Author Topic: SR Cymru  (Read 37756 times)

Re: SR Cymru
« Reply #75 on: 22 August, 2013, 01:45:21 pm »
Damn, now it looks like my hairbrained scheme may have to be comitted too  ;D I blame steve1 for encouraging me to try this madness.

Time to consult SWMBO and get things booked, do you think picking up flowers on the way home will be too obvious
Organising the Saddleworth Audax's on the 5th July 1015:
200K Bowland
170K Slaidburn
100K Widdop - includes a return up Cragg Vale

Come play in the Pennines with Saddleworth Clarion

« Reply #76 on: 22 August, 2013, 01:57:44 pm »
SWMBO will know but I find it still helps

« Reply #77 on: 03 November, 2013, 09:23:32 pm »
I think I did an SR Cymru in the 2013 season. Does anyone know if this slightly niche award is still available? I emailed the person I thought to be responsible for it, but no word yet.

« Reply #78 on: 04 November, 2013, 09:54:41 am »
Henry, how could you not be aware that the 'slightly niche' award to which you appear to aspire is still relative rare. To obtain the SR Cymru you need to submit details of your qualifying rides to me at "rossjeal@btinternet.com". The names of the scheduled rides and their AUK Event Numbers would be appreciated. Unscheduled rides sometimes need further verification so please provide full details, organiser, date and gpx file if possible.
Regards,
Ross Jeal

« Reply #79 on: 04 November, 2013, 10:27:26 am »
Hi Ross thanks, it was yourself, but I can see that I had the email address wrong. Correct email is incoming. I remain on tenterhooks of delight pending a review of my activities in the Land of My Fathers (not my fathers though, as I am of Romanian and Scottish descent).

« Reply #80 on: 11 August, 2014, 04:45:41 pm »
Hello, I just posted on facebook regarding this; so sorry if cross-posting problem. Is there an up to date list of what qualifies for the SR Cymru? Also is there working link of what the badge looks like? I'm yet to do my first Audax, but I am very keen and tend to plan things in my head a couple of years in advance so realise this is a bit fantasy island thinking about an SR.
nam dan on fb

« Reply #81 on: 11 August, 2014, 04:54:24 pm »
Joining in a bit late but does a 100, and 200 cambs perm + Elenydd 300 + Brev Cymru 400 + Bryan Chapman 600, + living (just_) in Wales qualify ?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Chris N

« Reply #82 on: 11 August, 2014, 04:58:19 pm »
AFAIK, Ross is still the man to talk to.  The rides have to be 75% Welsh, unless he's changed the criteria.  Elenydd doesn't count IIRC, and you'd have to check the 100 and 200.  Brevet Cymru and Bryan Chapman should qualify.

« Reply #83 on: 11 August, 2014, 05:13:04 pm »
AFAIK, Ross is still the man to talk to.  The rides have to be 75% Welsh, unless he's changed the criteria.  Elenydd doesn't count IIRC, and you'd have to check the 100 and 200.  Brevet Cymru and Bryan Chapman should qualify.

------mmm  ::-) forgot that a lot of Elenydd is in Shropshire---particualrly when `real` hills are in the Welsh sections, pity  :'(
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #84 on: 11 August, 2014, 08:20:35 pm »
Hmmm, interesting.

How about the Irish Mail 400 perm? Starts in England but heads straight into
Wales it looks like. Have done BCM and have a card for IM 400 perm that I
intend to do fairly soon as part of quest for 50 AAA points this season.

If it does could head over to Wales for a weekend of some 300 + some 200
to wrap it up.  :)

ed. Eh, just checked upthread, and IM 400 is mentioned as a valid ride!

« Reply #85 on: 11 August, 2014, 08:23:35 pm »
How about the Irish Mail 400 perm?

Check p2 and p3 of this thread and all will be revealed.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #86 on: 11 August, 2014, 10:31:25 pm »
Elenydd is only about 50% Welsh so doesn't qualify unfortunately. The Irish Mail does though.

« Reply #87 on: 12 August, 2014, 08:17:25 am »
I think I may have this one in the bag:

Various 200 Cambrians done, Peacocks & Kites 300, Brevet Cymru, Bryan Chapman

This means another badge, right  ;D ;D
Does not play well with others

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #88 on: 18 August, 2014, 10:19:25 pm »
A medal, the last time I looked.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #89 on: 17 June, 2015, 04:24:27 pm »
How do I go about claiming my badge; I see on the audax uk website RJ - Ross Jeal; but don't see any contact details for them.
nam dan on fb

« Reply #90 on: 17 June, 2015, 04:40:51 pm »
Read the thread above!

« Reply #91 on: 17 June, 2015, 04:58:27 pm »
Read the thread above!

:facepalm: sorry that'll teach me for skimming, emailing now :)
nam dan on fb

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #92 on: 13 October, 2017, 09:20:31 pm »
Is this still a thing?

Presumably this is not a tour rides count as does the mille cymru?
Which would just leave a 200 and a 400.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #93 on: 13 October, 2017, 09:45:50 pm »
Is this still a thing?

Presumably this is not a tour rides count as does the mille cymru?
Which would just leave a 200 and a 400.

Not entirely sure whom's running it now..The rules/qualification requirements seem to change depending on whom's doing admin.

I'm sure that any of the "This is not a tour" rides at randonnuer pace will qualify as they happen in the Princepality.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #94 on: 13 October, 2017, 11:46:16 pm »
Regarding the SR Cymru award requirements: - Yes, I am still the holder and distributor of this award.
It was to be taken over by AUK Management but that seems to have been forgotten.
So, the following detail is still relevant until I am relieved of the task!

The SR Cymru is still the same as the regular SR with which you will be familiar and DIYs therefore qualify.
The only additional requirement is that the rides you nominate must run 75% within Wales or, failing that the total ascent must be 75% in Wales.

Without the 75% Welsh element there would be little point going for the SR Cymru!

The list of qualifying Welsh rides continues to be developed, but currently is as follows: -

200Km
Carmarthen Bay, Down with The British, Ferryside Fish Foray, Gower Getter, Transporter, Monmouthshire Meander, Making Hay, 'Round Rhondda, Elan & Ystwyth and Tregaron Dragon, Cambrian 200

300Km
Peacocks and Kites

400Km
Teifi Traveller, Irish Mail, Brevet Cymru

600Km
Bryan Chapman, Cambrian

As can be noted, we are pretty limited on choice of rides in the 300 category and not exactly flush in the 400 and 600Km categories.
The Offa's Dyke 600 does not qualify on distance or ascent criteria within Wales. Neither does the Kiddermister Killer or the Elenith, sorry.

If anyone knows of other audaxes which would qualify or of any above which do not, then I would be pleased to learn of them.

I have received but one application to date so if there are others who believe they have earned the SR Cymru award then please let me know with an email to rossjeal@gladestry.com

Presently I am rather snowed under with the Welsh Festival of Cycling, the Gladestry Audax Weekend and riding the Wednesday Peaks so don't expect to get a response, especially where a decision is needed much before September!

Regards,
Ross Jeal

whosatthewheel

« Reply #95 on: 14 October, 2017, 07:20:17 am »
Regarding the SR Cymru award requirements: - Yes, I am still the holder and distributor of this award.
It was to be taken over by AUK Management but that seems to have been forgotten.
So, the following detail is still relevant until I am relieved of the task!

The SR Cymru is still the same as the regular SR with which you will be familiar and DIYs therefore qualify.
The only additional requirement is that the rides you nominate must run 75% within Wales or, failing that the total ascent must be 75% in Wales.

Without the 75% Welsh element there would be little point going for the SR Cymru!

The list of qualifying Welsh rides continues to be developed, but currently is as follows: -

200Km
Carmarthen Bay, Down with The British, Ferryside Fish Foray, Gower Getter, Transporter, Monmouthshire Meander, Making Hay, 'Round Rhondda, Elan & Ystwyth and Tregaron Dragon, Cambrian 200

300Km
Peacocks and Kites

400Km
Teifi Traveller, Irish Mail, Brevet Cymru

600Km
Bryan Chapman, Cambrian

As can be noted, we are pretty limited on choice of rides in the 300 category and not exactly flush in the 400 and 600Km categories.
The Offa's Dyke 600 does not qualify on distance or ascent criteria within Wales. Neither does the Kiddermister Killer or the Elenith, sorry.

If anyone knows of other audaxes which would qualify or of any above which do not, then I would be pleased to learn of them.

I have received but one application to date so if there are others who believe they have earned the SR Cymru award then please let me know with an email to rossjeal@gladestry.com

Presently I am rather snowed under with the Welsh Festival of Cycling, the Gladestry Audax Weekend and riding the Wednesday Peaks so don't expect to get a response, especially where a decision is needed much before September!

Regards,
Ross Jeal

Snowdon and Lakes 300?

« Reply #96 on: 14 October, 2017, 09:46:06 am »
With more than 75% of route in Wales and all climbing in Wales, then one assumes the Snowdon and Lakes 300 will qualify for SR Cymru.

« Reply #97 on: 14 October, 2017, 11:46:28 am »
The "Snowdon and Lakes 300" is not a ride with which I am familiar.

The ride would need to be located 75% with Wales, that's 75% of the total distance or 75% of the total ascent.
You could work it out for yourself but if you wish me to do it then I need the following information: -

The Event number, the future scheduled date of the ride and is there a GPS routing available from anyone?

Regards,
Ross Jeal

« Reply #98 on: 14 October, 2017, 01:00:48 pm »
The AUK calendar suggests that it's being run by John Hamilton on June 9th

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-425/

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #99 on: 14 October, 2017, 02:24:31 pm »
From the list of controls all in Wales except the start/finish it seems likely that 75% is in Wales. But no route information to confirm that.

Eddington  127miles, 170km