Author Topic: Going vegetarian  (Read 4451 times)

Re: Going vegetarian
« Reply #25 on: 09 July, 2008, 03:51:32 pm »
For sandwiches: Hummous.  Refried beans (recipe on this website: Vegan Recipes - Kake's (Vegan) Cookery Site along with a bunch of other nice things).  Carrot & lentil pate (much nicer than it sounds, recipe also on that website).  Leftover curry makes excellent sandwiches :)

Nienke

« Reply #26 on: 09 July, 2008, 04:00:52 pm »
Avocado with garlic & herb cream cheese.

Or with (sundried) tomatoes and vinaigrette.

I agree very much on the curry (aubergine's great in them too), and I also like risottos as veggie dinner.

Elleigh

« Reply #27 on: 09 July, 2008, 04:14:16 pm »
Avocado with garlic & herb cream cheese.

Or with (sundried) tomatoes and vinaigrette.

Hmmm sounds lovely.  I will have to give that a try.

« Reply #28 on: 09 July, 2008, 04:18:08 pm »
Refried bean wraps are scrummy
I like feta salad pittas
hummus and pittas
tortilla

« Reply #29 on: 09 July, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »
Mushroom sandwich   with thanks to Rosamund Richardson.the great vegetarian cookbook.(publisher used no capital letters)

Slice mushrooms and microwave.(Steaming)for couple of minutes.Pat dry.Cool.
Ricotta cheese or vegan alternative on granary bread then load the mushrooms.I add rocket or land cress from the garden.S+P.
Then the other slice of bread.

Sounds wierd but good can't be arsed to cook food.

N

Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #30 on: 11 July, 2008, 06:27:50 pm »
A sandwich of

bread
marmite
watercress
veggie sausages

or a salad of cooked pearl barley (cooked with bouillon powder in the water), salad leaves, chopped onion, avocado, peas, radish and pumpkin seeds, topped with the oil of your choice (pumpkin seed rather than WD40) and lemon juice.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Nienke

« Reply #31 on: 11 July, 2008, 06:32:09 pm »
Ooh! That reminds me of couscous salad. Make couscous, let cool, chuck in whatever takes your fancy, such as feta cheese, avocado, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, raisins, cashew nuts, spinach and a load of herbs and spices of your choice. Very good summer lunch.

goatpebble

« Reply #32 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:21:02 pm »
*waits for goatpebble to happen along, who will probably have an idea of something Mediterranean and delicious to delight the palate*  :)

That'a very kind, but now I have to live up to my reputation!

This thread is timely, because I have stopped eating meat. Not having a kitchen meant I was buying nice fresh bread and too much salami and meaty things. My weight shot up, and I now have a wobbly alien belt of fat around my middle. Not nice, and not healthy.

So, this week I have been playing with the Remoska. A supper of six different roasted vegetables, and the same served cold as a packed lunch. Potato, green pepper, courgettes, leeks, tomato, garlic shavings, and a huge handful of parsley. Everything just sliced thin and layered in the pan, some olive oil, and just left to cook away in it's own juices.

A few nights ago, I had a huge bag of peppers to play with. I roasted all the red ones, and had pitta stuffed with feta, roast pepper, black olives, and flat leaf parsley, for lunch.

The next thing I did was green peppers stuffed with wild thyme and goat cheese. This was so bloody easy it was silly!

If you are a sandwich person, then a layer of sweet roast pepper add richness, sweetness, and moisture to all the bread stuff. A useful thing to remember.

Don't forget tasty things like olives. A few slivers can sharpen up the flavour of everything else. Try a simple salad of tomato, black olives, fresh thyme, butter beans, and tomato, dressed with a good olive oil.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:07:46 pm »
I knew you'd come through! :) :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #34 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:10:27 pm »
Ooh, I forgot my favourite sandwiches: Marmite and nut sandwiches. :P Yum yum yum. I like cashews, but flaked anything works.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Pete

« Reply #35 on: 12 July, 2008, 12:00:23 pm »
Here's a couscous salad, on the lines of Nienke's suggestion.  Serves about four, generous portions.

10oz couscous.
1 pint vegetable stock (yes we use veggie stock cubes/granules!  Small luxuries!  French court bouillon works well).
1 red onion (use an ordinary white onion if you don't have red).
2 cloves garlic.
1 heaped tsp ground cumin.
½ tsp ground turmeric.
2 large fresh tomatoes.
½ red pepper.
Good handful chopped parsley.
A few fresh mint or basil (or both) leaves, chopped.
Olive oil.
1-2 green or red chillis, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
grated lemon rind.
Salt and pepper.
juice of ½ lemon.
Handful of cashew nuts or pine nuts.

Chop the onion finely, crush the garlic with salt, fry these in a little olive oil until tender.  Add the cumin and turmeric and fry gently for 1 minute more.
Add the hot stock and bring to boiling.  Remove from heat.  Pour in the couscous, give everything a quick stir, then leave to stand for about 10 minutes.
Finely chop the tomatoes, the red pepper, and all the herbs.  Seed and finely chop the chillies.  Lightly roast the nuts.  Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, leave to cool, and serve with lettuce leaves.