Author Topic: Cats Ears/Wind Blox  (Read 3917 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Cats Ears/Wind Blox
« on: 22 November, 2020, 10:53:23 pm »
Has anyone found somewhere selling the furry helmet strap add ons that reduce wind noise and go by one of the two names of the subject that aren't at a ridiculous markup?

I'm sure the pair I have I bought from the Netherlands but can't find details to see if I can still get them from there before its too late.

The alternative seems to have been to import from the USA via Amazon, but Amazon now don't seem to be allowing that

I don't like the idea of the shell like ones, my next option is to Pirate.

Re: Cats Ears/Wind Blox
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2020, 11:32:58 pm »
I think you just have to grow extensive sideburns, no?

« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2020, 06:48:08 am »
As i wear hearing aids I looked at getting these too. After reading the reviews and the difficulty of getting them I decided to make my own.

I used some small foam cut outs that make a pouch for my hearing aid to sit in, Great at reducing wind noise for me.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2020, 12:26:54 pm »
As i wear hearing aids I looked at getting these too. After reading the reviews and the difficulty of getting them I decided to make my own.

I used some small foam cut outs that make a pouch for my hearing aid to sit in, Great at reducing wind noise for me.

When I cycle with barakta, we use her radio aid system with the transmitter under a jersey (usually mine, to improve SNR while riding along, but she'll stick it under her own to talk to other people at stops) to reduce wind noise.  Works well enough that she once complained about strange FM radio interference that we eventually determined to be the sound of leaves rustling in the trees.  A sound that she'd never heard before, because if there was enough wind to rustle leaves, it would swamp her hearing aid's microphone.

Anyway, a technique that's worth considering if you  a) already have such gadgetry for other reasons  and  b) can live with the battery life, which tends to make the average Garmin Edge look decent.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2020, 05:06:22 pm »
I bought a pair of Cats Ears from the US about 5 years ago and I think they were about £12 delivered - now seems a lot more for shipping.  (I had the Standard type - that they did in different styles then - Elvis  8) for me rather than Silver Fox which would be more in keeping.

One of our club members made quite a few sets for the members of a tour - fur fabric and some Velcro strips sewn on (you could probably hot-glue the velcro?) - just wraps around the helmet straps - simples.

They really do work, I wear mine all the time and they reduce wind noise dramatically as well as keeping the ears slightly warmer -and enabling you to hear traffic.  Of course the headphone users and no-helmet riders may have a problem ...  :demon:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 23 November, 2020, 06:49:14 pm »
yeah I'm actually too lazy to pirate...
I've got a pair already I could copy; in fact If I went to one of the various textile shops in Dundee I could probably have got them to make them.

After much battering head off keyboard I discovered that they're sold on Desertcart for ~22 quid with a £5 delivery fee and customs/vat paid for not too bad a price.
I also eventually discovered I could have ordered them from Cats-ears themselves for $15 a pair and $15 delivery but been liable for customs and VAT and royal mail fees...

So I'm trying the former having ordered 2 pairs; £50 through paypal.

Will see what happens...

« Reply #6 on: 23 November, 2020, 09:26:05 pm »
That's daylight robbery. For all my piss taking I'd sew you up a pair in whatever fake fur I have in my scraps box for the price of postage.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2020, 09:29:43 pm »
That's daylight robbery. For all my piss taking I'd sew you up a pair in whatever fake fur I have in my scraps box for the price of postage.

Having first taken the necessary steps[1] to ensure there's a sufficiency of hot pink leopard print fur in the scraps box?   ;D

[1] Probably in the direction of Newcastle, if not Essex.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2020, 09:49:59 pm »
Wow! I'd start wearing a helmet if it meant I could have hot pink leopard fur cat ears!

Not actually that keen on animal skin prints generally but hey...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 23 November, 2020, 09:52:12 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2020, 09:56:08 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 23 November, 2020, 11:15:37 pm »
I think you just have to grow extensive sideburns, no?

Missed this earlier!!!!
Having not been for a hair cut in almost a year now, you'd think I might be resembling a 70s footballer, unfortunately my hair seems to be getting thinner and wiry rather than thick and wind blockery.

Also...
Damn I wished I'd seen this
Will tiger print do?

Before I hit buy!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12 on: 23 November, 2020, 11:24:39 pm »
Will tiger print do?

The club group ears I mentioned  were leopardskin fur fabric - looked great!

I have 2 helmets - one yellow and one red - I'm tempted to ask my friend/clubmate if she would make me red pair - the Elvis black look great on yellow helmet.