Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624693 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12350 on: 21 July, 2020, 08:49:20 am »
A quick glance at Ikea reveals chairs starting at £10, so you could have a lifetime's supply.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12351 on: 21 July, 2020, 10:49:59 am »
After The Great Collapsing Chair Disaster of 2014 I splurged on a 2nd hand Humanscale Freedom chair, because my arse (and back) are worth it.     

The plastic leatherette arm pads are now splitting ,  replacements are available for How Much ££!!   (£110 a pair).  I could probably buy a cheap Ikea chair for that much  :(

I have a similar problem with my previously-owned RH Logic.  I wrapped it in (proper) gaffer tape, and it's holding up surprisingly well.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12352 on: 21 July, 2020, 11:22:10 am »
After The Great Collapsing Chair Disaster of 2014 I splurged on a 2nd hand Humanscale Freedom chair, because my arse (and back) are worth it.     

The plastic leatherette arm pads are now splitting ,  replacements are available for How Much ££!!   (£110 a pair).  I could probably buy a cheap Ikea chair for that much  :(

Do not fall for the wiles of the superficially attractive Ikea leather-upholstered swivel chairs, for the outer surface of the leather comes off in little sooty flakes and you wind up looking like cycling's R Bardet after Mrs Pingu has shoved him up a chimney.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #12353 on: 21 July, 2020, 11:32:33 am »
Someone on Ebay is selling a Right arm pad for £26.  Typically it's the left hand one that's most in need of replacement, unless I decide to go for the duct tape solution.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Humanscale-Freedom-Chair-With-Headrest/274434126382?hash=item3fe58c722e:g:2BQAAOSw8LBfFquJ       I could bid on these & cannibalise them , but there is a slight problem with the location ! Pick up only. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12354 on: 21 July, 2020, 02:59:43 pm »
The Dokta: plz 2 collect blood test forms from surgery kthxbai.
Me: ICBA right now.  I shall call in on on my way to Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles on Tuesday.
>> to today
The Dokta (on a note taped to the door): if ur collecting paper-based Product ring this number kthxbai sue.
Me: Onoz!  Being a person unwedded to the notion that a mobile phone is as essential an item of equipment as trousers* when leaving the house, I haz not my phone about my person.  Also, it's probably run out of voles anyway.  Y u not tell me I need to phone when leave msg on machine, Sue?

Bah!

* Other aids to lower-body modesty are available.  Pockets optional.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12355 on: 21 July, 2020, 03:09:26 pm »
Bah! Too much milk in the tea again.  :sick:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12356 on: 21 July, 2020, 06:12:03 pm »
Someone on Ebay is selling a Right arm pad for £26.  Typically it's the left hand one that's most in need of replacement, unless I decide to go for the duct tape solution.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Humanscale-Freedom-Chair-With-Headrest/274434126382?hash=item3fe58c722e:g:2BQAAOSw8LBfFquJ       I could bid on these & cannibalise them , but there is a slight problem with the location ! Pick up only. 

If the pads are removable could you take them to one of those people that redoes vinyl pub seats and the like. A contract upholsterer or summat.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #12357 on: 21 July, 2020, 06:31:48 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humanscale-Freedom-office-chair-gel-arm-pad-right/324219537910?hash=item4b7cfd89f6:g:pxoAAOSwFIJfANc6

Damn thing looks quite like a saddle.....    I wonder if Selle Italia would do me a favour ?  Or Brooks ?  I've spent enough money on their stuff!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12358 on: 21 July, 2020, 09:19:14 pm »

Use gaffer tape, like the theatricals use, not duct tape.  It'll last longer without peeling into a sticky mess at the edges.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12359 on: 22 July, 2020, 08:22:03 am »
Bloody Guardian, always ready to present things in a bad light. Re methane seep in Antarctica:

The active seep was first spotted by chance by divers in 2011, but it took scientists until 2016 to return to the site and study it in detail, before beginning laboratory work.

If the scientists were delinquent in their duty to get there ASAP then the Bloody Graun should come out and say so, instead of suggesting it by their snide choice of words. Their copywriters aren't so thick (I hope) that they didn't know what they were suggesting.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12360 on: 22 July, 2020, 09:35:12 am »
Bloody Guardian, always ready to present things in a bad light. Re methane seep in Antarctica:

The active seep was first spotted by chance by divers in 2011, but it took scientists until 2016 to return to the site and study it in detail, before beginning laboratory work.

If the scientists were delinquent in their duty to get there ASAP then the Bloody Graun should come out and say so, instead of suggesting it by their snide choice of words. Their copywriters aren't so thick (I hope) that they didn't know what they were suggesting.

That doesn't suggest any delinquency to me, natural methane seeps are not uncommon.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12361 on: 22 July, 2020, 01:07:20 pm »

That doesn't suggest any delinquency to me, natural methane seeps are not uncommon.

Not the point. Graun's wording suggests that the scientists dragged their feet getting there.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12362 on: 22 July, 2020, 01:09:56 pm »
Your interpretation. It could also be inferred that it took 5 years for governments or other bodies to allow funding or access for the scientists to go look.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12363 on: 22 July, 2020, 01:39:18 pm »
But only the scientists were mentioned.

ElyDave

« Reply #12364 on: 22 July, 2020, 03:29:27 pm »
It also says nothing about whether there was any urgency to look, which wasn't acted on, or whether it was just scientists saying "hmm, that looks interesting, let's put it on the list of things to have a look at"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12365 on: 22 July, 2020, 04:02:05 pm »
Exactly. Typical Graun.

ElyDave

« Reply #12366 on: 22 July, 2020, 07:34:18 pm »
I think you're over thinking this, and ascribing a motive that isn't necessarily there.  Best I can agree with you is that it's vague.  Maybe go and have another cup of tea?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12367 on: 23 July, 2020, 08:20:44 am »
Yeah. Maybe I'm just fed up with their generally censorious approach to just about anything. I'd dump them if the others weren't as bad. MrsT already did - she doesn't do crosswords.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12368 on: 23 July, 2020, 04:31:16 pm »
45 minutes on hold to pay Seiko for a watch repair!
I am not impressed.
Email they sent me this afternoon stated I should phone them & tell them CC details.

No alternatives.

Paying my gardeners/window cleaner is quicker!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #12369 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:50:42 am »
Nearest location taking part in the cycle repair scheme is 40km away
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12370 on: 28 July, 2020, 12:53:37 pm »
Got the first of my bits of wall panelling fitted, now have to take it back to the workshop for finishing (dark oak so that it won't show as much where the dogs rub along it).

MrsT: Can we leave it light, like that?

I've got dark oak varnish & matching Liberon wax to hide planned nail-gun holes.  I have not got light oak wax nor clear varnish in sufficient quantity.  And never mind about the dogs.

It does look good the way it is, though...  AAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

« Reply #12371 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:57:36 pm »
Dye the dogs?  ;)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12372 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:17:33 pm »
Good idea.

« Reply #12373 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:30:48 pm »
mini electric fence, mounted 4" proud of the wall?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12374 on: 30 July, 2020, 11:08:33 am »
my dSLR got two side doors, clearly marked what's behind them, so why the flipflop do I still open up door number one after I have seen/read on door number one that door number one doesn't contain what I need behind it ... every flipping time ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit