlech said, "That's a bit steep." When their own gradient came out slightly less by the new method, they declared, "We condemn this shallow decision."

This thread is rapidly going downhill
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #38 on: 21 April, 2020, 06:25:34 am »

Though I will concede that the Dutch and Belgians have some even flatter and more boring roads - I once rode from Zeebrugge to Antwerp and it is not something I would ever wish to repeat.

Sixteen foot bank is the one that sprung to mind for me as well, 10 miles dead straight heading SW with no more than a metre or so height  variation. Riding that into a southwesterly was surprisingly good preparation for both Majorca and Salzburg
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #39 on: 21 April, 2020, 07:34:56 am »

And headwind...   forever a headwind!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

S2L

« Reply #40 on: 21 April, 2020, 07:45:28 am »
28.6% might not even be the steepest street in Britain... Doesn't Rosedale Chimney exceed 30%? And Hardknott?

« Reply #41 on: 21 April, 2020, 08:16:55 am »
28.6% might not even be the steepest street in Britain... Doesn't Rosedale Chimney exceed 30%? And Hardknott?

The measurements are an average, from start to top of hill.

There are plenty of roads with small sections steeper than 30%
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #42 on: 21 April, 2020, 08:41:50 am »

Sixteen foot bank is the one that sprung to mind for me as well, 10 miles dead straight heading SW with no more than a metre or so height  variation. Riding that into a southwesterly was surprisingly good preparation for both Majorca and Salzburg

Idle Bank from Sandtoft to Tindale Bank Road. Did that at the start of the final day of LEL in 2009. Ugh.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #43 on: 21 April, 2020, 12:48:29 pm »

The Guinness rules are the steepest 10m distance, along the centreline.
Which roads are steeper? Have they ever been accurately surveyed?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #44 on: 21 April, 2020, 01:15:37 pm »

The Guinness rules are the steepest 10m distance, along the centreline.
Which roads are steeper? Have they ever been accurately surveyed?

This road on the approach to Portomarin in Galicia is very steep - particularly the bottom half as it approaches the LU-613 (towards the upper left of the picture).  Walking down it was painful in parts and it's probably the steepest road I've walked on...  and I've walked up (and down) Baldwin Street.  There is a warning about it in the Camino guides and an alternative, less steep, option.

It's probably never been measured but might well have a shot at the record.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #45 on: 21 April, 2020, 02:28:32 pm »
It just happens that I was in Dunedin about a month ago and we went on a "round the town tour" - when we goot to Baldwin Street the driver/guide was quite indignant about the Welsh claim and waxed on about bends and gradients etc in relation to a "false claim" - have to say Baldwin Street did look a bit formidable.   There was also a suggestion that someone from Dunedin had been UP the street on roller skates . . . .

Rob

S2L

« Reply #46 on: 21 April, 2020, 02:36:01 pm »
Steepest section, not steepest average, pretty sure Hardknott has more than 10 consecutive mt at 28.6%

« Reply #47 on: 22 April, 2020, 08:24:35 am »
I stand corrected, if it is only a 10m section.

There are probably roads with short sections (10m) steeper than 30%, scattered about the peak and dales.

I lived in Holmfirth for some years; one road up to my house was very very steep at the top. Cars spun wheels when the road was dry and couldn't get up the last bit if it had been raining. Another street, near town, was notorious for visitors parking (avoiding car park charges), putting on their handbrake and then watching their car roll downhill. Handbrake couldn't hold a car on that hill.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

S2L

« Reply #48 on: 22 April, 2020, 08:29:36 am »
I stand corrected, if it is only a 10m section.

There are probably roads with short sections (10m) steeper than 30%, scattered about the peak and dales.

I lived in Holmfirth for some years; one road up to my house was very very steep at the top. Cars spun wheels when the road was dry and couldn't get up the last bit if it had been raining. Another street, near town, was notorious for visitors parking (avoiding car park charges), putting on their handbrake and then watching their car roll downhill. Handbrake couldn't hold a car on that hill.

My guess is that in order to get the recognition, you need to put in the work and face some costs and whilst it is profitable for a village or town, it isn't if the road is in the middle of nowhere, with no prospect of revenue coming as a result of the award... in fact, it might just create further costs to police the number of idiots challenging themselves to go up or down it in various ways