Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255065 times)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #975 on: 07 March, 2020, 01:21:32 pm »
I'm working on resurrecting AWE as a calendar event this summer, just need to finalise the hall bookings and should then be ready to publish it
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #976 on: 07 March, 2020, 07:03:57 pm »
I'm working on resurrecting AWE as a calendar event this summer, just need to finalise the hall bookings and should then be ready to publish it

:) :) :)

rob

« Reply #977 on: 09 March, 2020, 01:07:06 pm »
4 rides done.   Hopefully the Invicta Grimpeur this Sunday will complete the set.

Been quite good fun doing something different this year.

And done.   Really pleased with these events and they seem to have given me a new lease of life.

« Reply #978 on: 11 March, 2020, 11:43:19 am »

Here it is: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-177/ - filling the gap in the GdS calendar for July as well.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

rob

« Reply #979 on: 11 March, 2020, 03:45:17 pm »

Here it is: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-177/ - filling the gap in the GdS calendar for July as well.

Damn.   Will be away at the Pan Celtic.   At least I think I will.

Martin

« Reply #980 on: 16 March, 2020, 06:12:39 pm »
The Reliable 16th May cancelled  :( but still available as a perm

« Reply #981 on: 16 March, 2020, 06:54:15 pm »
 :-[ Sorry to hear that Martin but thanks for trying.

I couldn't make it anyway, given it clashes with BCM and also a festival I'd double-booked myself in for. Most likely outcome is all are cancelled.

Martin

« Reply #982 on: 16 March, 2020, 06:55:58 pm »
It will run next year (if there IS a next year)

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #983 on: 14 July, 2020, 03:32:12 pm »
All my perms AAA Milne, Mallorca Moonpig, The Reliable and Meridian Hills are available from August 1st.

AAA Milne, Mallorca Moonpig, The Reliable can also be extended to 200km, AAA Milne certainly lends itself well to this being 50km from That London to its Northernmost point, RRTY AAARTY and even GdSRTY all ticked in one ride what's not to like?  :thumbsup:

GdS

« Reply #984 on: 31 July, 2020, 04:01:00 pm »
A reminder that the IoW round the island 100km ride in either direction is valid as a GdS and it doesn't need to be entered as a DIY; just a gpx route to me or photos around the route will suffice; and of course a 6 rider limit from any one start location

Also; like RRTY and AAARTY the GdSRTY resumes tomorrow so March-July 2020 are excluded (unless you did an eligible ride in March) The regular GdS award still requires 5 rides to be ridden before 31.12.20 (there were 3 eligible calendar events which did run this year)

There will almost certainly be no more calendar eligible events this year as I have had no entries for the Mid Sussex Hilly / Hillier in October even if were to be allowed

« Reply #985 on: 01 August, 2020, 09:14:25 pm »
There will almost certainly be no more calendar eligible events this year as I have had no entries for the Mid Sussex Hilly / Hillier in October even if were to be allowed

It hadn't personally occurred to me to enter MSH as I assumed all Calendar entries were closed until AUK announced otherwise, if it was to go ahead I would definitely enter. I would also be happy to help out on the day if a shortage of helpers was the only thing stopping it going ahead. But yes, obviously you need to have some certainty in planning at some point.

GdS

« Reply #986 on: 02 August, 2020, 01:14:04 pm »

It hadn't personally occurred to me to enter MSH as I assumed all Calendar entries were closed until AUK announced otherwise, if it was to go ahead I would definitely enter. I would also be happy to help out on the day if a shortage of helpers was the only thing stopping it going ahead. But yes, obviously you need to have some certainty in planning at some point.

I don't think it's possible to run an event of this type with full hall service and many riders clamouring for hot dogs at the lunch control until the Covid threat has disappeared. A shame because this year would have been the 20th edition  :(

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #987 on: 04 August, 2020, 09:48:36 pm »
Would like to recommend the AAA Milne as a superb day out, I rode it on Sunday. Can start from East Grinstead railway station, so fairly easy for them from That London.

Recommended.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

GdS

« Reply #988 on: 05 August, 2020, 09:13:48 am »
Would like to recommend the AAA Milne as a superb day out, I rode it on Sunday. Can start from East Grinstead railway station, so fairly easy for them from That London.

Recommended.

AAA Milne was slated to run as a calendar event for the 3rd time in July 2021; as I will probably be running 2 200s before then we'll see (goes to check best before date on hot dogs in garage)

« Reply #989 on: 05 August, 2020, 08:43:07 pm »
I second the AAA Milne recommendation! I rode it on Saturday. Really enjoyed the quiet lanes through the forest, lovely scenery, and all the climbs felt quite gradual, nothing too sharp.

I also extended it using the excellent new EPE functionality, which worked out well. With the 2 possible AAA Milne start points there are a lot of places within range!

GdS

« Reply #990 on: 06 August, 2020, 11:17:06 am »
AAA Milne added to calendar for 3.7.21 usual hot dog / ice cream stop in Pooh Car park :thumbsup:

GdS

« Reply #991 on: 28 August, 2020, 02:08:14 pm »
Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier cancelled  :'( it would have been the 20th anniversary edition too.

That leaves no more eligible calendar events for 2020 but there were 3 before Lockdown. Plenty of opportunity for perms / DIYs though before 31st December :thumbsup:

GdS

« Reply #992 on: 01 January, 2021, 12:14:48 pm »
Sadly entries to Meridian Hills perm are suspended during Tier 4 restrictions as it crosses 3 areas,

EPEs to 200k are still permitted for GdS rides that remain within the same area; for example AAA Milne and The Reliable may be extended provided the EPE starts in East or West Sussex and Brighton and Hove

« Reply #993 on: 01 January, 2021, 04:42:02 pm »
While out riding earlier I was wondering if AAA Milne crossed into Kent or not at Groombridge. Luckily (for me, a Sussex resident) is no, not quite!

GdS

« Reply #994 on: 01 January, 2021, 04:56:36 pm »
While out riding earlier I was wondering if AAA Milne crossed into Kent or not at Groombridge. Luckily (for me, a Sussex resident) is no, not quite!

no it avoids it by about 100m. Unlike the original Billy version (it was always my name) which also went into Surrey

« Reply #995 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:07:32 pm »
I’m thinking that I’ll need to create a AAA route wholly within Hertfordshire ... I am not aware of any that exist already. The Westerley rides all seem to head out of the county.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

GdS

« Reply #996 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:56:26 pm »
I’m thinking that I’ll need to create a AAA route wholly within Hertfordshire ... I am not aware of any that exist already. The Westerley rides all seem to head out of the county.

my brother lives in Herts and I long sought to create a 100k GdS called the King of Herts but could never get all the various and impressive climbs around the area to qualify but bonne chance  :thumbsup:

« Reply #997 on: 01 January, 2021, 10:48:38 pm »
It’s an interesting challenge to do a AAA in Herts. Based on my mtn bike climb ratios I think it’s possible for 50km but not so sure about 100km or further. I managed a road climb ratio of 11.4m / 100km over 120km this month.  I wasn’t seeking specifically to maximise climbing. But increasing that to 15m per 100k is a stretch.  Lilley bottom road has promise as a start point as there’s lots of roads rising up either side. So you could weave up and down along that valley. Plus you could do an out and back along the up and down as that’s allowed in audax. Then maybe loop up and down along the wheathampstead/ Luton road as that has some decent 7-8% hills off either side. It’s hilly linking the two. Hmmm, but it may only be Herts hilly not aaa hilly. Valley with Berkhampstead, Hemel, and Kings Langley also has some steep climbs off both sides, with some 14-15%, and even a 20% one. Separate area south of A414 also has plenty of hills if you can link them.

A gravel bike and some of the firmer bridleways in a few places would certainly allow further improvements to climb ratios.

« Reply #998 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:04:28 am »
It’s an interesting challenge to do a AAA in Herts. ...

A gravel bike and some of the firmer bridleways in a few places would certainly allow further improvements to climb ratios.

I have a 65km route in Essex that gets AAA points. I had to use a few bridle ways and a lot of looping to use both directions of the available climbs. I’ve not yet been able to make that into a 100km. I’ll try and use the same principles in one of those areas you have mentioned Phil, to see if a Herts-based 100km route is possible.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #999 on: 02 January, 2021, 02:34:14 pm »
Here you go. This is entirely on roads, and starts near Hitchin, ending near Berkhampstead and according to bikehike is AAA at 15.32m per 100km. It’s entirely in Herts.

I actually had a higher climb ratio at 50km, then it dropped as I headed west from near Harpenden to reach the next hilly sections I know.  So you could do a 100km out and back from near Hitchin and no further west than Harpenden that looks to be AAA.

I’ve saved the track and might have a look when on PC , on my OS mapping, as I’m sure there are optimisations to minimise flattish sections.  This was done tapping away on my iPad based on what I know on the ground.

It’s close enough for me to do a test run on, on an out and back. I have a barometric GPS which should give some clue as to how good the bike hike elevation figure is.