Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624725 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7150 on: 09 December, 2015, 08:42:56 am »
Why should Christmas lights have to flash?  What's Christmassy about it?  What's it even supposed to look like, the Star of Bethlehem on battery-saving mode?  Damned things twist the eyes out of your head.

Folk across the road have got them in bright blue: you'd think they had a police car in their front room.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7151 on: 09 December, 2015, 08:53:39 am »
I also got that email cudzo, and I got all POBI on their ass.
You went reverse Tyson Fury?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7152 on: 09 December, 2015, 12:02:15 pm »
Why should Christmas lights have to flash?  What's Christmassy about it?

It's a little-known Christmas tradition:  The REINdeer knows who's been naughty and nice, and uses flashing lights to bring packet loss to their broadband connections accordingly.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #7153 on: 09 December, 2015, 12:11:03 pm »
I kno you shouldn't rnswer a question with another question, but to the last question on the latest British Cycling survey "Outside of cycling, which brand do you feel represents you the best?" my reply could only be "What kind of question is this?", so I did.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #7154 on: 09 December, 2015, 12:36:05 pm »
Like this?

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #7155 on: 09 December, 2015, 01:27:02 pm »
Like this?

(click to show/hide)

Quite good.

I was thinking along the lines of "This woman will decide for herself where she belongs, and it probably isn't in the kitchen or on her back (since she doesn't ride a recumbent). So she won't be patronized by your pathetic sexist marketing either."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7156 on: 09 December, 2015, 01:40:29 pm »
Thanks for your note and sorry to hear that you're not happy with the titles in the email. To be honest, I would never have thought that the terms 'Him' or 'Her' were sexist or patronising. The purpose of the email is to help people to find products that they might think suitable for 'Him' or 'Her' - so if someone is buying for a him then there is a suggested list of products that might suit and vice versa.

If you look carefully you will see that the two lists are remarkably similar - there are Garmins in the 'For Her' list too - we are well aware that Garmins are bought by everyone.

With regards to the accompanying text, this also was never meant to be sexist or patronising - the words are a simple parody of the well-known song that reflected the products our customers buy.

Sorry again for any unintended offence.

Simon

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7157 on: 09 December, 2015, 01:44:01 pm »

It's a little-known Christmas tradition:  The REINdeer knows who's been naughty and nice, and uses flashing lights to bring packet loss to their broadband connections accordingly.

Oh goody.

OTOH maybe he's a cop who parks indoors at night.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7158 on: 09 December, 2015, 02:56:35 pm »
Thanks for your note and sorry to hear that you're not happy with the titles in the email. To be honest, I would never have thought that the terms 'Him' or 'Her' were sexist or patronising. The purpose of the email is to help people to find products that they might think suitable for 'Him' or 'Her' - so if someone is buying for a him then there is a suggested list of products that might suit and vice versa.

If you look carefully you will see that the two lists are remarkably similar - there are Garmins in the 'For Her' list too - we are well aware that Garmins are bought by everyone.

With regards to the accompanying text, this also was never meant to be sexist or patronising - the words are a simple parody of the well-known song that reflected the products our customers buy.

Simon

We're sorry you were offended.  Useless fucking non apology.  Sexist shite.

I'd probably reply to say this was a complete non apology and that in case there was any doubt, I was making sure my friends knew $Brand are sexist twunts and that we shall not buy from you anymore kthxbai end of matter...

« Reply #7159 on: 09 December, 2015, 03:16:05 pm »

Simon
So 'Simon' completely misses the concept that as soon as you have lists for 'him' and for 'her', the lists are sexist?

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7160 on: 09 December, 2015, 03:46:08 pm »
The 'Him' list when you click through, has more than twice as many products than the 'Her' list.
The 'Him' list includes things that no 'Her' could wish for- like... locks and lights. Doubtless She would have a man with her so wouldn't need a lock, nor should She be doing something so Manly as riding in the dark.

So many things are wrong with it, I'm not sure where to start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7161 on: 09 December, 2015, 05:24:37 pm »
Like this?

(click to show/hide)

Yes, exactly like that :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7162 on: 09 December, 2015, 05:32:43 pm »
Completely non-cycling related but effing packaging  :demon:

Opened a new jar of coffee (for the tradesmen) today and as well as nice glass jar it had a plastic seal around the plastic lid and then a plastic/paper foil seal under the lid.  How effing hermetically sealed does a granule need to be?

And the council round here insist that the plastic film seal around the outside of the lid is non recyclable

Aaaaaarrrrgghhhh.

So went out for a lunchtime ride.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7163 on: 09 December, 2015, 08:26:56 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/agYHiSXple0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/agYHiSXple0&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/agYHiSXple0

Not a REINdeer in sight, unfortunately.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7164 on: 09 December, 2015, 11:55:26 pm »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7165 on: 10 December, 2015, 07:33:18 am »
Completely non-cycling related but effing packaging  :demon:

Opened a new jar of coffee (for the tradesmen) today and as well as nice glass jar it had a plastic seal around the plastic lid and then a plastic/paper foil seal under the lid.  How effing hermetically sealed does a granule need to be?

And the council round here insist that the plastic film seal around the outside of the lid is non recyclable

Aaaaaarrrrgghhhh.

So went out for a lunchtime ride.

You mean they've really dissected packagings and turned out a list of which microcomponents are recyclable and which aren't?

If in doubt, chuck the lot in the "general" bin is my motto.  I'd say kill'em all and let God sort them out, but I don't think He does recycling.

Re the coffee, if you're going to drink it then seal it up as tightly as poss, but if it's only for grubby tradesmen at the back door then it doesn't matter.

ian

« Reply #7166 on: 14 December, 2015, 12:51:14 pm »
I just had some made-to-measure blinds replaced because the glue that held on the weight at the bottom on melted in the sunlight. I mean, who knew the roller blinds would be exposed to sunlight. It's not like they spend their day hanging in windows. The manufacturers admitted that yes, this could be considered a design flaw, and replaced them all.

At the weekend, I glance at our custom cut and sized glass splashback behind the cooker hob. A nice stress crack is making steady progress from one of the corners where it was cut.

I swear everything bespoke has failed in some way. Cheap crap from Homebase on the other hand...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7167 on: 14 December, 2015, 01:07:02 pm »

Simon

We're sorry you were offended.  Useless fucking non apology.  Sexist shite.

I'd probably reply to say this was a complete non apology and that in case there was any doubt, I was making sure my friends knew $Brand are sexist twunts and that we shall not buy from you anymore kthxbai end of matter...
I'd forgotten about this. I received a similar reply, very prompt and sounding a little pissed off. As mrcharly says, completely missing the point about the categories.
Thank you for your note and sorry that you were so disappointed with the email you received from us. No, the words I wrote were not 'poetry' and neither were they 'doggerel' (although it would nice to able to amuse and engage people in the way that Mr McGonagall did). The words were merely a simple parody of the well-known song that reflected the products our customers buy.

As for the use of the 'Him'', 'Her' and 'Them' categories,we are genuinely not alone as a retailer in suggesting that Hims and Hers might want different gifts bought for them. Without wanting to sound trite, a clothing retailers website would be very difficult to navigate if the clothing for Him and Her was not presented on different pages.

So, again, my apologies if you felt patronised - but, for the record, I was extremely upset to be accused of being sexist, especially an 'old-school' one, whatever that means. I have, however, consoled myself with the knowledge that you spent longer reading my words than you might have read someone else's.
I'm afraid I don't recognise the song. Maybe that's me having a bit of a Wowbagger moment, maybe it's cos they've mangled it beyond recognition, but it's not the main point anyway. I do like his "consolation" though!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7168 on: 14 December, 2015, 02:40:52 pm »

Simon
So 'Simon' completely misses the concept that as soon as you have lists for 'him' and for 'her', the lists are sexist?

:o :o :o

And: Good work, boab! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7169 on: 14 December, 2015, 06:00:56 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/agYHiSXple0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/agYHiSXple0&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/agYHiSXple0

Not a REINdeer in sight, unfortunately.

That is really rather good!
Yes, but I've obviously spent too long at YACF cos the image of the flashing light at 1.00 suggested something quite different.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #7170 on: 15 December, 2015, 10:32:03 am »
After just over an entire year with nary a sniffle, the insides of my cranium are now pressurized with something that feels like ectoplasm mixed with wallpaper paste. Every now and then, when I least expect it, very liquid snot in some quantity issues profusely from my right nostril. Never the other.

I was hoping that I'd developed some supernatural resistance to lurgy.

On the plus side, I just snotted the cat. That was a nice change, she usually drools on me.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #7171 on: 15 December, 2015, 12:01:00 pm »
So . . . . you think you're tall enough to reach that top shelf to stash those extra CDs and DVDs do you?

Well, I thought I was. Unfortunately the lower shelf I used to gain extra height gave way, causing an awful mess of CDs and DVDs to come crashing down on top of my head yesterday evening. I suppose "Bollocks!" just about covered my anger. Wife told me not to get cross. I said this is precisely the right time to get cross!!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #7172 on: 15 December, 2015, 12:53:16 pm »
That is precisely the right time to get cross.  If you don't get cross at times like this when there is a genuine reason, you'd probably end up as one of those people who ends up getting cross at silly little things that really don't matter, i.e. a moaning old git...
Wombat

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7173 on: 15 December, 2015, 01:14:58 pm »
After just over an entire year with nary a sniffle, the insides of my cranium are now pressurized with something that feels like ectoplasm mixed with wallpaper paste. Every now and then, when I least expect it, very liquid snot in some quantity issues profusely from my right nostril. Never the other.

I was hoping that I'd developed some supernatural resistance to lurgy.

On the plus side, I just snotted the cat. That was a nice change, she usually drools on me.

For the last few days I have been toying with the expression "bungee cords of cheese fondue" for a similar situation, minus the moggie.

ian

« Reply #7174 on: 15 December, 2015, 02:59:31 pm »
It's quite weird, every now and again, against the tide of general heavy duty bungage, a large river of watery mucus will pour forth from my right nostril. I'm supposed to go for a posh meal tonight. This could be fun.