Author Topic: Radio recommendations  (Read 44483 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Radio recommendations
« Reply #75 on: 13 September, 2019, 10:48:07 am »
There was a new production of A Kestrel for a Knave in the Saturday afternoon drama slot last week. Recorded on location in Barnsley, I've yet to listen to it but have downloaded it.
"Fisher"
"German Bight"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #76 on: 13 September, 2019, 10:58:22 am »
The afternoon drama this week has the latest series of Undercover Mumbai. It's  (yet another) police procedural but set and recorded in India.

Last night in the six thirty comedy slot saw a new series of Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar. The subject of this episode was Jeremy Corbyn and the Left.
"I divide my friends into those who love and adore Jeremy Corbyn and those who are Nazi fascist shitbags.

Jacob Rees Mogg is going to have to do a show for balance."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #77 on: 28 October, 2019, 10:46:20 pm »
A new series of Tracks started today on Radio 4. It's a conspiracy theory thriller thing by Matthew Broughton and stars Romola Garai. The first three series had 45 minute episodes, but this one is down to 15 minutes,  chiz,

« Reply #78 on: 29 October, 2019, 08:36:52 am »
BBC Sounds - Tunnel 29 - It's an account of a true story about tunneling under the Berlin Wall in 1962. All 10 episodes available to listen too now. Currently being aired on Radio 4 each day. Really enjoyed it.
Garry Broad

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #79 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:13:39 pm »
Somewhere on 4 Extra there's a series called Street and Lane.  Written by Dave Sheasby and Ian McMillan (the bard of Barnsley) it's a sitcom of sorts about some jobbing builders/white van men. Sheasby and McMillan know their way around a script, which is beautifully delivered by the fantastically named Fine Time Fontayne (previously heard in Sheasby and McMillan's "The Blackburn Files") and Nick Lane.

Series 2 is running now. Nick Lane has been replaced by Shaun Dooley, which makes it easier for me to differentiate between the various Norvern Monkey Yorkshire accents.  I really heart Ian McMillan's writing.

Ob. Trivia: Shaun Dooley is involved, in a producery kind of way, with "Got It Covered" an album of cover versions by unexpected performers, out now as part of Children in Need.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #80 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:24:13 pm »
Sunday, when I was out riding alongside the Veteran Car Run, saw a production of Genevieve on 4 Extra.  I've not heard it yet, but have it downloaded ready for later consumption.

Robert Bathurst and Samantha Bond are in the cast.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #81 on: 23 December, 2019, 10:27:17 pm »
Ooh! I see that there's a dramatisation of "Puckoon" by Spine Milligna, the well known spelling mistake, on Radio 4, Saturday 28th.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #82 on: 24 December, 2019, 01:10:48 am »
Ooh.  Thanks Tim.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #83 on: 28 December, 2019, 12:32:51 pm »
Scattered around 4 Extra at the moment are various James Bond stories. Toby Stephens plays Bond and the narrator/Ian Fleming is Martin Jarvis.

Meanwhile, in the Book at Bedtime a d 12-noon-slot-that-thankfully-shortens-You-andYours is Phillip Pullman's "The Secret Commonwealth".  It's  the sequel to "Book of Dust" which was broadcast last year and repeated a week or so back.

Finally Esther, there's a serialisation of Clive James "Unreliable Memoirs" starting Monday at 0945.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #84 on: 04 January, 2020, 06:15:04 pm »
Series 2 of the marvelous "On The Hour" is getting an airing on Monday evenings on 4 Extra.  Episode 1 went out earlier this week.

"Such is politics. It's a painful business"

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #85 on: 18 January, 2020, 05:48:09 pm »
A dramatisation of Animal Farm was on Radio 4 this afternoon, as part of "The Real George Orwell" series. It was on a few years ago but worth a listen. In a colliding of worlds moment, the narrator is Tamsin Greig, close friend of Debbie Aldridge, off of The Archers.

In the just gone noon slot and book at bedtime of the week just gone was Tim McInnerny reading Orwell's "Coming up for Air"

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #86 on: 02 February, 2020, 07:33:19 pm »
The Skewer is on Radio 4 at the moment. From the depths of John Holmes' mind, it's a different review of the past week's news.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #87 on: 03 February, 2020, 07:21:57 am »
The Skewer is on Radio 4 at the moment. From the depths of John Holmes' mind, it's a different review of the past week's news.
Always good  :thumbsup: I would never have guessed john Holmes would do something like this.

Mind you, yesterday's was well grim - he's clearly not feeling positive about Br***t! Hopefully something will cheer him up in this week's news ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #88 on: 03 February, 2020, 10:23:59 am »
I was glad to see Rebecca Front won a BBC Audio Drama Award for her acting in Love and Recovery on Radio 4. Its one of my favourites.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #89 on: 22 February, 2020, 06:45:19 pm »
This afternoon on Radio 4 was an excellent adaptation of Kipling's "The Man Who Would Be King". It was broadcast last year too, but it was nice to find as I was out for a pootle.

The dramatisation is by Mike Walker, who also did the dramatisation of Vasily Grossman's Staligrad and Life and Fate. Staligrad is still available to Listen Again.

This evening on 4 Extra is a reworking of The Kraken Wakes, with Tamsin Greig off of The Archers. This too has been broadcast before but it is Very Good.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #90 on: 17 March, 2020, 10:45:59 am »
Balding midfield maestro, Ricky Lenin graces the airwaves on Radio 4 Extra some time in the mornings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00c8ygy

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #91 on: 19 March, 2020, 08:54:09 am »
One* of the finest voices on the wireless, Anton Lesser, reads the third part of Hilary Mantel's trilogy of Tudor pltoting, goings on and scheming, The Mirror and The Light. 12:00 and again at 22:45, Radio 4.

* other contenders, IMHO are Sam Dale, who tries to hide his slightly breathy delivery in many Radio 4 dramas and Barbara Flynn, who I could listen to reading a phone book. All day.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #92 on: 19 March, 2020, 01:42:22 pm »
(Recalls Barbara Flynn in "A Very Peculiar Practice"; has moment)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #93 on: 19 March, 2020, 02:25:30 pm »
World Radio Map

http://worldradiomap.com/map/

A map of the world. Click on a location and it lists all the radio stations that are streaming from that location. Click on one and listen to it.
You fancy an FM station from Dar es Salaam, fill your boots there are about thirty.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #94 on: 19 March, 2020, 06:35:40 pm »
I have The Beiderbecke Affair nestling on my Raspberry Pi. Self Isolation holds no fears for me.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #95 on: 19 March, 2020, 06:51:31 pm »
I have The Beiderbecke Affair nestling on my Raspberry Pi. Self Isolation holds no fears for me.

The car chase in the Beiderbecke Affair went past the house I used to live in (although admittedly it was some years after the series was filmed that I lived there, as a penniless student oaf).

Average-size Jill Swinburne had an, ahem, formative influence on my teenage years. As did Rose Marie.

<wistful sigh>

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the Mantel - though I'm undecided whether to listen to it before I've read the book...

On the subject of A Very Peculiar Practice, it's a bit odd to think that Bob Buzzard and Tony Archer are the same person.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #96 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:59:52 am »
D.I.Discs today(on 7), a repeat of the excellent Alison Moyet.

One of the best music selections ever!

And I bet no-one guesses her book choice ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #97 on: 22 March, 2020, 02:26:04 pm »
D.I.Discs today(on 7), a repeat of the excellent Alison Moyet.

One of the best music selections ever!

And I bet no-one guesses her book choice ...
Get with beat, Daddio. 7 is 4  Extra these days. But, yes, an excellent edition of thd the programme. Good book choice too. I'm sure Roy Plomley wouldn't have allowed her choice of luxury ( a bath), as she gave a list of practical uses ( shelter etc) for it. Mind you,Lauren Laverne allowed a grand piano as Helena Morrissey's luxury on the Radio 4 version today. Standards are slipping.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #98 on: 22 March, 2020, 06:46:46 pm »
It's on Preset 7 on all our DABs, so it shall ever be thus known  ;D

(Is Radio 5 still going?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #99 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:30:46 pm »
It's on Preset 7 on all our DABs, so it shall ever be thus known  ;D

(Is Radio 5 still going?)

I'm not sure. I fairly certain The Light Programme has bitten the dust though while the status of Hilversum is confusing.