Author Topic: Step-through frames  (Read 2763 times)

Re: Step-through frames
« Reply #25 on: 04 May, 2010, 07:49:41 pm »
"Don't dismiss recumbents - seriously."

I don't! I've had a couple! And I am sure that many 'bents are ideal for those with e.g. back problems. But I have none - I doubt I'd ride really quite rough off-road on a rigid if I had. No, it's just swinging a leg over the saddle that is beginning to be a bit of a chore.

It's occurred to me that adjusting my "mounting" system is a good if interim solution - especially for steeply sloping top tube but diamond frames (like my Dawes Synthesis), on which if I slghtly lean the bike I can step over the top tube rather swing over the saddle. Swopping my mtbs to smaller, more extreme, modern, frames might also work in the short term.

I do think that in the longer term true step throughs will be the way to go (and I also actually like the aesthetics of mixte frames).

I don't think I'll be going Dutch!

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

bikenerd

« Reply #26 on: 04 May, 2010, 08:41:20 pm »
Another idea that may (or may not) help you: a gravity dropper seatpost like the Crank Brother's Joplin.
You could lower the seatpost, swing the leg, then raise it.
Pricey, mind.

« Reply #27 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:24:27 pm »
Wow, that is PRICEY! A sound idea/suggestion, but I'd need a few - and new frames all round would be cheaper!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #28 on: 05 May, 2010, 07:01:32 am »
Keeping supple is the thing.

My mother (in her 70s) swears by Pilates and water aerobics.  As a crumbly, she also gets to swim for free at the local leisure centre.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor