Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 516373 times)

Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #50 on: 29 November, 2015, 12:13:51 pm »
I caught the last bit of the Revolution series last night.  One of the Wiggins riders - Owain  Duill?  - was riding a 110" gear in the Madison.   If that is an option at the National Velodrome I nominate Tomsk and the BFC. 
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #51 on: 29 November, 2015, 06:05:45 pm »
I think a sub-board would be interesting, but I quite like it all in one thread - less to hunt down or miss in that format... suspect a sub-forum will be a great idea as the nights draw in, and less so when its sunny out there again :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #52 on: 02 December, 2015, 11:14:46 am »
So, we are now looking at a Mid Essex Audax Thread (MEAT) on the audax board  :o

This could be a good place to plan our campaign for BCM, run a roll call for Santa Special and events to follow and generally keep the planning and reporting threads on this board free for the important things like beer, bitching and (occasionally) bikes. 

Huggy, the rest of us are in enough trouble for starting new threads, over to you to start MEAT.... :thumbsup:

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #53 on: 02 December, 2015, 11:26:52 am »
So, we are now looking at a Mid Essex Audax Thread (MEAT) on the audax board  :o

This could be a good place to plan our campaign for BCM, run a roll call for Santa Special and events to follow and generally keep the planning and reporting threads on this board free for the important things like beer, bitching and (occasionally) bikes. 

Huggy, the rest of us are in enough trouble for starting new threads, over to you to start MEAT.... :thumbsup:

That way Huggy, OD can provide you with loads of abuse about being a splitter.....  :o even though it was down to him that the split happened  ::-)  :P

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #54 on: 02 December, 2015, 12:41:55 pm »
History isn't my big thing but I think DL and ted are a bit like Henry VIII taking England away from Rome and forming the CoE just because they couldn't take a bit of constructive feedback  ;D

I bet old Henry wasn't beyond a bit of dogging!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #55 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:08:14 am »
Despite some of our regulars being unavailable we still managed to muster 6 machines on the road last night - me, huggy, bobb, Beer Fueled Commuter, AndyC33 and Tomsk.

Keen to pursue my new policy of sitting at the back chatting I requested a gentlemanly pace, a request that was largely ignored.  I did manage some chatting interspersed with grabbing large lungfuls of air!  The weather was unseasonably mild and jiber's route went down well.

Once we got to the Woolie we lied about us all being CAMRA members so were granted access to their mini-beer fest.  jibers and his lovely WAG Josie soon rocked up and a most convivial evening commenced.

The Witham peloton took a direct route back which saw us returning home on a Wednesday.

Although I say so myself I'm rather pleased with my new Christmas jumper cycling jersey ...

« Reply #56 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:13:36 am »
History isn't my big thing but I think DL and ted are a bit like Henry VIII taking England away from Rome and forming the CoE just because they couldn't take a bit of constructive feedback  ;D

I bet old Henry wasn't beyond a bit of dogging!

I can certainly see you in the Cardinal Wolsey role.  You share extravagant and avant garde dress sense but also a desire to cling on to traditional ways when the world is changing around you.

If DL is Henry VIII, I will be Lord Chancellor Richard Rich, of course.   Tomsk is Thomas More, Huggy is Cromwell and in a weirdly anachronistic turn, Tippers is Friar Tuck  ;D

Time to get dissolving.

The Retiree

« Reply #57 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:15:04 am »
What about The Hustler?
Not sure Jiber would approve of the non matching arm wear......

Oscar's dad

« Reply #58 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:25:18 am »
Time to get dissolving.

Oh I wish you hadn't said that  ::-)  Oaky will be along in a minute to explain (again!) how dissolving solids in a mug of hot water changes the note when said mug is tapped with a spoon.

« Reply #59 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:27:33 am »
Hustler, Bishop Fisher.

I am sure there are a number of things that our very own Beau Brummell did not approve of in relation to OD's outfit.  He really does push the boundaries of avant garde, if such a thing is even possible.

I hope to return to the back of the peloton shortly to keep my new companion OD happy. It will be good to have someone to converse with about the Church's 16th century schism with Rome, transubstantiation, the Reformation and the like  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #60 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:58:21 am »
Over the coming dark months there'll be no need to bore each other senseless with tales of previous daring doings or plans for the future involving the ECEing of some obscure audax whose faintly amusing name tries to convince prospective riders that hooning through the night only to grab forty winks in the windy corner of a petrol station forecourt is fun - Type 2 or otherwise.

Instead ted will be delivering some short lectures on exactly who Bishop Fisher, Richard Rich etc are and how they relate to recent events plus  members of the MEMWNS peloton.  ted you'll get bonus points if you can incorporate mime and finger puppets into your deliveries.

Of course Tomsk can fall asleep at the back as he knows all this stuff already.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: 03 December, 2015, 09:00:44 am »
;D

...Tomsk is Thomas More...

Yes indeed, that's me, A Man for All Seasons.

Now all we need are six WAGs, and a man with a very large axe...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #62 on: 03 December, 2015, 09:03:26 am »
Of course Tomsk can fall asleep at the back as he knows all this stuff already.

See, told you ...

;D

...Tomsk is Thomas More...

Yes indeed, that's me, A Man for All Seasons.

Now all we need are six WAGs, and a man with a very large axe...

« Reply #63 on: 03 December, 2015, 09:12:44 am »
Hang on, who was it who started the Henry VIII guff ?

Usual suspect of course.

I am happier discoursing on beer, bikes and boats.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #64 on: 03 December, 2015, 09:24:50 am »
I am happier discoursing on beer, bikes and boats.

You're being way too modest, there's soooo much more you could give  ;D 

Last night The Compasses quiz night on Wednesday 16th was discussed and it decided we should enter at least one team given we have so many clever people to hand.

« Reply #65 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:44:36 am »
I can see us doing well in the round on what happens to liquids when you dissolve solids, there's always a round on that at pub quizzes.

Beau Brummell can cover fashion and Middlesbrough FC (as distinct from sport).

The Hustler will do the Jarrow March and fair trade coconut oil, again banker rounds.

You will obviously do Yohji Yamamoto.

Not sure what the rest of us will be bringing to the table though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #66 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:49:23 am »
You will obviously do Yohji Yamamoto.

I will?  :o

Isn't Yohji Yamamoto a brand of car tyre?  I'm sure I saw the name on hoardings at the Japanese Gran Prix.  I was watching on the telly, unlike Oaky I haven't been further east than Harwich - or was it Lowestoft?

The Retiree

« Reply #67 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:52:12 am »
^^^^ probably best you don't do the geography round  ::-)

Will there be a round on the goings on at Hurrells do we think....? We should be well covered there with the Danbury dogger and all the interest you guys currently hold in it  :o

« Reply #68 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:59:46 am »
I don't know a lot about pub quizzes but it's Essex so it's almost certainly a legal requirement that there is a dogging round.

A chance for you to shine.

The Retiree

« Reply #69 on: 03 December, 2015, 11:03:56 am »
I don't know a lot about pub quizzes but it's Essex so it's almost certainly a legal requirement that there is a dogging round.

I merely use the name old chap it's other members of this parish that hold all the knowledge about it  :-\  :o  ::-)  :-[

Oscar's dad

« Reply #70 on: 03 December, 2015, 11:20:35 am »

I merely use the name old chap it's other members of this parish that hold all the knowledge about it  :-\  :o  ::-)  :-[

That is a flagrant and despicable lie!  Was it not you who did some on-line research and found out that Dogger's Lane was favoured by gay and transsexual doggers and all the activity went on in the parked vans as opposed to in the nature reserve as we originally suspected???

The Retiree

« Reply #71 on: 03 December, 2015, 11:24:31 am »
That is a flagrant and despicable lie!  Was it not you who did some on-line research and found out that Dogger's Lane was favoured by gay and transsexual doggers and all the activity went on in the parked vans as opposed to in the nature reserve as we originally suspected???

I can indeed confirm that I established that HL is the TV dogging capital of Essex, the van thing was merely an observation whilst riding past, I believe it was you that suggested that the nature reserve was involved......  ::-)

Since then I have left it to other members to regularly bring up HL  O:-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #72 on: 03 December, 2015, 11:32:20 am »
Lies.

The Retiree

« Reply #73 on: 03 December, 2015, 11:36:15 am »

« Reply #74 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:12:13 pm »
You two are fascinated by it.

At least I know what you talk about at the front of the peloton now.

The Hustler and I (when he slows down for me) discuss weightier matters like 1980s indie music.