Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624452 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4925 on: 24 June, 2014, 09:47:21 pm »
Unfortunately they are a protected species (not sure why, there's millions of the things)

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/gulls/thelaw.aspx
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4926 on: 24 June, 2014, 09:49:38 pm »
It appears to be peak seagull season.  The bastards are nesting on our flat roof again & dive bombing passers by. Rather noisy  >:(

Exam season, innit?  Amorous seagulls on the roof of the sports hall were the only distraction we had from the sniffling of hayfever sufferers during exams.  (Or alternatively, if you timed it right, the noise of a seagull fight could be used to mask a good snort.)

« Reply #4927 on: 24 June, 2014, 09:54:07 pm »
Unfortunately they are a protected species (not sure why, there's millions of the things)

I wonder if they are protected not because they are endangered but because they soon would be if they weren't under protection?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #4928 on: 24 June, 2014, 09:55:41 pm »
Forget the AA12 , we need these .....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQDy-5IQvuU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HQDy-5IQvuU&rel=1</a>
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4929 on: 24 June, 2014, 10:00:29 pm »
I'm assuming the location rules out taking off and nuking them from orbit? :)

« Reply #4930 on: 24 June, 2014, 10:02:25 pm »
I'm assuming the location rules out taking off and nuking them from orbit? :)

I've just paid a £250 surcharge on my service charge for repairs to the roof..... >:(    I don't think our insurance covers orbital bombardment....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #4931 on: 24 June, 2014, 10:58:09 pm »

Have you tried reasoning with them? I had an issue with crows trying to use my head as some kind of corvid landing pad. It was settled over a chat in the park. I exchanged a falafel sandwich for a lifelong crow armistice. Magpies were annoyed to find out they were included in the agreement, but it's binding. They don't have to like it. Gulls, I'm not sure, but I'd be open to sandwich or other snack-based negotiations.

I also signed an agreement with bees and wasps when I was six. They've never, ever stung me.

« Reply #4932 on: 25 June, 2014, 09:38:54 am »
*shudders at all this bird talk. I hate birds. And their swooping*

My grumble is my own fault, but I rode to work this morning and was a little late leaving. By the time I realised I had no glasses on it was all too late and by the time I got to the office I was totally blind due to pollen issues. I currently look like an extra in a horror film.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4933 on: 25 June, 2014, 09:46:31 am »
Argh, hugs Lady C. Hope they settle down soon.

Sneezing and runny noses are unpleasent, but eyes are far painful and horrible when hayfevered IME.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4934 on: 25 June, 2014, 10:00:01 am »
It appears to be peak seagull season.  The bastards are nesting on our flat roof again & dive bombing passers by. Rather noisy  >:(

Exam season, innit?  Amorous seagulls on the roof of the sports hall were the only distraction we had from the sniffling of hayfever sufferers during exams.  (Or alternatively, if you timed it right, the noise of a seagull fight could be used to mask a good snort.)
I've heard it's the norm now for studes to use pharmaceutical aids to revision, but snorting cocaine in the exam hall is a bit much!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4935 on: 25 June, 2014, 10:10:51 am »
You'd think that a company like Dell, would be able to manage a delivery window narrower than 8am - 6pm.  ::-)

Not them - but their contracted carrier. Lets the courier keep to the SLA stating a certain percentage will be delivered "on time".
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4936 on: 25 June, 2014, 01:44:36 pm »
Ah, Openreach, don'cha jus love'm.

Yesterday I received the following email (not that their own location map has our local exchange "scheduled" for fibre June'14)

Dear raf,

Thanks for telling us that you're interested in superfast fibre broadband.

We're really pleased to let you know that your local exchange, {ExchangeName}, has been added to our rollout plans.

You can get more details about the current status of the {ExchangeName} exchange, and find out when superfast fibre broadband will be available, using out new interactive map at www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when.

Because there are instances where we can't upgrade every single street cabinet, we'd advise you to contact your preferred Communications Provider and use their line checker to find out whether or not your property will be able to get superfast fibre broadband.

And just now I've received the following update....

Dear raf,

We had a technical problem yesterday whilst using a new email system. The issue led to a number of people receiving inaccurate information about fibre. 

Please ignore any emails you have received from Openreach in the past 24 hours and accept our apologies for the confusion this might have caused.

Regards,

Openreach Marketing

Wonderful!  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4937 on: 25 June, 2014, 04:06:05 pm »
I have only just realised why I couldn't log into Citrix last night.

I was so tired I was holding my RSA key upside down!  What's the chances of 3 number sets would be readable upside down as well as the normal way and still make sense?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4938 on: 25 June, 2014, 05:12:27 pm »
I have only just realised why I couldn't log into Citrix last night.

I was so tired I was holding my RSA key upside down!  What's the chances of 3 number sets would be readable upside down as well as the normal way and still make sense?

Assuming your tired mind would read an inverted 2 as a 5, then 0, 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, and 9 can be read upside down so 3 numbers assuming the first number can't be zero then 6/9 for the first number, 7/10 for the second, 6/10 for the third as the inverted number can't start with 0. 252 of the 900 available combinations would be legible or 28%.  ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4939 on: 25 June, 2014, 06:35:50 pm »
Thanks matthew. That *may* have been a rhetorical question  :)

My latest whinge, I am in a whingy mood today.  I am sat at home, Mrs T, FiL and TLD have gone to a school production. Its a lovely evening and I am feeling like Billy NoFuckngMates.

WHY?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ruth

« Reply #4940 on: 26 June, 2014, 10:48:22 am »
I would've gone on a pubbe run tonight MrT, if you hadn't been doing stuff with your family.  Time with your kid, what's that about?  Y'weirdo.

My foot hurts.  A lot.  Pain that stops me doing my job properly.  Now, I have found a kind of shoe that helps with this.  But the shoes are a hundred quid a pair.  FFS.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4941 on: 26 June, 2014, 11:07:06 am »
Not good. If you wear them for work, could you try getting them through the hospital as a required item of PPE?

Ruth

« Reply #4942 on: 26 June, 2014, 11:09:42 am »
I got special dispensation to wear my old work shoes mcshroom, instead of the theatre clogs we're supposed to wear.  My old work shoes are the  £100.00 a pair ones.  It was worth it to be comfortable at work, and they lasted on average about three years a pair.

Shoes at £100.00 a pop for outside work is a different matter. 

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #4943 on: 26 June, 2014, 01:38:00 pm »

Yesterday I received the following email (not that their own location map has our local exchange "scheduled" for fibre June'14)

Dear raf,

Thanks for telling us that you're interested in superfast fibre broadband.

We're really pleased to let you know that your local exchange, {ExchangeName}, has been added to our rollout plans.

You can get more details about the current status of the {ExchangeName} exchange, and find out when superfast fibre broadband will be available, using out new interactive map at www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when.

Because there are instances where we can't upgrade every single street cabinet, we'd advise you to contact your preferred Communications Provider and use their line checker to find out whether or not your property will be able to get superfast fibre broadband.

And just now I've received the following update....

Dear raf,

We had a technical problem yesterday whilst using a new email system. The issue led to a number of people receiving inaccurate information about fibre. 

Please ignore any emails you have received from Openreach in the past 24 hours and accept our apologies for the confusion this might have caused.

Regards,

Openreach Marketing

Wonderful!  ::-)

You may kill me, but...

Email from Virgin "Would you like a free upgrade from 20Mb to 50?"  Yes please...  "OK, here it is"  Done.

IGMC
Wombat

ian

« Reply #4944 on: 26 June, 2014, 09:49:34 pm »

If you ring them (or BT, who knows where one ends and the other begins), you soon realise that they're just using the same checker you can google up for yourself. When I called the other day, I knew more that they did.

In other other grumblesome matters. I'm hungry. I forgot to go to the shop so the contents of the fridge consist of some squishy strawberries, a pepper that was seeing better days about a week ago and is now so old it can't actually remember, and block of apparently fossilised parmesan. There's a couple of tins of tuna and some mushy peas in the cupboard. I am poorly equipped to survive the end times. I think a pizza delivery might be in order.

Even worse, I can't even order a pizza because my wife is sitting in a car-park at Gatwick admiring the roadworks.

I may die.

Ruth

« Reply #4945 on: 26 June, 2014, 09:51:47 pm »

In other other grumblesome matters. I'm hungry. I forgot to go to the shop so the contents of the fridge consist of some squishy strawberries, a pepper that was seeing better days about a week ago and is now so old it can't actually remember, and block of apparently fossilised parmesan. There's a couple of tins of tuna and some mushy peas in the cupboard. I am poorly equipped to survive the end times. I think a pizza delivery might be in order.

Even worse, I can't even order a pizza because my wife is sitting in a car-park at Gatwick admiring the roadworks.

I may die.

If you only had half a box of eggs ...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4946 on: 26 June, 2014, 11:54:47 pm »
I have a cough, and a runny nose, and a headache, and a fine selection of other aches to boot.  I think I may be coming down with a clod chiz.

Edit: I have come down with a clod and cannot even self-medicate with whisky.  Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4947 on: 27 June, 2014, 10:36:26 pm »
Mainly due to the smash wot broke my head an brane, I don't have many of my own teeth left and most of them are clinging on in the face of Major fucking Damage. Lottery win = Full DENTAL IMPLANTS!
Tonight whilst easting, coleslaw and pita breads, the filling for the BIG hole in my front tooth came loose and fell out into the gap it was filling but not in place! It hurts like Hell and it's now the weekend so dentists don't do "When you'm in payn hours" and I'll have to ring for a "Toothache appointment" on Monday. I HATE GOB DOCTORS and their RIDICULOUS Prices and too up themselves, in General, to deal with stuff that is important, just maybe when they would like to be doing something else and earning more money.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4948 on: 29 June, 2014, 12:05:43 am »
Oops! I apologise for my slightly ranty grumble above. I did get through to an out of ho0urs dentist on Saturday morning and was given an appointment within an hour to see them. The guy and the nurse were both lovely people, friendly and professional, and did a nice job of taking the dodgy bit out, killing the nerve and telling me to see my normal dentist as soon as I could. The pain has eased off a lot. :thumbsup:
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4949 on: 29 June, 2014, 03:34:44 pm »
Oops! I apologise for my slightly ranty grumble above. I did get through to an out of ho0urs dentist on Saturday morning and was given an appointment within an hour to see them. The guy and the nurse were both lovely people, friendly and professional, and did a nice job of taking the dodgy bit out, killing the nerve and telling me to see my normal dentist as soon as I could. The pain has eased off a lot. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you were sorted!
My friend in Shetland has a broken tooth at a weekend...