Author Topic: 222-47 Tyre for disabled person trike. Anyone help?  (Read 1043 times)

222-47 Tyre for disabled person trike. Anyone help?
« on: 27 November, 2021, 09:02:34 pm »
Hi all,

I run a local bike shop and I've offered to help a (85 yr old) lady who has a severely mentally disabled daughter (aged 60 odd, mental age of a 3 yr old) whose only happy place in life seems to be doing laps of the local park on her trike.

The old Pashley trike has 11 x 1 ¾ tyres, or ETRTO 222-47. These tyres were used on these trikes, and also Raleigh Tomahawk choppers, and are now as rare as hen's teeth. Does anyone by any chance have any of any condition (better than through to the cloth) that we could buy and fit to it for her?

I suspect we could actually change the wheel size of the trike to 12 inch, but there are complications regarding covid, and getting the trike out without the daughter on it etc to have a proper look.

I have already contacted Raleigh, Pashley and most other obvious avenues, as well as (obviously) a good ol' internet search.

So, if anyone has one or two (I've sourced one!) hanging around, it would be incredibly appreciated. Clearly not a profit-making enterprise for us, just trying to do something nice for someone in need.

Cheers.

butternutbikes.co.uk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: 222-47 Tyre for disabled person trike. Anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2021, 09:39:03 pm »
Good luck but I know what I would put my money on. Changing the wheel size (or the complete tricycle) is the likely solution.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-inch-Bike-Adult-Tricycle-5-Speed-3-Wheel-Bicycle-Trike-KEN-ROGER-/185181432983 is a cheap but decent quality small-wheeled trike that can be serviced. I live in West London and am happy to pick up and transport the trike in your direction.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/on3wheels/complete-trikes-f4/ is the Tricycle Association’s forum discussing complete trikes for sale, usually racing machines but also well-designed small-wheelers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2021, 12:32:40 am »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255228237807?hash=item3b6cc9d7ef:g:o94AAOSwNvdhkVKh

Mind you, at £85, a replacement trike woukld probably be cheaper.

« Reply #3 on: 28 November, 2021, 04:39:42 pm »
If the brake drop is possible (222 to 203 - the oddity of going from 11 to 12 and finding a smaller rim as a consequence) - or if it has drum brakes - there's a choice of tyres  from Schwalbe for the 203 rim. Given that the tyres are less than a tenner from a reputable internet supplier it might well be cheaper in the long run to change wheels rather than sourcing tyres in the 222 size.

Edit: I have found this - I can't tell whether it's serious or not https://www.ifragstefan.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=297387

No guarantee they'll send to UK, seller appears to be continental, but probably worth a follow-up. FWIW I am continental!

« Reply #4 on: 28 November, 2021, 05:06:38 pm »
Edit: I have found this - I can't tell whether it's serious or not https://www.ifragstefan.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=297387

No guarantee they'll send to UK, seller appears to be continental, but probably worth a follow-up. FWIW I am continental!

I'd steer clear of this one: https://www.scam-detector.com/validator/ifragstefan-com-review/ (the lack of any actual contact details - bar a gmail address - always sets alarm bells off with me).

The only one I could see for sale on the web in the UK was the £85 one on eBay already posted by andrew_s above. :(

I found a "Raleigh Tomahawk owners club uk" group on Facebook: perhaps it could be worth asking in there in case anyone's got a used one lying around?

« Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2021, 05:17:19 pm »
Butternut Bikes  -  this reads as  daughter is very attached to her trike, and taking  it away, even for a short time and  the best  reasons may cause distress.

, but there are complications regarding covid, and getting the trike out without the daughter on it etc to have a proper look.

You could consider the Ken Rodgers option  -

As LWAB sez they are good quality, Gary Wright and Geoff Booker are currently refurbishing two of them. I expect you could get it tidyed up with volunteer help.

Then present as a 'new trike' which will be a positive for daughter

« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2021, 10:04:37 pm »
Butternut Bikes  -  this reads as  daughter is very attached to her trike, and taking  it away, even for a short time and  the best  reasons may cause distress.

, but there are complications regarding covid, and getting the trike out without the daughter on it etc to have a proper look.

You could consider the Ken Rodgers option  -

As LWAB sez they are good quality, Gary Wright and Geoff Booker are currently refurbishing two of them. I expect you could get it tidyed up with volunteer help.

Then present as a 'new trike' which will be a positive for daughter

I think this is a good idea. Obviously I'm also dealing with an 85 yr old mother who is slightly confused herself. It's a difficult situation as also due to Covid we can't go round and visit. I think the lateral thinking approach here about getting a new trike is probably the best idea. Thanks all. I will raise it with her and see if that would fly. Happy to spend a few quid to get it done, we're not a big money-making shop but £100 to make someone happy is worth it for the feels and, frankly, a couple of hours of my time trying to find these random sized tyres!

I had to get some 22 inch tyres from Finland the other day, I have a feeling that no matter what size tyres and tubes we stock, there's always someone who comes into the shop determined to catch me out!

« Reply #7 on: 28 November, 2021, 10:42:21 pm »
Butternut, Good of you to go the extra mile, how about you approach the eBay seller, they may delist or sell at reduced price given the intended use.