Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624688 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4025 on: 27 October, 2013, 11:52:44 am »
Dear plague of spiders, harvestmen, daddy long legs or whatever the flip you are, stop covering the igloo in sodding cobwebs! I know it's not on the front page of ideal home magazine but gimme a break....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4026 on: 27 October, 2013, 11:54:30 am »
It won't be ahrvestmen or daddy long legs spinning webs..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4027 on: 27 October, 2013, 12:28:53 pm »
I know. There are spiders that *look* a bit like harvestmen that are though.
And there is a plague of DLL all sitting on the walls of our wash house. Hunners of 'em.

« Reply #4028 on: 27 October, 2013, 12:44:34 pm »
And there is a plague of DLL all sitting on the walls of our wash house. Hunners of 'em.

These?

http://www.findaspider.org.au/find/spiders/508.htm
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4029 on: 27 October, 2013, 01:48:21 pm »
Bugger. Came in here to grumble about something, read a couple of others and forgot what it was.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4030 on: 27 October, 2013, 02:05:52 pm »

These?!!

http://www.findaspider.org.au/find/spiders/508.htm

Well, OK, this grumble is not made any easier by the fact there is a daddy long legs spider and there is the crane fly, which flies, is not a spider and is also called a daddy long legs.
We have a plague of crane flies or similar outside. We have a plague of other creatures with several legs indoors which are conspiring to make my abode look a bit too authentically Hallowe'en witches cottage. Clear as mud :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4031 on: 27 October, 2013, 02:12:37 pm »
Well, OK, this grumble is not made any easier by the fact there is a daddy long legs spider and there is the crane fly, which flies, is not a spider and is also called a daddy long legs.

I only discovered this relatively recently, having spent my life knowing crane flies as "daddy longlegses", and spiders as, well, spiders (as in "tiny little spider", "big hairy spider", "evil jumping spider", "spherical spider of uniform density" and so on).

I get the impression that leftpondians never use "daddy longlegs" for anything other than the spiders, which adds to the confusion.

On a related note:  Wood lice.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4032 on: 27 October, 2013, 02:12:44 pm »
We have a plague of crane flies or similar outside.
Same here - the recent damp weather means there's been a veritable population explosion.

Fortunately, they're not really very good fliers so are fairly easy to catch and remove from the premises in an humane manner.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4033 on: 27 October, 2013, 02:45:13 pm »
Who thought it was a good idea to position my washing-machine's filter in a place that you cannot get anything under it to catch the water, and then have a failure mode where it stops and beeps at you with the water still in the machine until it's sorted?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4034 on: 27 October, 2013, 02:48:24 pm »
Who thought it was a good idea to position my washing-machine's filter in a place that you cannot get anything under it to catch the water, and then have a failure mode where it stops and beeps at you with the water still in the machine until it's sorted?

A frustrated engineer.

xkcd://277 refers.

« Reply #4035 on: 27 October, 2013, 02:50:16 pm »
This is probably "bad news" but I couldn't find the thread...
Our local butcher used to serve mostly organic or something along those lines and knew where it had come from. Nice and fresh, would cut you what you needed if it wasn't on display. Friendly chap and very convenient.
A couple of weeks ago it changed hands. Now there are no claims of anything to do with welfare or provenance now and quite a lot of vacuum packed.
I'm rather underwhelmed.

I thought this was standard design?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4036 on: 27 October, 2013, 03:43:32 pm »
As usual here on a Sunday, the Internet is almost unusably slow.  Even Classic FM won't stream at a crappy 48k or whatever.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4037 on: 28 October, 2013, 10:22:49 am »
Gar!  I feel dreadful.
I felt like I was developing a cold at the end of last week, so I suppose that cycling slowly along a canal in the middle of the night in the pouring rain wasn't clever.
I managed to cycle in to work, mainly because I'm mostly on auto pilot first thing in the morning, but I now feel that there is no way I'm going to be able to ride home again.  Head is feeling all spacey plus shivers.
Bugger!  I'm really not keen on leaving my bike here over night.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4038 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:41:41 pm »
oh dear  :(, gws basil. :)
the slower you go the more you see

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4039 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:57:21 pm »
No probs.  A restful day at a civil servant's desk and I recovered enough for the ride. 
Going to bed now though.

« Reply #4040 on: 28 October, 2013, 08:18:58 pm »
Hmmm .... I've been feeling medium crap as well today.   Not sure if it was sitting in damp sweaty clothes for the train ride back on Saturday or being exposed to my coughing, spluttering family on Sunday.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4041 on: 28 October, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »
Me too.

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #4042 on: 28 October, 2013, 09:13:11 pm »
It's at the lowest point of the system.

I have my washing machine on a couple of 3x2 battens so it is 3" off the floor.  It allows me to get a bowl under the filter. 
Not much good if your machine in under a kitchen worktop though.

When I remodel the utility room to take the dishwasher and some cupboards I think I will raise the worktop in there so the WM can still be on battens, maybe the dishwasher too so they match.

David Martin

« Reply #4043 on: 28 October, 2013, 09:48:21 pm »
When I remodel the utility room the washing machine and tumble drier will be at low bench height - plenty of space underneath to store trugs etc. and able to load/unload without bending down. And drainage would not be a problem.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4044 on: 28 October, 2013, 09:58:37 pm »
My Miele washing machine has its filter about three inches above the bottom of the machine. It's standing on a one inch thick piece of plywood so there's room for quite a large drip tray, should the need arise.
But it's a Miele...

David Martin

« Reply #4045 on: 28 October, 2013, 10:02:52 pm »
My Miele dishwasher is held together by zip ties. But then again it is over 10 years old and does get a heavy workload.

« Reply #4046 on: 28 October, 2013, 10:04:48 pm »
Some machines actually have a wee rubber drain hose - only a few inches long, but that's enough.

Our rather elderly Tricity Bendix has an outlet that's just high enough to get a big roasting tin under. I try not to do that if my wife's watching.

As for lifespan, I thought Mieles were designed (though not guaranteed) for a twenty-year life.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4047 on: 29 October, 2013, 09:26:38 am »
My mother's late 70s Hoover washing machine lasted 25 years. The Bosch that finally replaced it lasted less than ten.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4048 on: 29 October, 2013, 11:17:28 am »
Lurgy.  Fuck off.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4049 on: 29 October, 2013, 12:00:17 pm »