Author Topic: Zwifting - I think I need help!  (Read 76860 times)

Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Reply #550 on: 30 November, 2021, 10:24:27 am »
That's a loss of connection to the Zwift server. Most likely at your end, but could be anywhere in the system.
Interesting. I've never quite worked out how much of the courses and scenery and so on are stored locally, and how much obtained on demand. So I assumed that the fact that I was still able to ride meant that I was still connected.

It's a great trick to deploy if you want to ride alone. Load up the program, then disable the computer's connection to the internet. Ride any course (if you have the course hack) in glorious solitude!
I might have been known to do this on well subscribed events where there is a cacophony of 'mooing'. If you've never experienced this phenomenon- lucky you.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #551 on: 30 November, 2021, 12:46:30 pm »
I might have been known to do this on well subscribed events where there is a cacophony of 'mooing'. If you've never experienced this phenomenon- lucky you.
Assume you mean The Herd rides? I'm a "member" of The Herd and whilst others seem to love it [the mooing], I don't and changed my rider name to drop the reference. Maybe I'm less of a pack animal than I thought. Oh wait, I'm a Pack member too. I'm confused as to my identity now  :facepalm:.

« Reply #552 on: 30 November, 2021, 01:09:04 pm »
I did the first stage of the Neokyo Badge Hunting series yesterday evening.  It was supposed to show off the highlights of the newest world but it merely allowed me to demonstrate how comprehensively I can trash myself in less than 15 minutes.  At no point was I in the slightest bit receptive to the scenery as I was desperately trying to keep in front of as many of the 1800 other participants as possible - especially the guy from work who I knew was there.

I started to enjoy it once I had stopped and seen the results   :smug:

« Reply #553 on: 30 November, 2021, 01:24:05 pm »
Assume you mean The Herd rides? I'm a "member" of The Herd and whilst others seem to love it [the mooing], I don't and changed my rider name to drop the reference. Maybe I'm less of a pack animal than I thought. Oh wait, I'm a Pack member too. I'm confused as to my identity now  :facepalm:.
If it was a Herd ride I'd be less bothered, but when there's 1000 riders doing a Fondo / Tour/ whatever ride and someone randomly moos.. and 50 of their Herdmates all join in? Ugh.

« Reply #554 on: 30 November, 2021, 01:42:01 pm »
Is that a Baaa humbug response? Never encountered mooing myself. I'll look out for it and avoid it.

« Reply #555 on: 03 December, 2021, 09:03:13 pm »
One of my team’s captains has set us all a target 5s power to attain by Christmas.  My first target was 1000W, which was a bit low for me, so he’s upped it to 1200W, which I’ve never even achieved momentarily!  I’d be delighted if I could get the 1.21 Gigawatts badge (actually 1.2kW) - my best is 1178W so far…

« Reply #556 on: 03 December, 2021, 09:19:49 pm »
Don’t numbers that high depend mostly on glitching your power meter?

« Reply #557 on: 03 December, 2021, 09:33:47 pm »
320W would be more like it for me. Though I did get the GW badge once when my speed sensor blew up and sent Zwift dodgy readings ;D

« Reply #558 on: 03 December, 2021, 09:37:33 pm »
I got the 1.2kW badge ages ago.  It was an obvious glitch but I could find a way to un-get it :(

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #559 on: 03 December, 2021, 11:15:44 pm »
One of my team’s captains has set us all a target 5s power to attain by Christmas.  My first target was 1000W, which was a bit low for me, so he’s upped it to 1200W, which I’ve never even achieved momentarily!  I’d be delighted if I could get the 1.21 Gigawatts badge (actually 1.2kW) - my best is 1178W so far…

I’m humbled. I thought I was doing well when I hit 550W on a 10s sprint today. Obviously could try harder.

« Reply #560 on: 04 December, 2021, 08:37:52 am »
I haven't even seen 500 for months.

Mr Smith is tantalisingly close to 1000.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #561 on: 04 December, 2021, 04:14:58 pm »
I've hit 960W several times - most recently last week. I can't (and can't be bothered to) get it any higher!

« Reply #562 on: 04 December, 2021, 10:58:23 pm »
I did the Sprint Profile workout tonight (as recommended by Defblade somewhere upthread), and chalked up 1184w instantaneous and 1150w 5s average.  My 10s power was somewhat less than I’ve attained before, but my 20s power was a PB (chiefly because I’ve never tried to hold a sprint that long before…)

« Reply #563 on: 20 December, 2021, 10:41:37 am »
I recorded a peak of 1199w and a 5-second average of 1175w last week... :demon:

Last night I did a Masochism Special, which is a 1000W instantaneous sprint every minute, on the minute, as many times as you can manage.  My previous best had been 13, but I pushed myself to do 32 yesterday evening.  The first 5 or so are quite easy, but then...  Normally, my fan keeps my sweat under control, but it was streaming into my eyes and making my hands ridiculously slippery yesterday.  It might have been easier on a level, smooth 'road', because where I failed was on the offroad KOM, where I noticed wheelspin for the first time in Zwift.

« Reply #564 on: 20 December, 2021, 12:12:39 pm »
What is really upsetting is that for you that is only a TSS of 81!!

« Reply #565 on: 20 December, 2021, 12:43:46 pm »
Nah, look at all that blue. He was taking it easy!

« Reply #566 on: 20 December, 2021, 05:02:41 pm »
What is really upsetting is that for you that is only a TSS of 81!!
I think Zwift thinks my FTP is 310, whereas I doubt it's more than 290 at the moment.

« Reply #567 on: 20 December, 2021, 08:14:05 pm »
I think you are a bit younger than I am.  I am not really jealous!

« Reply #568 on: 21 December, 2021, 07:39:23 pm »
Turned 40 last summer.  Been working on my sprint recently to get this wretched 1200w badge, rather to the detriment of my aerobic fitness.

« Reply #569 on: 30 May, 2022, 10:23:14 pm »
I just succumbed, bought a Tacx Neo 2T from the Zwift website, on sale at £800, down from £1200. Mainly so that I can keep fitness during the winter. Gonna be interesting, never had a trainer before.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #570 on: 31 May, 2022, 09:08:43 am »
Zwift had everything on sale as they were said to be about to launch their own bike.  But then they cancelled their hardware.  I had assumed they had put the prices straight back up again but apparently not.

« Reply #571 on: 01 June, 2022, 06:05:23 am »
You will love it, it’s the best direct-drive trainer out there.

« Reply #572 on: 01 June, 2022, 08:02:14 am »
It's supposed to be delivered today - if it shows up, can't fault the shipping!
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #573 on: 13 June, 2022, 09:50:26 pm »
Finally had chance to get everything setup tonight and had my first spin around the intro course. I like it  :thumbsup: The ¨rumble strips¨, aka cobbles and piers were interesting. I was running the app on an ancient laptop which isn´t ideal...I think you are supposed to run it on your phone so you can choose directions? Also projecting onto a TV would help - but that will have to wait until I´ve finished buying a house so I have somewhere to put one.

Looks like a heart rate monitor might be a good idea too. I splurged some of the money I saved in the Zwift sale on a Wahoo KICKR headwind fan which can link to your speed or HR...linking to speed doesn´t work very well when you´re going uphill slowly but working hard!

« Reply #574 on: 15 June, 2022, 12:14:29 pm »
That sound brilliant, Phil21.  :thumbsup:

I run it on a fairly ancient Windows laptop and it's okay.  I'm hoping to get a TV and HDMI to it when I get round to tidying up my Zwifting suite - it's a bit of a mess atm.  I've tried riding on an iPhone 7 screen before and, while it's okay for just pootling or workouts, it's much too small for racing.

For controlling, I run an AutoHotkey script on the laptop and have a Bluetooth remote button thingy on my handlebars so that I can navigate, activate power-ups, take photos, adjust workout bias etc without having to fiddle with the laptop.  There's a good guide here.

HRM is essential if you're interested in racing - most races won't give you a classified 'zwiftpower' finish if you don't have a monitor.  I use a Garmin Dual - connection can be flaky at times.

In spite of the rampant cheating, racing on Zwift is brilliant and brilliantly addictive.  There's a separate race classification website called zwiftpower which is a goldmine of data and rankings.  Registering is a bit of a convoluted process, but it's a one-time thing.