Author Topic: I've come to a conclusion  (Read 6714 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: I've come to a conclusion
« Reply #25 on: 29 June, 2023, 09:19:07 am »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 29 June, 2023, 10:34:05 am »
Gagh and, moreover, mierda.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #27 on: 30 June, 2023, 06:49:23 pm »
Bit of gaffa tape, right as rain.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #28 on: 30 June, 2023, 07:02:08 pm »
What model is that?
I know little about the Cruzbike, but are those [what would normally be called] chain stays, carbon blades?
If they are, the design looks like it could take some flexibility to act as some kind of cushioning suspension effect?
Again, if so, that puts an enormous amount of stress on the rigid seat stays....which is why I'm assuming one of them has fractured.
Lots of guessing there!
Garry Broad

« Reply #29 on: 30 June, 2023, 08:16:52 pm »
Think it’s the Silvio, a long discontinued model

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30 on: 30 June, 2023, 08:29:33 pm »
Yes, the new model S40 is rigid framed, but quite springy such that on a good downhill if you hit a compresion, you can get launched off the other end like a downhill skier
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #31 on: 28 July, 2023, 11:10:51 pm »
I always rather like the Silvio or S30 as some variations we wont to be known. But I've an S40 because a new-ish and very well fettled second hand one popped up when I was looking.

My fix might be to insert a steel (maybe solid?) tube into said broken seatstay and then either grub screw or actually drill and tap some screws into both ends. Adds weight but strengthens the fragile part. I've had alu welding done on an old car, but it just doesn't feel a great idea on something so thin and structural.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #32 on: 21 October, 2023, 02:46:11 am »
The trike idea is ideal for all year riding all year round..there's a motorcycle protective spray that's available for stopping road salt damage. Trikes are superb for towing trailers and cycle camping.  They are slower uphill than there 2 wheel equivalents but I find that not having to worry about balance means I see more when touring. They can also be raced . And of course comfort, comfort, comfort   :)
       Cycleman (ye who turned me to the Dark Side)  Absolutely, my Sprint 26 NT is a sort of in the middle machine (as I see it anyway) you can lob panniers on it for the veg market, you can load it for touring (Brittany, Catalonia etc) and you can just leave it unencumbered to have a play, I/we ride ours on road and on NCN off road routes so it seems to cover it all, Touring on the trikes up in Settle in the lbs  I saw a beautifully lustful Bianchi mountain bike and said to the guy behind the counter "I'll be in with a deposit tomorrow", later that day coming back from the Ribblehead Viaduct down a steep incline at 40mph plus I hit the cobbles and aviated. To pub when back at the guest house and thought "Hmmn, if I'd been on that Bianchi" ! so I am still firmly in the Dark Side
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #33 on: 21 October, 2023, 02:51:37 am »
Audaxing on a trike would be very hard.

I read a report on someone that did PBP on a Trice Micro, seemed to hammer a lot of upwrongs, I have ridden one (only to find the seller hadn't checked before delivering hence I returned) and it is a superb machine there are (almost) modern equivalents
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #34 on: 21 October, 2023, 08:39:08 am »
That was PeterM OTP taking a couple of Trices round PBP a couple of decades ago and the PBP route has become somewhat hillier since then. He has swapped back to upright bikes in the meantime.

HK has a Trice Micro and has done several brevets on it (and several on other cycles). TTers consider that upright trikes are 10-12% slower than upright bikes and I suspect a similar speed difference between recumbent bikes and trikes with the same body position.

IMHO, if you want to ride a recumbent trike for a brevet, fast tyres are a must and you should take advantage of a recumbent’s more comfortable position by spending less time stopped. Picking a recumbent that climbs well tilts the odds in your favour.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #35 on: 21 October, 2023, 12:57:31 pm »
I read a report on someone that did PBP on a Trice Micro
That was PeterM OTP

https://audaxdemon.co.uk/2019/06/25/paris-brest-paris-1999/
https://audaxdemon.co.uk/2019/07/31/more-treasures-from-the-digital-skip-pbp-2003/

If you like reading, then Peter writes very well. They are very much 20thCentury write-ups......ie done in the days when people liked to read as opposed to just looking at pictures.  :)

I must admit to lightly habouring a quest to having another crack at it in 2027. I'll be 68 then. It's going to take a monumental effort. We'll see how things go. Long way off [but actually....it's not really].
Garry Broad

ElyDave

« Reply #36 on: 24 October, 2023, 09:29:07 pm »
That was PeterM OTP taking a couple of Trices round PBP a couple of decades ago and the PBP route has become somewhat hillier since then. He has swapped back to upright bikes in the meantime.

HK has a Trice Micro and has done several brevets on it (and several on other cycles). TTers consider that upright trikes are 10-12% slower than upright bikes and I suspect a similar speed difference between recumbent bikes and trikes with the same body position.

IMHO, if you want to ride a recumbent trike for a brevet, fast tyres are a must and you should take advantage of a recumbent’s more comfortable position by spending less time stopped. Picking a recumbent that climbs well tilts the odds in your favour.

Absolutely this, I've certainly not suffered on my Cruzbike vs upwrongs, or at least held my own.  The main issue on climbing is if it gets a bit greasy and it can be hard to keep the grip on some recumbents.  I suspect a recumbent trike will be better in those specific circumstances.

Anyone got an ICE VTX going spare?

« Reply #37 on: 24 October, 2023, 11:05:21 pm »
Climbing on a trike you may need to weigh down the back wheel - I skid out on sharp clubs on the catrike.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ElyDave

« Reply #38 on: 25 October, 2023, 08:42:57 pm »
I find running a sprint fully rigid with 700c and slicks no problem up hill in the slippy stuff but hey don't really get ice where I live.
Slippy wet concrete is sometimes a bit awkward but just go at it with a bit of movement and it's ok.
Continental used to make a 700c Knobbly tyre that wasn't too wide but can't remember what it was called

With the Cruzbike, being FWD and MBB, it can get tricky as the front wheel is fairly lightly loaded.  I'd imagine with the ICE trikes, they are mid-read loaded, so you should be better off.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 26 October, 2023, 11:59:43 am »
RWD bike beats trike for slippery uphill traction, as there's more weight on the rear wheel, but you've got to get above stall speed in a timely manner...