Author Topic: Preppers and prepping tendencies  (Read 21486 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Preppers and prepping tendencies
« Reply #50 on: 15 January, 2019, 03:11:39 pm »
"Each Brit consumes 110 toilet rolls a year—two and half time the European average."
The implication being we're two and a half times as full of shit!

We don't go thru 4 rolls a week...
Now you're yanking our chains.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #51 on: 15 January, 2019, 08:44:42 pm »
I listened to this (apologies for the itunes link - you can find it elsewhere), so I've stocked upon tins and UHT milk and stuff. If the brexapocalypse is avoided then I'll just give a load of it to the food bank.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-fall/id1437140842?mt=2

I really hope it doesn't get serious enough for barakta to have to drink UHT milk.  I'll never hear the end of it.  Maybe I should invest in a cow...
There's an easy way to avoid that. Persuade her to go vegan.  :demon:

:sick: most plant milks taste worse than UHT...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #52 on: 15 January, 2019, 09:02:22 pm »
Mrs Cudzo (who is not vegan) has made an extensive empirical trial of the best plant milks to go with coffee. She currently reckons almond but seems to change her mind from time to time. There does seem to be quite a lot of variation from brand to brand.

« Reply #53 on: 15 January, 2019, 09:07:21 pm »
"Each Brit consumes 110 toilet rolls a year—two and half time the European average."
The implication being we're two and a half times as full of shit!

Toilet paper in ABROAD is tougher than the soft BRITISH kind, so instead of two sheets folded twice, a single sheet folded once is normally enough. So really we're only a bit more full of shit.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #54 on: 15 January, 2019, 09:19:28 pm »
That just means British arses are softer. And sorer!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #55 on: 15 January, 2019, 09:22:06 pm »
Actually I'm not sure I believe that loo roll figure. As Tors pointed out, 4 rolls per week per person? I reckon that might be a household figure not a per person.

« Reply #56 on: 15 January, 2019, 09:37:07 pm »
An 9 pack of Andrex finest on my way home tonight.  And Tesco had Twinings Lansang Souchong for £2.50 per box, which is 80p off the normal price.  I bought all 6 boxes on display. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 15 January, 2019, 09:56:23 pm »
Mrs Cudzo (who is not vegan) has made an extensive empirical trial of the best plant milks to go with coffee. She currently reckons almond but seems to change her mind from time to time. There does seem to be quite a lot of variation from brand to brand.

But the one thing they all have in common is that they'll be stuck in a queue in ABROAD when the brexshit hits the fan.

ian

« Reply #58 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:22:03 am »
I don't mind almond 'milk' but it tastes nothing like milk and a lot like almonds. Oat milk tastes like white emulsion, a fact I've verified. Almonds, of course, because of their irrigation needs will destroy the world quicker than cows with WMDs. But they are so tasty.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #59 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:37:26 am »
I don't mind almond 'milk' but it tastes nothing like milk and a lot like almonds. Oat milk tastes like white emulsion, a fact I've verified. Almonds, of course, because of their irrigation needs will destroy the world quicker than cows with WMDs. But they are so tasty.
Video or it didn't happen! Oh, you didn't mean emulsion paint...

ian

« Reply #60 on: 16 January, 2019, 10:17:10 am »

Well, literally I suppose it is an emulsion, but yes paint. Anyway, I think anyone who's attempted to paint the lunar landscape of an artex ceiling can validate this.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #61 on: 16 January, 2019, 10:18:41 am »
Growing plants on the moon is nothing compared to painting its ceiling.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 16 January, 2019, 12:28:17 pm »

Well, literally I suppose it is an emulsion, but yes paint. Anyway, I think anyone who's attempted to paint the lunar landscape of an artex ceiling can validate this.

+1 corroboration.  At least I wasn't wearing expensive new glasses, like my mum was.

« Reply #63 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:45:15 am »
I always have a knife on me. Either a Swiss Army knife or an Opinel or similar. I also keep one in the car. Also a mini Mag lite. Does this count as prepping :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #64 on: 22 January, 2019, 10:37:11 am »
I always have a knife on me. Either a Swiss Army knife or an Opinel or similar. I also keep one in the car. Also a mini Mag lite. Does this count as prepping :)
No, just "going equipped". Officer!

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #65 on: 22 January, 2019, 04:01:51 pm »
I always have a Swiss Army knife in my pocket and a Topeak Alien multi-tool in the saddle bag.
Advena ego sum in Terra

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #66 on: 22 January, 2019, 04:44:45 pm »
No, just "going equipped". Officer!
Although intent is generally the acid test that allows the officer some discretion. I inhereted a 12” bladed knife in a leg scabbard, but I’d not take it out of the garage unless I was traveling to a dive site with the intent of diving. It would be very difficult to explain why I was carrying that down the high street. But I’ve usually got a knife in my pocket, either a Swiss army or a Opinel, both of which are technically illegal as they both have locking blades. I can’t imagine why I would be stopped, but if I was I’d hope that I’d be able to convince the officer to use his discretion in my favour as I have no intent to us it as a weapon. That said, I try to remember to take it out of my pocket when I go into THAT LONDON
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #67 on: 22 January, 2019, 05:02:29 pm »
I can’t imagine why I would be stopped, but if I was I’d hope that I’d be able to convince the officer to use his discretion in my favour as I have no intent to us it as a weapon.

I think this is what's technically known as white privilege.  Age helps too, of course.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #68 on: 22 January, 2019, 06:19:08 pm »
Age makes a big difference. Once you hit your 40s, strangers start assuming you're harmless.

ian

« Reply #69 on: 22 January, 2019, 07:44:04 pm »
I'm not sure of the benefits of arresting middle-age men with penknives. Unless there's a Swiss Army fifth column set on retrieving their lilac cows.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 22 January, 2019, 07:56:48 pm »
Age makes a big difference. Once you hit your 40s, strangers start assuming you're harmless.

When not riding unusually-shaped bicycles, I've been invisible to teenage oiks for at least 5 years now.  This is approximately the same amount of time since someone last asked to see my ID when purchasing drinkohol/solvents/stabby things.  I expect I could walk around Camden all day and nobody would try to sell me weed.

Obviously I'm too white and female to ever have been randomly stopped and searched.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #71 on: 22 January, 2019, 08:20:43 pm »
I think I've only every been asked for ID when buying something twice in my life and those were both in the last six years or so: both as security while test riding bicycles. Actually, might be three times. I bought two of the bikes but not the middle one. Prevalent suspicion, general carrying of ID and enforcement of minimum drinking etc ages where not yet fashionable when I was sufficiently young to suffer from them (or at least not yet in the places where I was, even though some of them had higher ages).

But I was thinking not just of hossifers of the loire and beenage hoiks. "You know you're middle aged when... " random female strangers choose to sit next to you on the bus, etc. I guess this doesn't apply if you're female.

ian

« Reply #72 on: 22 January, 2019, 08:37:46 pm »
I got offered home-delivered weed in Herne Hill the other week. I still got some cred. Or a ridiculously hipster beard. That said, I doubt he delivered all the way to Surrey. Even entrepreneurial drug dealers fear the bear.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #73 on: 22 January, 2019, 11:11:55 pm »
I bought an Opinel for someone as a Christmas present. I had to produce photo I'D (I used my driving licence) and the fact I'd produced said I'D was recorded on the receipt.

For weed, just hang around my Scout Hut car park. (For clarity, my Scouts aren't dealing, it's just the car park is a bit off the main drag and is favoured by people driving cars with blacked out windows and stinking of the stuff)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #74 on: 22 January, 2019, 11:32:53 pm »
WE do have rather a lot of tins. This is Dez's doing. He thinks Brexit is a very real threat. Mind you, as a kidney transplant patient who would probably die in about a week without his immunosuppressants, he has a better reason than most. He has ben gradually building up his most important drugs.

I suspect that if the shit really does hit the fan on 29th March and there's a breakdown in food supply and civilisation, then we will be amongst the first to be devoured by the feral residents of Saarfend.

The maxim: never trust a tory.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.