Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 346310 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2200 on: 27 July, 2021, 01:20:54 pm »
On subject of road surfaces, shortly after passing Flash the highest village in England, I climbed up to the Cat + Fiddle pub near Buxton last week, which is the second highest pub in England. With a long [and long anticipated] descent down to the Cheshire Plain.
Unfortunately, it was a brand new road surface. By brand new, I mean they were laying it earlier that day. So both sticky and loose chippings.
It was a very cautious descent which felt no easier than the last part of climb up to Cat + Fiddle.
I also just discovered this bit of info re this road...

"The inn gives its name to the Cat and Fiddle Road: a stretch of the A537 road, linking Macclesfield to the west with Buxton to the east, which features many sharp corners. This road became notorious for the high number of accidents, particularly among motorcyclists for whom the road is often regarded as an exhilarating technical challenge; an AA survey in 2003 named it as the most dangerous stretch of road in the United Kingdom.[13]

A 2016 report indicates that between 2007 and 2011, there were 44 serious or fatal crashes on the 7.5-mile (12 km) stretch. Between 2002 and 2006, there were 35. The report states that the safety issue is caused by "severe bends, steep falls from the carriageway and edged by dry-stone walls for almost the entirety of the road"

Thankfully it was fairly quiet traffic when I was riding on it. Not the only danger though. I have come around a blind corner on that road and a sheep jumped down onto road right in front of car. But I was going a sensible speed, so stopped no problem. If I had been going at the speed limit, that could have ended very badly, particularly as a 38 tonne lorry was coming down the hill on other side. Had a dippy sheep jump in road in front of bike when tiling around there too last week.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2201 on: 27 July, 2021, 01:42:20 pm »
I love that descent. At bike speeds the bends aren't that crazy. I only had the one change of the lights to wait for Mr Smith when he was on fixed and I had a freewheel. It was even more fun on the tandem.
I'd hazard a guess that it isn't the road but the drivers who are dangerous.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2202 on: 27 July, 2021, 01:47:12 pm »

As someone who lives on a reputedly "dangerous" road, I would very much concur with this way of looking at it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2203 on: 27 July, 2021, 02:50:47 pm »
I love that descent. At bike speeds the bends aren't that crazy. I only had the one change of the lights to wait for Mr Smith when he was on fixed and I had a freewheel. It was even more fun on the tandem.
It's not a lovely descent on sticky tarmac. It was deeply disappointing, particularly when the ride profile promised so much.  :'(

Well yes and no. If if was just drivers/bikers to blame, then all roads would be equally dangerous. Some roads however encourage fast driving and then punish you severely when you mess up.
Though I bet there are other more dangerous roads where it's not drivers/motorbikers at risk but more pedestrians and cyclists that get killed/seriously injured per km by selfish behaviour of those using motor vehicles.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2204 on: 27 July, 2021, 03:55:04 pm »
My grandfather used to make regular trips over that road in his lorry.  If my father was with him he would be allowed to get some driving practice in on the unladen trip from Macclesfield back to Buxton.  He was only 14 at the time so my grandfather used to insist that he wore a hat to make him look older!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2205 on: 28 July, 2021, 01:56:03 pm »
I can't see the Veloviewer addons in Strava Routes at the moment. I'm definitely logged into VV on the same PC. Anyone else  ???
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2206 on: 28 July, 2021, 03:26:10 pm »
Sometimes, even at low tide, you have to get your feet wet...

Another tile bagged by citoyen, on Flickr

Paddling by citoyen, on Flickr

(the water was actually a lot more pleasant than it looks in the pic)
Is that the Whitstable Street? How far did you need to wade?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2207 on: 28 July, 2021, 03:47:37 pm »
I can't see the Veloviewer addons in Strava Routes at the moment. I'm definitely logged into VV on the same PC. Anyone else  ???

Looks like a known issue:

There is currently an issue with the VeloViewer Chrome Extension for the integration with the Strava Route Builder.  I've coded a fix and submitted the update to the Chrome Extension Store. It can take up to 24 hours before it is reviewed and published.

https://twitter.com/VeloViewer/status/1420361016551092225

citoyen

« Reply #2208 on: 28 July, 2021, 04:00:34 pm »
Is that the Whitstable Street? How far did you need to wade?

No, that's Long Rock, down at the other end of Tankerton. You can actually get out far enough to get the tile without getting wet at low tide, but I got my timing wrong!

I managed to get the Street on a day when the tide was very low, so hardly got wet at all!

There's a couple of tiles just off the shore at West Beach that I reckon would be gettable on foot when the tide is right out, but I've yet to attempt them. One of them involves walking more than halfway to Sheppey... Tbh, I'm not entirely sure if it's safe to walk on the mud that far out. Maybe I'd be better off getting a kayak.

« Reply #2209 on: 30 July, 2021, 02:54:29 pm »

Looks like a known issue:

There is currently an issue with the VeloViewer Chrome Extension for the integration with the Strava Route Builder.  I've coded a fix and submitted the update to the Chrome Extension Store. It can take up to 24 hours before it is reviewed and published.

https://twitter.com/VeloViewer/status/1420361016551092225

Appears to be fixed now- Brilliant reaction from Ben, yet again.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2210 on: 01 August, 2021, 07:28:32 pm »
Gaudeamus!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2211 on: 02 August, 2021, 01:23:34 am »
Bagged a whopping 1 tile tonight along with a couple of new roads. I had planned to bag a few more by riding over path of condie to dunning and back, but in the end I couldn't be arsed.

The tile I lost by accuracy correction on the dryside still eludes me along with various others in the vicinity that just need me to pootle out on an Mtb.
I will get round to them. Eventually...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2212 on: 02 August, 2021, 08:28:29 am »
Yesterday I rode a DIY 200k to mop up a collection of stray tiles around Lichfield/Rugely/Blithfield Reservoir.  There are lots of tiny lanes in the area and virtually no cars  :thumbsup:

I had originally planned to follow some vague tracks through Bagot's Wood then some dodgy tracks back across Bagot Park but found something online that described it as a permanently wet area so wussed out and circumnavigated it with a few spikes to pick up tiles.

I made up for the lack of 'wet' by taking a different route home that included Spring Lane between Packington and Ravenstone.  It suckers you in as a pleasant lane, then a lovely gravel track but then turned into a quagmire with massive water-filled ruts and the stickiest mud known to mankind.  I guess the clue was in the name.  It might have been fun on a fatbike but not so good on the summer bike!

22 tiles collect and max cluster increased by 61.  It should have been 23 and 66 but I missed one of my spikes so there is still a stray tile that will need collecting.  I have generally set proximity alarms on the spikes but didn't bother for yesterday's ride  ::-)

And as I type - I have just received an email to tell me that the ride has been validated.  It is a good job that I don't include the spikes in my mandatory route DIYs  :)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #2213 on: 02 August, 2021, 10:50:40 pm »
Cycled to and around Denmark during the past few works. Of course that did nothing for my square or cluster but my total amount of tiles increased to 37229 so I moved up to 6th spot in the total amount of tiles ranking. Next rider is nearly 1000 tiles ahead so it'll take some time to catch him.

Great Work Ivo,  :thumbsup: I've been the full length of the UK recently which is helping to fend off that very active Polish chap, keeping me keen.

« Reply #2214 on: 03 August, 2021, 08:35:18 am »
Cycled to and around Denmark during the past few works. Of course that did nothing for my square or cluster but my total amount of tiles increased to 37229 so I moved up to 6th spot in the total amount of tiles ranking. Next rider is nearly 1000 tiles ahead so it'll take some time to catch him.

Great Work Ivo,  :thumbsup: I've been the full length of the UK recently which is helping to fend off that very active Polish chap, keeping me keen.

The Polish chap is indeed riding a lot. Looks like he has 2 places to ride from.
Touring for 1-2 weeks is indeed a good week to gain extra tiles.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2215 on: 05 August, 2021, 11:36:12 pm »
A bit of comedy off-roading and bike 'n' hike increased the max cluster to 1986  :thumbsup: A cock up on the planning front meant that was 5 less than it should have been  :facepalm:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2216 on: 07 August, 2021, 05:17:34 pm »

Yesterday's ride was rather enlivened by my gps doing a factory reset.

Fortunately I've been able to recover the data.

Managed to increase my cluster to 1805. Just 2016 to go to meet my goal for the year.

11211 tiles
Max square 27x27
Max Cluster: 1805

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #2217 on: 10 August, 2021, 10:09:11 am »
For those that haven't seen it an interview with the explorer legend that is Jonathon France.
https://www.strava.com/clubs/279168/posts/17393636

Guessing only Strava users can view it

« Reply #2218 on: 10 August, 2021, 08:31:46 pm »
Everyone here will be using Strava to do their tiling.
Anybody can see post though, you only need to be signed in to Strava to comment.

Interesting read though.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2219 on: 10 August, 2021, 09:09:34 pm »
I did a slightly different tiling ride this week.
I had company, which was a novelty. A fellow tiler who was happy to come and join me to redo some of his local tiles in a quite different way and even on some paths he hadn't ridden. Tiling routes are rarely suitable for non tilers I find. It was also nice to have someone who had a good knowledge of local geography to help tie my more meagre local  knowledge together.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2220 on: 12 August, 2021, 11:41:34 am »
My max square is currently constrained by no - access areas.

I have a cunning plan..

citoyen

« Reply #2221 on: 12 August, 2021, 11:56:22 am »
Excellent! That will be £7 well spent.

« Reply #2222 on: 12 August, 2021, 01:17:28 pm »
Just ride across when the flags are down.

There's even a segment across it: https://www.strava.com/segments/11631662

« Reply #2223 on: 12 August, 2021, 01:51:42 pm »
Just ride across when the flags are down.

There's even a segment across it: https://www.strava.com/segments/11631662
I couldn't find a list of dates when they'd be open? I don't want to head down there and get shot at not be able to ride it.

« Reply #2224 on: 12 August, 2021, 01:54:17 pm »
I thought that afterwards - it took me a few goes to find a clear run, but it's not that far from me.

Usually Sunday afternoons are clear, but it's a pretty active range.