Author Topic: The Zev thread (was "Anybody want a kitten?")  (Read 109571 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The Zev thread (was "Anybody want a kitten?")
« on: 01 August, 2011, 06:30:23 pm »
http://twitpic.com/5zfk4r

We cornered him by a skip, and barakta managed to grab him.

He's currently in the bath nomming a slice of chicken and some lacto-free milk like he hasn't eaten for a week.

We're not sure what to do next.  No, we can't keep him.   :'(

(I say 'him', he's not cooperative enough for me to tell.)

Re: Just caught the little fella...
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2011, 07:16:52 pm »
Arrange a kitty-time-share with the neighbours, so you only have to look after him/her/it one afternoon each week?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2011, 07:20:02 pm »
19:00ish update:
Kim has managed to make friends with wee kitten to the point where he's letting her stroke him and PURRING really loudly. 

Kim phoned cat rescue and left a message as we can't keep him more than a day or so really.  Hopefully they'll give us advice as we have no cat carrier or transport. 

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2011, 07:59:20 pm »
Do I recall correctly that the reason you can't keep him is to do with tenancy contracts? Easy answer - move!  ;)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:04:45 pm »
SQUEEE!

Also, it's only wee, like a hamster.  Your landlord will never know.   :demon:

(or, your landlord might say it's okay, if you ask and show SQUEEpix)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:26:24 pm »
If the landlord's okay then we'll have to move in a year or two and won't be able to find anywhere to live because we have a cat :(

I think it's a female.  It's not entirely clear at this age, and black fur doesn't help.

We're happy to look after her for a little while, but she needs a proper home.  I called the local cats protection helpline (who were helpful with kitten-care advice), but I get the feeling they're up to their eyeballs in kittens and might not be able to take her.  They said if I knew anyone who would want her, that would be great...

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
Re: Anybody want a kitten?
« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:33:43 pm »
Kawaiiiiii :)

Sadly I'd be sneezing my face off, and I'm sure the landlord would chuck us out if he knew about my bike habit, let alone added kittens :(

Good luck, hope that someone can take them off your hand.

« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:39:35 pm »
Another Squeeeee !     Would love a kitteh but I'm on the top floor and am out all day so it wouldn't really be fair on the 'ickle blighter.  I'd be terrified of it getting onto an outside window ledge, or worse, the roof !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:50:38 pm »
I think that you got yourself a kitten, time to buy a basket and some food!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:53:17 pm »
Another Squeeeee !     Would love a kitteh but I'm on the top floor and am out all day so it wouldn't really be fair on the 'ickle blighter.  I'd be terrified of it getting onto an outside window ledge, or worse, the roof !

Alas, snap...

Also slightly allergic, but I won't let that stop me if it becomes an option in the future.

Squeeeeeeee, indeed.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:56:28 pm »
Minky would go absolutely batshit, otherwise we would. :( Though I'm of the opinion that she'd be worth the hassle of finding accomodation with pets. :demon:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:57:54 pm »
Squeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calling TimO........ kitteh with your name on it I think....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 01 August, 2011, 09:02:04 pm »
Calling TimO........ kitteh with your name on it I think....

The idea did occur to me...

« Reply #14 on: 01 August, 2011, 09:40:30 pm »
Awww, what a sweetie!

Clarion has vetoed it coming to us :(.

Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #15 on: 01 August, 2011, 10:31:20 pm »
Balshammaroth and Nyarlathotep need a delicious tasty minion...  :demon:

(also: renting plus cat is a total mare and the only reason I own. insert rant about rubbish UK landlords here...)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:02:17 pm »
*SQUEEEEEEEEE*

:D

I'm trying very hard to suppress the urge to make Julian drive me to Birmingham RIGHT NOW with our cat basket and a supply of kitteh blankets.

Balshammaroth and Nyarlathotep need a delicious tasty minion...  :demon:

Little Bartimaeus and K'ril Tsutsaroth (or whatever the hell their demonic names are right now) would probably eat it for a crunchy little snack prior to their midday snooze.

TimO needs this kitteh...  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:05:58 pm »
Let me have a word with Lyn
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:16:05 pm »
She's perked up a fair bit with food (and, I suspect more importantly, fluid).  No longer twitchy about being touched, enjoys being scritched on the head and even indulged in a half-arsed game of kill-the-shoelace.  She has also demonstrated a rudimentary understanding of the point of cat litter.  She's now a tired looking yawny kitteh and we've left her alone in the hope she snoozes.

(Can't beat a black cat in a white bath for making you wish you had a proper camera)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #19 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:17:33 pm »
Awwwwwwwww she's adorable.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #20 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:18:20 pm »
Is london too far to travel for her? We've got a kitty backpack carrier. Whereabouts in Brum are you?

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #21 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:28:24 pm »
In an effort to converge two cat related threads, I suggest gluing lots of industrial diamonds to the kitten before firing it through the glass door.

« Reply #22 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:31:05 pm »
I've just been pointed at this thread, and it looks like I may be competing with Sam, and I don't have his Mojo. :o

I will say that you probably want to drive to Brum Sam, a kitten is not likely to stay that clean for the journey time from Birmingham to London, so you really wouldn't want to take it on a train.

With a car you can carry newspapers, and spare sleeping stuff (towels etc) that can easily be cleaned, because I suspect that they'll almost certainly need to be!

What's the panels opinion on a kitten that young?  I work all day, so would have to go to work and leave the kitten to itself during the day.  I've got a spare bedroom that I won't worry too much about accidents occurring in, since there's no way the kitten could have free roaming of the house when I'm not around.  There are far too many ways to come unstuck when they're that young, and doing the cat curiosity thing.

I think at that age they are weaning, so can probably survive eating solid cat food, although I can obviously check that with the vet and the local cat bods (the woman in the cattery that Talisker used, is a bod in Croydon Animal Samaritans).  I believe that generally at that age they're on some solid food, and some of mum's milk still, but I'm not an expert by a long shot.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #23 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:34:14 pm »
TimO - ours were ~8 weeks when we got them & we were both out of the house all day. They survived (and so did we).

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 01 August, 2011, 11:34:47 pm »
If Kim and Barakta can hang onto the kitteh for a few weeks, it'll be old enough to travel more easily and you'll be able to leave it for a little while each day when you go to work.

Ours were 16 weeks when we got them and the Battersea chaps said that for the first few weeks, I'd have to come home at lunchtime to see them, which I did.

Just sayin'...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk