Author Topic: What is the best front light for under a £100  (Read 5531 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: What is the best front light for under a £100
« Reply #25 on: 11 September, 2012, 03:21:56 pm »
OK, final try ... it seems to me that lights used to be mainly advertised with "X billion Lumens output".*

But in this thread all the references are to "... the Y Lux NightBlaze Plus" and similar. So I wondered if there's been a shift in the marketing speak, or if I've just not been paying attention!

*Random sample: my Fenix box lists runtimes (hours) vs lumens in the various modes.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #26 on: 11 September, 2012, 03:27:28 pm »
The thread has mostly discussed B&M lights and B&M specifies light output in Lux. AFAIAA that's all there is to it...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 11 September, 2012, 03:31:01 pm »
B&M have always quoted Lux.  I suspect that's what the German lighting regs use.

Other (non-German) manufacturers tend to stick to Lumens, as that's how the LEDs are specified by their manufacturers and avoids any complicated testing or mathematics to account for the effect of the optics.  They're also standard for torch manufacturers, as unlike bike lights, torches aren't normally used at a fixed distance from the subject they're illuminating.

If there's been a shift towards Lux, I suspect that's indicative of B&Ms increasing market share.

(As optics are so important, my preferred units for comparison are power draw / runtime, and subjective illumination when seen in close proximity on night rides.  Lumens or Lux, on their own, tell you very little.  Photographs taken in controlled conditions are also good, but hard to come by.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 11 September, 2012, 07:10:07 pm »
Photos in standardised conditions are my favourite method of comparison, for instance these, other than actually getting to use the thing at night. Even switching it on and shining it round a darkened room or garden doesn't really replicate the effective illumination when riding.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: 11 September, 2012, 07:23:50 pm »
B&M have always quoted Lux.  I suspect that's what the German lighting regs use.
It is.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #30 on: 11 September, 2012, 08:49:07 pm »
anyone got any thoughts on a front light for my trice . as the light is mounted low compared to a upright cycle i wonder if any light would be better than others  :-\ :)
the slower you go the more you see

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #31 on: 11 September, 2012, 08:50:08 pm »
wow  :o thanks for the info so much so that I need to seriously look at some of these dynamo outfits as I Had not really considered a dynohub before maybe I will have to amend the budget slightly  ;) justified by the saving in gym membership  :sick: and fuel saving alone  :thumbsup:  thanks again for all the replies time to look at lights and see what will suit my needs best
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 11 September, 2012, 11:11:55 pm »
anyone got any thoughts on a front light for my trice . as the light is mounted low compared to a upright cycle i wonder if any light would be better than others  :-\ :)

We've got a non-R Cyo[1] on barakta's.  For best distance illumination it needs to be pointed ever so slightly up from horizontal, but not to the point of blinding oncoming traffic at medium range.

It's certainly the sort of thing you want to be aiming for beam-shape wise - a wide but shallow rectangular beam.  Anything too tall will waste light either on the ground behind your feet or into the sky/eyes of oncoming traffic.  Circular beams are probably best avoided, though a narrow spot aimed into the distance might be beneficial in combination with something else.

[1] Same optics as on the B&M IQ Fly, Ixon IQ, Ixon IQ Speed and Schmidt Edelux.

« Reply #33 on: 12 September, 2012, 09:18:44 am »
thanks kim  :thumbsup:. i will have a look at them  :)
the slower you go the more you see