Author Topic: Billy No Mates  (Read 5686 times)

Ade O

Billy No Mates
« on: 14 February, 2011, 04:54:45 pm »
So I've been Audaxing for a year now doing a few 200's picking up a few tips from people I've met along the way and I've even joined a club for company on the weekend.  Trouble is no-one in the club is into Audax so the long run is a solo effort with Billy No Mates at the coffee stop.
I want to move up to 400 & even 600 and am looking for a club or group in the S / S.E. Wales area, maybe Cardiff Byways?  Any ideas ...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Billy No Mates
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »
You'll probably find this useful:

Who from Sth Wales is aiming for PBP 2011 ?

(some of the posters are doing rides other than PBP!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2011, 05:45:09 pm »
Don't worry. We've been watching you closely. We are still undecided.

:demon:

« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2011, 07:07:52 pm »
When I started I wasn't a member of a cycling club, nor did I know anyone else that did Audaxes. 4 years later and I'm still not a member of a cycling club, but there are now at least 4 people I count as friends people I see on Audaxes regularly.

Seriously though, the more of them you do the more people you'll bump into again and again. Not being tied down to having to ride with a certain group of friends can actually be useful.

I have no problems entering a ride where I don't think I'll know anyone.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2011, 07:43:45 pm »
I'm an on-off Abergavenny RC member (2-3 of us doing audax and only me regularly/geekily) and apart from Cardiff Byways and the sponsoring club generally a max one club rider is represented at each Welsh event. It's not a disadvantage to me as a former time-trialist, being anti-social and miserable reminds me of being young and fit  :thumbsup:

trixie

« Reply #5 on: 14 February, 2011, 07:55:43 pm »
I agree with Greenbank - it can be better to ride independently.  I've been audaxing for about two years and nearly always ride alone - I like to follow the routesheet myself rather than follow someone else, I enjoy the freedom of being able to ride at my own pace, stopping as I wish, walking if I want to, staying for as little or long as I like at a controls.

I never feel totally alone.  It's good when others pass by and chat for a while..but not too long.  There are normally riders I can see in front of me...and may be one or two behind.  It's at controls where I get a chance to have a relaxed chat with others ...over a cup of tea or coffee...and then head out, as and when I am ready.  

In this way I am in control, making the ride my own - rather than becoming a part of someone else's.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 14 February, 2011, 08:10:10 pm »
On an audax I tend to start in a group & gradually work my to the back so do a lot of solo miles.There is still a comaradarie(sp) at contols & the end.
Only once have I remained in a group on an audax & that gradually got whittled down from a dozen to me+1 at the end.

One of the reasons I enjoy yacf rides is that the group stay together or re-form frequently.It's a novelty for me to have company all the time.

It's all enjoyable.

As said upthread,the more audax rides you attend, the more your circle of cycling acquantances will expand.

« Reply #7 on: 14 February, 2011, 08:17:54 pm »
Cardiff Bys are a good bunch. I have no idea what their membership policy is though. FWIW I started Audaxing independently then was invited to join a club.

If you want company on long rides, ask here. There are plenty of friendless people on here too.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8 on: 14 February, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »
There are plenty of friendless people on here too.

;D

perhaps a Lonely Hearts thread is needed ;D

« Reply #9 on: 14 February, 2011, 08:21:27 pm »
It's what this thread is, isn't it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 14 February, 2011, 09:58:46 pm »
You know, Mr N, ever since our eyes met over Manotea's kitchen counter I've been meaning to say something to you - something I don't say to every Audaxer I meet.

Maybe today is the right day?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ade O

« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2011, 05:52:18 pm »
So we're all Billy No Mates whew what a relief!  I must admit I do like the 'challenge' of sorting out mechanical problems, battling against the weather and working out where the hell I am.  Still like to have someone to moan to occasionally though. :P

« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2011, 06:05:16 pm »
Wearing a bit of YACF kit is a good way to strike up conversation. Many of the more sociable riders are to be found here.

« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2011, 06:10:12 pm »
I think the problem was that so far this year the yacf gear has been covered up by waterproofs in an attempt to stay warm or dry  ;)
We may have met, ride a Black mercian with silver letteringand quite tall.....What have you ridden?

« Reply #14 on: 16 February, 2011, 12:05:20 pm »
Wearing a bit of YACF kit is a good way to strike up conversation. Many of the more sociable riders are to be found here.

I wore a YACF top on my first (and currently only) calendar event. I was stood in the Mildenhall access road when a Scottish lady asked me who I was on the forum. When I gave my screen name, she announced "Oh I don't know you" and walked off. This felt like the perfect introduction to audaxing.

Happily, Arabella and Boab subsequently introduced themselves.

« Reply #15 on: 16 February, 2011, 12:10:01 pm »
a Scottish lady asked me who I was on the forum. When I gave my screen name, she announced "Oh I don't know you" and walked off. This felt like the perfect introduction to audaxing.

That's odd.  The same thing always happens to me too

;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #16 on: 16 February, 2011, 12:12:39 pm »

'More sociable'?  I thought it was all the riders without any friends IRL  :P

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 16 February, 2011, 12:14:32 pm »
Extrapolation, my dear boy.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #18 on: 16 February, 2011, 12:21:18 pm »
a Scottish lady asked me who I was on the forum. When I gave my screen name, she announced "Oh I don't know you" and walked off. This felt like the perfect introduction to audaxing.

That's odd.  The same thing always happens to me too

;D

Ural, I suggest you use a black laundry pen to write your forum name in big bold letters in the white space above the YACF logo. You will then be assured that everybody knows what a friendly sociable fellow you are.

« Reply #19 on: 16 February, 2011, 12:23:37 pm »
Deep down, they already know it
 ;)

« Reply #20 on: 19 February, 2011, 10:53:16 am »
The YACF jersey is a good way of meeting people. But also, moving up to the 400k+ events helps. Not from any elitist point of view, but simply that with smaller fields you'll see and meet the same hardcore of people over and over, rather than the massive crowds at 200k rides.

And after a few years, you'll make eye contact with them.
And sometime later maybe they'll acknowledge your comment on the weather  :)

No-one in my cycling club rides Audax. Only one forum member (that I know of) lives very close to me. And he's normally off riding around Europe collecting 1000km+ rides in the summer. But now whenever I turn up to events I'm pretty much assured to know at least a handful of people - and it's only three years since I started Audaxing.