Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624518 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5200 on: 03 September, 2014, 08:29:18 pm »
So there I am, sat in the pub, pint of Old Speckled Hen, watching tonight's England women T20 against SA.  Cracking match.
Suddenly it's changed to a meaningless footy match that no one appears to be watching.

Ffs.  There's footy on.  We have to have the footy on.
Thick cunts.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5201 on: 03 September, 2014, 09:19:31 pm »
So there I am, sat in the pub, pint of Old Speckled Hen, watching tonight's England women T20 against SA.  Cracking match.
Suddenly it's changed to a meaningless footy match that no one appears to be watching.

Ffs.  There's footy on.  We have to have the footy on.
Thick cunts.

Though I still view Gryllidae Eneopterinae cricket as the sporting equivalent of Mornington Crescent, international matches in any sport are more important (IMO) than 'local' matches.  Your complaint, Sir, is worthy of a RANT, not a GRUMBLE.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5202 on: 03 September, 2014, 09:21:42 pm »
How on earth have I managed not to have a Euro lead in the house? >:(
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5203 on: 03 September, 2014, 09:23:13 pm »
It's an international friendly in the football Andrij.

My grumble, the white rugby shirt I washed with my white sheets had some red on it. I now have pink splodges on a whole set of white sheets, a white duvet cover and some white pillow cases. :facepalm:

Now off to buy some dye remover and hoping it does what it says :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruth

« Reply #5204 on: 03 September, 2014, 09:24:41 pm »
You could always pretend they're supposed to look like that?

Or just dye them all red?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5205 on: 03 September, 2014, 09:35:36 pm »

Though I still view Gryllidae Eneopterinae cricket as the sporting equivalent of Mornington Crescent,

:D
You might still be a "Johnnie Foreigner", but I love you, mate.  You made oi  larf.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #5206 on: 03 September, 2014, 10:03:21 pm »

Though I still view Gryllidae Eneopterinae cricket as the sporting equivalent of Mornington Crescent,

You might still be a "Johnnie Foreigner", but I love you, mate.  You made oi  larf.  :thumbsup:

;D
As a promise to a friend, I did listen to 'the cricket' on Saturday afternoon.   ???  I think there may have been some type of sporting event involved, at some point, but I must have missed those few seconds.  That said, it did put me in mind of how I used to imagine my best friend and I as drunken OAPs - blathering on about 'something' that no one else could understand.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #5207 on: 03 September, 2014, 10:04:46 pm »

Ah, didn't realise [assumption] Ingerlund [/assumption] was playing tonight.

Si_Co

« Reply #5208 on: 04 September, 2014, 11:07:01 am »
Very grumpy today, want to moan about everything, just CBA.  :(

Better keep my head down methinks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5209 on: 04 September, 2014, 11:28:38 am »
Very grumpy today, want to moan about everything, just CBA.  :(

Better keep my head down methinks.

Be kind to yourself; we all have stresses but grumpiness seems pretty trivial in the light of events of the last few weeks.

« Reply #5210 on: 04 September, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »

Ah, didn't realise [assumption] Ingerlund [/assumption] was playing tonight.
They were, friendly against Norway. Apparently more people watched the Bake Off1 than the footy.

1) Including me
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5211 on: 04 September, 2014, 08:02:33 pm »
A Hong Kong eBayer who I'm in the beginnings of a dispute with over some not very expensive items, not content with my photo of the wrong items they sent, is now asking me to send a video from my PayPal email address!  What sort of video they want, I do not know, but I'm not making any sort of video for them!  Piss off!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5212 on: 04 September, 2014, 09:55:25 pm »
We've just managed to dishwasher the same load 3 times.

I loaded it last night, as per usual.   I *thought* I ran it.
This morning, I went to grab a coffee cup out of it, and noticed a plastic Tupperware tub in immediate view was obviously still dirty.
'Bollocks' says I.
Must have forgotten to run it last night.   Sometimes happens.
Shoves in a tab and lets it run.

Gets home this evening, to find it running again.
Mrs. F tells me she found the contents dirty, assumes I've forgotten to run it and has run it this evening.

WTF?
The Tupperware tub is *still* dirty.

Closer inspection reveals it's 2 tubs, stacked together when they were dirty.
The dishwasher can't get at the stuff jammed between the 2 tubs.
The load has now been run 3 times, because a casual inspection makes it look like it's a dirty load.

Ruth

« Reply #5213 on: 04 September, 2014, 10:11:35 pm »
Feanor, you are a callous man.  I have only just lost a dishwasher, and am still grieving.  I think I'm in 'guilt', but occasionally it feels like 'anger'.

Have a heart, man.  Running the thing three times for one tupperware thing?  My whole kitchen is backed up with crusty old microwaved plates.  I don't even have any dishwasher tablets to soak my burned rice pan.  And there's water in my Marigolds.

I'm now off to do a bit of 'bargaining'. 

Your post has been a trigger for my 'issues'.  I hope you're proud of yourself.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #5214 on: 04 September, 2014, 10:31:23 pm »
The 'first world problems' thread is over there.  ==>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5215 on: 05 September, 2014, 01:24:36 am »

;D
As a promise to a friend, I did listen to 'the cricket' on Saturday afternoon.   ???  I think there may have been some type of sporting event involved, at some point, but I must have missed those few seconds.  That said, it did put me in mind of how I used to imagine my best friend and I as drunken OAPs - blathering on about 'something' that no one else could understand.
This is, surely, the point of cricket. It's a sport for people who'd prefer to drink beer and chat!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5216 on: 05 September, 2014, 11:25:50 am »
It's September, Summer is over.  Tourists - go home!  The people of London would like their city back.

Yes please.

Where I work the chaos will die down slightly post 28th September, when the annual Buckingham Palace tours finish.  We have two offices on Grosvenor Place - one is opposite the gate where everyone comes out and fills the pavement, and the other (where I am), is opposite the coach bay where they get picked up.  Only sometimes three coaches isn't enough, one has to go and park in the taxi bay directly outside the office, and then there are 50-60 people standing directly on the pavement outside the office and blocking access  :hand:

« Reply #5217 on: 05 September, 2014, 12:09:01 pm »
A Hong Kong eBayer who I'm in the beginnings of a dispute with over some not very expensive items, not content with my photo of the wrong items they sent, is now asking me to send a video from my PayPal email address!  What sort of video they want, I do not know, but I'm not making any sort of video for them!  Piss off!

*Tries to think of something clean that might look like the right thing, but would reveal itself to be the wrong thing because of movement, or lack thereof. Fails.*

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5218 on: 05 September, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »
Maybe they wanted me to video myself talking about the problem to prove it's my PayPal account!?, if it's not just delaying tactics. Anyway, they've settled on sending the right items instead of refunding, though they asked me to close the eBay "case" first, which I'm not doing.

My photo was enough to fully reveal the items: red ring illuminated push button switches instead of blue dot.

They're rather nice switches, by the way, except that you have to use the tip of you finger instead of the pad of your finger (unless you have very small fingers).  I'm always grumbling about ergonomics.
  - www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291223651661
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5219 on: 08 September, 2014, 11:08:24 am »
So I've been prescribed Cinnarizine for balance disorder (so ironic for someone who used to be able to tightrope walk). That means I pay the £8 odd for a standard prescription.

However, if I walked into a chemist and asked for something for travel sickness, I'd be sold exactly the same drug, over the counter, at a more sensible retail price.

OFFS
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5220 on: 08 September, 2014, 12:34:15 pm »
So I've been prescribed Cinnarizine for balance disorder (so ironic for someone who used to be able to tightrope walk). That means I pay the £8 odd for a standard prescription.

However, if I walked into a chemist and asked for something for travel sickness, I'd be sold exactly the same drug, over the counter, at a more sensible retail price.

This isn't unusual.  The prescription is worthwhile if you've got a prepayment card (or are lucky enough to have one of the right chronic conditions).

Of course, healthcare should be free at the point of use.  But that's another rant entirely...

ian

« Reply #5221 on: 08 September, 2014, 01:01:10 pm »
I don't get many prescriptions but when I got one for a insect bite (you've seen Starship Troopers, that kind of insect I think), the pharmacist pointed me toward the shelf with generic tubes of anti-histamine.

If you've ever bought prescription drugs in the US then you'd think they are free over here.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5222 on: 08 September, 2014, 01:01:57 pm »
A friendly pharmacist may advise when something is cheaper over the counter.

When something cheap is prescription only, like Wow's high-dose folic acid, prescription charges seem really unfair as the patient has no choice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5223 on: 08 September, 2014, 01:03:32 pm »
When something cheap is prescription only, like Wow's high-dose folic acid, prescription charges seem really unfair as the patient has no choice.

Sure they have a choice.  They can choose not to fill the prescription and cost the NHS more down the line by not treating their chronic condition.   >:(

« Reply #5224 on: 08 September, 2014, 01:44:39 pm »
MrsC, who dispenses in a pharmacy, suggests that the prescription version might be considerably higher dose than the OTC seasickness version.

Whatever. You aren't supposed to have it with alcohol, as that can render you unconscious for Many Hours. I chose to ignore this, consuming two pints of Hobgoblin + cheap bourbon on Sat night. No effect on me, I just slept as normal. At least I can sleep. Boy can I tell when this stuff has worn off, the whole world is doing a spinny tilting thing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>