Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 339097 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2275 on: 07 September, 2021, 04:13:56 pm »
There are a few tricky ones in Bodmin Moor that remain.
One in particular would let me go to 22x22, then 3 easy sqaures in Plymouth would get me much more.

I've attempted to get into it 3 times, from 3 directions.
Rather accurately according to Google maps, Newel Tor is permanently closed. 

From the north there is a tarck through a private woodland and I can't find the owner.
Is there anything physically stopping you riding the track? Because if you read about the history of land ownership in the UK and how most of it was acquired by questionable means. You tend to have little sympathy with private signs out in the countryside.

Or can you simply ride the track up and around from the Alpaca farm to the west?
You can visit them to to make enquiries or take an Alpaca for a stroll and then bag a tile whilst you are there.
https://www.alpacatrekkingcornwall.com/
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2276 on: 08 September, 2021, 10:26:01 am »
Camping at Blair Atholl to catch missing tiles on roads then tracks. 87 tiles and 30558 total.

« Reply #2277 on: 08 September, 2021, 12:55:59 pm »
I've attempted to get into it 3 times, from 3 directions. From the north there is a tarck through a private woodland and I can't find the owner. From the East I have got within about 50 yards, after riding (but mostly walking) over more than 2 miles of moorland - to be confronted by an impossible barbed-wire fence (both sides of the fence are on common land, so this is extra frustrating). The easiest route in should be from the South, but the road to the ram there has plenty of 'private' signs; I have written (snaill-mail) to the farm's owners to ask permission but had no reply.
I've yet to try asking at the farms on the west side, but this will be a very steep slope.

I've never asked for permission.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2278 on: 08 September, 2021, 03:31:43 pm »

I'm exploring Finland for the next couple of weeks. It's doing nothing for cluster or square. But doing great on the total tile count. Even better, the number of tile hunters here is low. So a lot of tiles have been bagged by only 1 or 2 people. This should make my ride every tile rare tile score do interesting things...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2279 on: 08 September, 2021, 03:40:04 pm »
Having read the interview who else is now mapping out their name in tiles?? :facepalm:

« Reply #2280 on: 09 September, 2021, 10:28:45 am »
Is the party over for Veloviewer, wonder if its too popular and overloading the system. Had a look to see if i missed any tiles, but Veloviewer never replicated the Strava track in places.

« Reply #2281 on: 09 September, 2021, 10:36:27 am »
Contact Ben at Veloviewer if there are any glitches. He's usually very quick at sorting any problems out, if they are his end.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2282 on: 09 September, 2021, 10:41:47 am »
Contact Ben at Veloviewer if there are any glitches. He's usually very quick at sorting any problems out, if they are his end.

No need IMO issue seems data points spacing. You need to after the update/upload you already did open the individual data ride. Opening the ride uploads the ride again with loads more detail, this can be necessary in the cases where you only just visited a tile and straight lining as clear on both your pictures makes you pass next to it.

« Reply #2283 on: 09 September, 2021, 11:10:13 am »
Thanks , fixed now found out that you need to double click ride in Activities. Is this a case of having to check up for lost /missing tiles due to Veloviewer straight lining out all the little bends. Thats ok when you are cycling thro tiles but not much use if trying to catch tiles that are only visited buy cycling in just enough to trigger a new veloviewer tile on the garmin or phone.

« Reply #2284 on: 09 September, 2021, 07:52:02 pm »
Thanks , fixed now found out that you need to double click ride in Activities. Is this a case of having to check up for lost /missing tiles due to Veloviewer straight lining out all the little bends. Thats ok when you are cycling thro tiles but not much use if trying to catch tiles that are only visited buy cycling in just enough to trigger a new veloviewer tile on the garmin or phone.
It’s not really VeloViewer, it’s Strava. Everyone using the Strava API is allowed to use it a certain number of times per hour and per day. If you ask for “all the user’s rides in this time range” or “the details of this one ride” both of those count as one query - even though you might get 30 rides from the first form. So an API user like VeloViewer needs to use the first form as much as possible, but unfortunately this only gives the “summary” map - ie Strava is sending VeloViewer the “straightened lines”. Then the user notices some tiles are missing and double-clicks the ride - VV then uses the other form of the API - asking Strava about that one ride only - this is costly in terms of using up its API allowance, but worth it because the user really is interested in the detailed map that comes with it. The tiles now get calculated accurately

Hope that helps!

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2285 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:01:19 pm »
Last week I took the inflatable kayak to the Noordoostpolder on two days to bag all the water tiles that might some day limit my square:

The ones on the right were not strictly necessary, you could grab those on land as well, but that would involve some hike-a-bike, cycling over lumpy grassland and avoiding a grumpy farmer ;D Besides, it's just lovely kayaking in the Weerribben (North-East patch), small canals in a peat-bog area:

Then this week it was two long (26km each) trips in the Dollard sea:

The first one (east part) was rather dicey, even though weather conditions were perfect: nice temperature and no wind at all. It turned the sea in a mirror:

What makes the Dollard somewhat problematic is the fact that it isn't really sea, it's land that floods on the high tide. Meaning that low tide most of it falls dry. And if you fall dry, you'll be surrounded by (up to) kilometers of 10-40cm deep very soft, very slimy clay. Forget about getting out of your boat and walking, it's impossible, even for a few meters! So you'll be stuck waiting for the high tide and by that time it will be dark...
There is however a natural gully which meanders from the locks at Nieuwe Statenzijl along the South coast then up North that remains deep enough for a kayak. You'll be peddling surrounded by mud:

And you're be peddling like mad but making slow progress regardless. The water looks very calm in the gully, but when looking at the buoys you could see there is a significant current you have to peddle against.

The second trip was by comparison a walk in the park. I did start with high tide and followed the receding tide all the way to Delfzijl. Combined speed (current, paddling and even a little tailwind) got up to 12 kph!

Overall not an enormous amount of new tiles, but it was very satisfying to bag them. And I'll wager that it will be a while before another person comes along to get these tiles in the Dollard and IJselmeer  :D

« Reply #2286 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:05:46 pm »

even when there's three separate signs saying 'private keep out' along the lane?

« Reply #2287 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:26:19 pm »

even when there's three separate signs saying 'private keep out' along the lane?
What's the worst that can happen? They ask you to leave, you're not moving in. The only time I've ever been caught out was here :

The owners watched me walk across the field towards their house and then told me I couldn't follow the track through their property back to the road, so I walked back the way I'd come. :shrug:

« Reply #2288 on: 11 September, 2021, 03:16:07 pm »
What's the worst that can happen? They ask you to leave, you're not moving in.

Take your point, but the worst that could happen is quite bad... landowners can be very precious about their fields in the same way that motorists can be about their cars.

I’ve had two incidents - once in the South Downs a shooting party saw me riding along a public footpath (not a bridleway) over private land. They decided to shoot a shotgun above my head. Was extremely loud and quite scary. By hand movements they made clear my bike was not welcome.

The second time a lady set their dog chasing after me along a private driveway. The dog was quite aggressive and nipped at my heel. In the moment I decided to keep pedalling and the dog came close to getting caught in my wheel before it relented.

Either incident could’ve turned out worse!

« Reply #2289 on: 11 September, 2021, 05:25:59 pm »
Pretty sure any lawbreaking being done there in both cases was not by the cyclist.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2290 on: 11 September, 2021, 06:02:30 pm »
(UK) You know there's absolutely nothing in law that states you can't ride a bike along a footpath. Or indeed a horse. It's just a classification, to be used as guidance, that predates bicycles anyway.

« Reply #2291 on: 11 September, 2021, 08:52:46 pm »
No to mention many supposed footpaths historically were roads/bridleways etc.
Lots of lazy reclassification and deliberate mistakes were made such as random ends to bridleways at boundaries.
So it's nice to see Cycling UK are being proactive with regard to this.
Some articles here...
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/c129c4f9fb644a94b851949face73249
and here...
https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/what-are-lost-ways-west-kernow-way

How to save trails...
https://www.cyclinguk.org/2026
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2292 on: 12 September, 2021, 09:10:07 pm »
Down in Ayrshire , tracks and back roads between Dalrymple Crosshill and Dalmellington picking up 32 stray tiles.

« Reply #2293 on: 14 September, 2021, 11:57:37 am »
Bloody hell, it's lumpy round Biggin Hill, isn't it? Total of about 500m climbing (according to Strava) in 49km,
That's bang on the average climbing for anywhere around here, Sheffield/Peak District. Sounds odd to get that much climbing darn London Way.
No idea why I stated that figure and even less why I then repeated it in the following conversation.
I think I needed rebooting because climbing around here is actually twice that with 500m per 25km being the average [on road]. Duh!
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2294 on: 14 September, 2021, 06:08:26 pm »
Loved this https://www.strava.com/activities/3145008494 on RideEveryTile Strava Club.  Makes my sea dabblings look pathetic.  Huge respect

« Reply #2295 on: 14 September, 2021, 07:39:36 pm »
Had my own near miss on a tile at the weekend - planned to go around Loch Tay and there was one tile that needs to be accessed off road. I went down a track signed to a farm shop and I went slightly past it but came to a group of people who looked like they were in their front garden.  'fraid to say I bottled it - should have gone down and asked about the farm shop, but without checking my app, I thought I had further to go than I actually did, so turned round...

near miss

A lovely weekend's riding added 69 new tiles, no addition to cluster or likely to be one for some time, without about 25-30 tiles off roading and similar off tracking.

« Reply #2296 on: 15 September, 2021, 12:42:28 pm »
Loved this https://www.strava.com/activities/3145008494 on RideEveryTile Strava Club.  Makes my sea dabblings look pathetic.  Huge respect

There's some great photos... The big crack in the ice looked a bit eeeeeck, though....

« Reply #2297 on: 17 September, 2021, 08:08:28 pm »
Bothy trip Loch and Glen Etive , Glen Coe and back down to North Connel. 36 new tiles  visiting bothies. 

« Reply #2298 on: 17 September, 2021, 10:25:03 pm »
Bothy trip Loch and Glen Etive , Glen Coe and back down to North Connel. 36 new tiles  visiting bothies. 
It's rather nice around there. A friend lived at Aird's bay on Loch Etive some years back so I rode up around the loch on that side during a visit. Long before GPS, so no tiles bagged. I did come face to face with a VERY large stag though. The week before I'd read about an American MTVer being killed by a deer, so was quite glad when he jumped over the enormous fence and off away from path. No idea why this huge metal fence was there, seemed rather incongruous.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2299 on: 19 September, 2021, 10:06:12 am »
  Yes its a good area for biking, the glen has a bucket list tag now due to the Bond film >:(A video of the route from north to south down glen and loch with the annoying adverts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDGSFPAP2Ug