Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624595 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13325 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:58:34 pm »
I'm not sure I'd do up a place to sell it. My parents did this and purchasers ripped everything up or out. I've not redone anything inessential since I arrived. Of course it's all tired now. If I NEED to redo it, I'll do it for ME but I have no intention of budging yet, nor budget for refurbishments.
House next door to us. Previously owned (and nicely extended) by a plumber. Last couple of weeks before he moved out, there was a skip in the front garden as he got rid of the accumulated junk they didn't want to move with and finish off the last few jobs.
New person moves in. Another skip arrives. Several weeks of removing recently fitted stuff and replacing it with new stuff they liked.

Well, I suppose it keeps the economy ticking along.

My previous next door was sold several times while I was there, each person ripped out kitchen and bathroom and replaced it.  Time period approx ten years.

I recently saw my previous house up for sale, they'd wrecked the garden (except the decking I built) and new internal paint scheme was awful, but 100% of my DIY was still there, the kitchen and bathroom we fitted (not DIY, and desperately needed to replace previous no-more-nails DIY) were untouched and as we left it.  Time period approx ten years.

Sometimes I get it right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13326 on: 15 June, 2021, 06:21:15 pm »
I'm sure the A-Team's Murdock has strong opinions about gardening, too.

“I ain't doin' no gardenin', fool!” B.A. Baracus, yesterday
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13327 on: 15 June, 2021, 06:41:16 pm »
Dear large white domestic appliance,

You are a fridge, not a freezer, and don’t you forget it.

Grrr!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13328 on: 15 June, 2021, 06:53:26 pm »
I'm sure the A-Team's Murdock has strong opinions about gardening, too.

“I ain't doin' no gardenin', fool!” B.A. Baracus, yesterday

BA's idea of gardening would involve Agent Orange.

ian

« Reply #13329 on: 15 June, 2021, 07:50:02 pm »
Unfortunately, every bit of garden paved over is another bit of nature lost and another car on the road and at least one fewer person walking or cycling. That's the true cost. People also grow into their surroundings, which if they look like the car park of an abandoned retail park is some dystopian near-future, explains much of modern Britain.

I don't do any gardening, I pay a man (ok, usually three of them), though I did mow the front lawns of ours and next doors' yesterday, owing to the fact that the grass waited for the gardeners to leave after their last visit. I left the back garden though because of the perfect confluence of laziness and leaving a bit of nature around for the bees and assorted other bugs. Though at the moment I can see Little Monster Cat's ears in the middle of it all. She likes to think she's stealthy.

I mention the impressively useless extension our first house has acquired elsewhere. While the house was best described as compact and bijou (or in Estateagentese surprisingly spacious) it offered nothing other than putting the kitchen in the living room and reducing the garden to a cheerless square of paving for the Saddest Little Barbeque in SE London. Of course, ker-ching, it's now a three-bedroom house even if you'd struggle to get a single bed in the former kitchen. The kitchen was so small we risked inadvertently starting a family by turning around too quickly.

Reminds me, when we looking last we saw a place billed as 'four-bedroom' in Bromley. Seriously, two of those 'bedrooms' wouldn't have fitted single beds, the third maybe a single, and only the fourth was ample enough to earn to sobriquet bedroom. They'd basically taken a two-and-a-half bedroom house and upped the count to four. I remember that one because I cycled past some months later to see people trying to get a bed through the front door (the hallway was blessed with a turn sharp enough to guarantee impregnability to any furnishing that wasn't still flat-packed). Even the expedient and taking it around the back and through the kitchen, well, you still had to navigate that hallway to get it up the stairs. I suppose that solved the bedroom problem, not need to worry, you're not getting a bed up there in the first place. I have no idea why someone bought the place, the failings were obvious and it wasn't even especially cheap.

« Reply #13330 on: 15 June, 2021, 08:43:17 pm »
If When we ever find a house that's got the front garden paved over it'll all be getting hoicked up apart from a small Roomster sized area and covered in some sort of nature.

Get some Grasscrete or similar in.

Why would I do that? The key word being in bold.

To park the Roomster on? And retain a green-ish finish with decent drainage.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13331 on: 15 June, 2021, 10:23:33 pm »
Alright, now that I've looked it up I apologise, I didn't realise it had actual grass in it!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #13332 on: 16 June, 2021, 08:13:18 am »
Alright, now that I've looked it up I apologise, I didn't realise it had actual grass in it!

NP. I assumed knowledge on the part of othes too  :).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13333 on: 16 June, 2021, 09:02:54 am »
After delighting me with it's instant use as garmin-free utility ride tracking, my Fitbit has now 3 times failed to do it's thing for my commute.
Bastard. I blame Bluetooth. Everyone knows without Strava it didn't happen. Although my legs are telling me otherwise.

« Reply #13334 on: 16 June, 2021, 09:52:27 am »
Effing 'background check' companies.

My future employers are a US firm. So they are using the US branch of a background check company. That can't cope with things like my not having a USA Social Security number.

Towering pile of shite lot keep telling future employers that they have tried to contact me to get information (that they already have, it is on the forms on their website). No they haven't. Every time I phone them (waiting 15 min on hold for US calls is annoying), they tell me they have all the information needed. Then give a different answer to my future employer.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13335 on: 16 June, 2021, 01:42:10 pm »
Front garden conversions to parking space continue apace around here – you'd think we'd put a stop to it, it just adds more cars to the mix. No nature allowed. Of course, they gush surface water onto roads and overload the storm drains (which they're not supposed to do, but who checks this work?) As a bonus, I regularly see houses that have converted every inch of frontage to car parking and there's an extra car slapped across the pavement in front, now de facto annexed as a 'driveway.' Or those with a small front garden, not big enough for a car, but who do it anyway, leaving their car across the pavement.

We saw a new build the other week, in a pretty village, the entire front garden was paved. Seriously, you could have parked a dozen cars on there, so the view out of the well-appointed front windows was literally a car park opening onto the main road. I guess it's sold as low maintenance, but honestly if you can afford that sort of house, you can afford a fucking gardener.

We have started reporting cars parked on grass verges to the district council, if there is any damage caused (which there so often is).  The council sends their insurers a bill....  :thumbsup: :demon:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #13336 on: 16 June, 2021, 02:16:04 pm »
It's about time – if only more councils would be proactive (and same for pavement parking, drivers should be held liable).

I'm surprised anyone's insurance pays out if they're improperly parked. That would be sad if it comes out of their pockets.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #13337 on: 16 June, 2021, 03:57:50 pm »
Quote from: ian
... same for pavement parking, drivers should be held liable...

I haven't been paying close attention, but isn't this about to become illegal throughout Englandland?  Seem to remember there's some weasliness about enforcement though.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13338 on: 16 June, 2021, 07:02:07 pm »
Quote from: ian
... same for pavement parking, drivers should be held liable...

I haven't been paying close attention, but isn't this about to become illegal throughout Englandland?  Seem to remember there's some weasliness about enforcement though.

The government proposed changing the law, using their Covid powers, but the gammonati in Parliament are trying to kaibosh it.

Enforcement falls to the police unless they devolve it to  local authority.  Many police forces (our local one included) refuse to do so, so there is effectively no enforcement...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #13339 on: 16 June, 2021, 07:39:56 pm »
Don't councils have some kind of duty to keep pavements open and clear? I guess not, which seems a manifest failing. People should start tripping over cars and suing them. I'm very accident-prone.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13340 on: 16 June, 2021, 10:51:17 pm »
After delighting me with it's instant use as garmin-free utility ride tracking, my Fitbit has now 3 times failed to do it's thing for my commute.
Bastard. I blame Bluetooth. Everyone knows without Strava it didn't happen. Although my legs are telling me otherwise.
Can the Fitbit app see it, or is it not even getting that far?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13341 on: 18 June, 2021, 06:03:01 pm »
"For the assurance team, we strive to build complexity, but deliver on simplicity. We understand how valuable your time is"

If you really understood that, you'd cut the platitudes and just show us the stuff.

A few minutes later in the same presentations:
"As the earth goes round, the seasons change dramatically. As technology becomes more advanced, the work you have to do changes dramatically. Value your time to make our world a better place."

:sick:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13342 on: 19 June, 2021, 12:59:54 pm »
I went to Toolstation to buy some pipe freezer spray.
Fox shit management - for the use of.
What's the product code? Says the face behind the counter.
I've no idea - Says I.
You need to look it up in the book. Says the face, pointing yonder.
I located the index at the back of the book.
Pipe freezer spray Page 152 - says the book.
Page 152 has a number of products branded 'Arctic Hayes' - which I know to be the branding on the empty can of pipe freezer in my shed.
PIN number is keyed into pad, I leave the store with a navy blue aerosol can in my bag.
It isn't until I get home and try and put the aerosol to use that I discover what he has actually sold me isn't a can of pipe freezer spray, but is a can of compressed air, dust for the blowing away of, and absolutely useless when it comes to freezing fox shit.
ETA - I'm struggling to believe that I actually tried it.

Wankers.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13343 on: 19 June, 2021, 01:48:58 pm »
"For the assurance team, we strive to build complexity, but deliver on simplicity. We understand how valuable your time is"

If you really understood that, you'd cut the platitudes and just show us the stuff.

A few minutes later in the same presentations:
"As the earth goes round, the seasons change dramatically. As technology becomes more advanced, the work you have to do changes dramatically. Value your time to make our world a better place."

:sick:

You must have been really bad in a past life.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13344 on: 19 June, 2021, 01:50:22 pm »
Whereas if I was really bad in this life, I'd be the one writing that...  :demon:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13345 on: 21 June, 2021, 01:22:05 pm »
Speaking of Baal Zevuv, the flies are hyperactive today.  I had one all round me at lunch and the damned thing has followed me upstairs now.

Time to string some rubber bands together...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13346 on: 22 June, 2021, 11:46:43 am »
The Oticon Streamer I use for connecting my phone via Bluetooth to my hearing aids isn’t the most intuitive piece of hardware I’ve ever used, and it’s functionality can be at best described as, well, functional. It’s ability to stream audio books and music from my phone is a nice addition though, but it would be an awful lot better if it didn’t seem to change details of just how it functions every time use it. It works, but sometimes the stream switch stopes the playback and sometimes it just mutes, with no audible indication of which option it has chosen.

I bought a newer version recently so I could gain added functionality that is only available via a phone app. I’m beginning to think that was a waste of money, because, as above, the functionality seems to change with the weather or sunspots or something, and the need for an audiologist to actually programme some of functions on the hearing aids before the app will let me turn them on or off is very frustrating. And the audiologists (multiple) had issues even trying to pair my streamers with my hearing aids.

Audiology doesn’t seem to benefit from the consumer driven need to provide reliable and flexible tech as, say, mobile phones.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13347 on: 22 June, 2021, 12:34:52 pm »
The customer driven need, as perceived by hearing aid manufacturers, is that they be:

a) Invisible
b) Not sound 'weird' to someone who's never used a hearing aid before

Because we know that all hearing aid users are old people[1] who are ashamed of their acquired hearing loss.  Or something.

I'm suspicious that all other features are designed primary to appeal to audiologists/parents/educators - ie. people with influence over purchasing decisions who appreciate the theoretical benefit of direct input, radio aids and the like, but who don't have to actually use them.

[1] But not to the point where they struggle with vision or dexterity as pertains to the manipulation of small objects, obviously.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13348 on: 22 June, 2021, 12:37:07 pm »
Barakta informs me that her opinion of Oticon streamers is unprintable..

« Reply #13349 on: 22 June, 2021, 06:10:57 pm »
Dear bbc NEWS at six.

it is now 18:10.    Please stop talking about the futpool and start giving me the news.