Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144416 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1800 on: 20 September, 2021, 09:54:45 am »
I'm a local legend!

Shows how few people run around here. 2 efforts in 90 days and I'm the local legend  ;D
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1801 on: 24 September, 2021, 11:15:16 am »
I had a run last night! A very stately 5.5 miles to deliver an 11-30 cassette to a friend who is doing a big ride in Wales this weekend. Obviously, I couldn’t take the bike as the chain doesn’t grab the freehub tightly enough;)

« Reply #1802 on: 24 September, 2021, 11:27:23 am »
I wanted to run this morning.  At least, I told myself this yesterday.  What I have discovered recently is that my brane decides that running is not for consecutive days, rather for alternate.

No matter.  I shall run tomorrow morning and Monday morning and Wednesday morning   ...

I am not sure why my brane says SLEEP SLEEP ZLEEP on mornings like today but I can live with it.  😎

My weekly distances will fluctuate but my monthly distances should remain consistent.

« Reply #1803 on: 24 September, 2021, 11:48:14 am »
Back in the office full time now so I think it'll just be running at the weekend for a while. Bit of a shame but there we are.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1804 on: 26 September, 2021, 08:40:41 am »
Week update - 26/08/2021:

So, this is the week when I finally accepted that my body doesn't want to run on consecutive days regardless of how easy the sessions are.  Better for the recovery so they say ...

Anyway, here's my week.

Tuesday:

A regular 8km winding around the local urban landscape.  I include two recreation grounds in this loop and I do enjoy it at this time of year.  The slowly breaking dawn and the lack of streetlights (tory council) combine to provide perhaps the perfect lighting scenario for this bear.  It was a moderately paced run and felt excellent.  I could have extended which made me feel good given that I'd done my 13km run (long for me) only two days previously.

Thursday:

My regular 8km low hr shuffle taking advantage of a local disused railway line rescued by Sustrans and maintained by Sustrans, the local wildlife volunteers and the local authority when grants can be found.  My route also cuts through the grounds of the local crematorium and a "plantation", Millennium Woods.  Another roaring success with the hr well in control and a surprisingly good time against performances recently. 

Friday:

The brane said NO!   OK, this has happened to me too often.  I have surrendered to alternative days.  That fanciful dream of entering one of those ultra runs spread over a number of days has passed.  Erm, 🤣    As if ...

Saturday:

Even whilst doing my warm up walk out I was juggling thoughts between two different sessions.  In the end I chose my intervals which is only 6km but those bursts of raw power (stop laughing at the back) really do hurt at the time.

All went well and I am now looking forward to my longest run of the month in the final few days of September.   This is due tomorrow but at present the weather forecast here is for heavy rain.  Even more tempting for me is that Tuesday is forecast to be a few degrees cooler and also dry which suits me so much better.  I'll report back next Sunday.  🙂

« Reply #1805 on: 26 September, 2021, 05:47:36 pm »
Nice report PB - a positive week from the sound of it. Hope the long run goes well and look forward to the report.

« Reply #1806 on: 26 September, 2021, 07:00:24 pm »
I got out for 12km up to blackcap (lump on the way to Ditchling) and back today. For extra smug I was passed by some cyclists on the way up, and caught them near the top where they’d stopped for a snack.

« Reply #1807 on: 27 September, 2021, 08:54:35 am »
The weather forecast was spot on and we've had almost torrential rain and gale force winds.  It's a baking day now and take it easy other than a decent walk before a 15km in the refreshing air of the coolest morning of the year since May.  😎

« Reply #1808 on: 27 September, 2021, 09:11:22 am »
I'm averaging 2 runs a week. Times are ok (so slow compared to 10 years ago, but, well . . .).

Tendons just don't seem to be toughening up. It is 2 runs a week because I have sore achilles after each run.

Overdid it on Fri. 8km run in morning, very pleasant, fairly windy (20-30mph).

Then 8km in the kayak in the evening. Conditions looked so nice, I couldn't resist.

Sore tired legs on Sat!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1809 on: 27 September, 2021, 10:00:10 am »
Ddi my first organised run yesterday - Corsham 10k.  Wasn't sure what to expect as I'm an "occasional" runner and fit runs in around cycling - once or twice a week.

This was the first time I've run with others.  There were about 1000 participants and it was a bit like PBP with lots of spectators lining the route and shouting encouragement. 

About half way round I felt a recurring lower calf injury, which got slowly worse until the last 2k when it became a sharp pain.  Ordinarily I would have stopped, but as I'd cycled 100m the day before to get there I pushed on ::-)

Managed a time of 45.58 which put me 4th in age category and 140th overall.  I've been hobbling ever since- no running for me for a while  ;)
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #1810 on: 27 September, 2021, 10:23:21 am »
Ddi my first organised run yesterday - Corsham 10k.  Wasn't sure what to expect as I'm a "occasional" runner and fit runs in around cycling - once or twice a week.

This was the first time I've run with others.  There were about 1000 participants and it was a bit like PBP with lots of spectators lining the route and shouting encouragement. 

About half way round I felt a recurring lower calf injury, which got slowly worse until the last 2k when it became a sharp pain.  Ordinarily I would have stopped, but as I'd cycled 100m the day before to get there I pushed on ::-)

Managed a time of 45.58 which put me 4th in age category and 140th overall.  I've been hobbling ever since- no running for me for a while  ;)
That is pretty respectable. Congrats
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1811 on: 27 September, 2021, 05:49:43 pm »
Ddi my first organised run yesterday - Corsham 10k.  Wasn't sure what to expect as I'm an "occasional" runner and fit runs in around cycling - once or twice a week.

Well done!!

What’s your age category? (If you don’t mind - Asking for a ‘friend’)

Mike

« Reply #1812 on: 28 September, 2021, 07:40:56 am »
Nice report PB - a positive week from the sound of it. Hope the long run goes well and look forward to the report.

The long run (15km) went very well thank you.   😊  👍

Report later today after breakfast, shower, etc.

« Reply #1813 on: 28 September, 2021, 10:38:31 am »
So, that 15km run...

I decided yesterday to rise early and for the first time wear a headtorch whilst running.  I bought the headtorch primarily for running but had then shied away from running in the dark.  In my head it's just safer in daylight.

I slept fitfully and finally slid out of bed around 4a.m. and got on with preparations.  Hydration, stretching and generally faffing as I do.  I was also feeling quite negative and was on the verge of just going for an 8k but once I left the house at about 4:55a.m. I suddenly felt invigorated.  I walked briskly for 15 minutes to my planned start point and was off.

The road where I started was well lit which gave me time to adjust the tilt of the headtorch a  couple of times to get it where I wanted it.  After about 0.5km I turned off the main road and slid effortlessly into the dark, unlit streets of residential Rugby waking from it's slumbers and gently creaking into action.   I found the middle setting of the headtorch was all that I needed and I also found a sweet spot on the beam angle giving me good close illumination but picking out reflectives a good 200 metres away. 

I was shocked at the speed of my first km as I was very consciously not gunning it but my hr looked nicely settled and it felt fine so I allowed myself to carry on as I was. 

The heavy cloud hid the otherwise bright moon and I was glad of the headtorch as the kms rolled of beneath my feet.  I was aware at 10kms that my pace was still quicker than I had expected but again hr was on the lower than expected side and I was feeling good so I just carried on.  At this point I was entering a wooded section which would be the darkest segment of the run.  No problems for the headtorch though and I was through there and out onto open recreation ground paths before I'd really thought about it.

Last week I did a 13k and I noted as I passed through 13k this week that I was in fact ahead of schedule.  This surprised and pleased me but I was now fighting with my guts which had decided to process last night's vegetarian curry and I was feeling uncomfortable.  A weave through another recreation ground and out into open roads and the final 1500 metres.  I tried hard to ignore the stomach churning and pushed on to complete the 15k in nearly 2 minutes less than I had expected.  YAY !!!

Miraculously my guts had settled down so I included in my cool down walk the next 1k for reference so I know where the 16km finishes in a few weeks time.  😊

Very pleased with my gradual ramping up of the long run.  Other than the curry guts today's run went entirely to plan and the outcomes were even better than hoped for with the headtorch experiment icing the cake. 

I'll put a note here to remind me to talk about knee and foot niggles in my weekly update.

« Reply #1814 on: 28 September, 2021, 10:51:28 am »
Well done!!

Mike

60 - 70 category, so being 66 I'm pretty happy with that.  Only beaten by some comparative youngsters - probably  ;D

On the downside the calf is still pretty sore.  Don't think it's anything serious and a few days off should sort it out.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #1815 on: 28 September, 2021, 11:19:08 am »
Well done!!

Mike

60 - 70 category, so being 66 I'm pretty happy with that.  Only beaten by some comparative youngsters - probably  ;D

On the downside the calf is still pretty sore.  Don't think it's anything serious and a few days off should sort it out.

Very good going - we’ll done! Hopefully your calf will recover quickly - niggles to listen to!

Mike

« Reply #1816 on: 28 September, 2021, 11:19:56 am »
So, that 15km run...

I decided yesterday to rise early and for the first time wear a headtorch whilst running.  I bought the headtorch primarily for running but had then shied away from running in the dark.  In my head it's just safer in daylight.

I slept fitfully and finally slid out of bed around 4a.m. and got on with preparations.  Hydration, stretching and generally faffing as I do.  I was also feeling quite negative and was on the verge of just going for an 8k but once I left the house at about 4:55a.m. I suddenly felt invigorated.  I walked briskly for 15 minutes to my planned start point and was off.

The road where I started was well lit which gave me time to adjust the tilt of the headtorch a  couple of times to get it where I wanted it.  After about 0.5km I turned off the main road and slid effortlessly into the dark, unlit streets of residential Rugby waking from it's slumbers and gently creaking into action.   I found the middle setting of the headtorch was all that I needed and I also found a sweet spot on the beam angle giving me good close illumination but picking out reflectives a good 200 metres away. 

I was shocked at the speed of my first km as I was very consciously not gunning it but my hr looked nicely settled and it felt fine so I allowed myself to carry on as I was. 

The heavy cloud hid the otherwise bright moon and I was glad of the headtorch as the kms rolled of beneath my feet.  I was aware at 10kms that my pace was still quicker than I had expected but again hr was on the lower than expected side and I was feeling good so I just carried on.  At this point I was entering a wooded section which would be the darkest segment of the run.  No problems for the headtorch though and I was through there and out onto open recreation ground paths before I'd really thought about it.

Last week I did a 13k and I noted as I passed through 13k this week that I was in fact ahead of schedule.  This surprised and pleased me but I was now fighting with my guts which had decided to process last night's vegetarian curry and I was feeling uncomfortable.  A weave through another recreation ground and out into open roads and the final 1500 metres.  I tried hard to ignore the stomach churning and pushed on to complete the 15k in nearly 2 minutes less than I had expected.  YAY !!!

Miraculously my guts had settled down so I included in my cool down walk the next 1k for reference so I know where the 16km finishes in a few weeks time.  😊

Very pleased with my gradual ramping up of the long run.  Other than the curry guts today's run went entirely to plan and the outcomes were even better than hoped for with the headtorch experiment icing the cake. 

I'll put a note here to remind me to talk about knee and foot niggles in my weekly update.

What a delight and inspiration to read this PB - well done. Nice to head out a bit negative and pick up so much:)

« Reply #1817 on: 30 September, 2021, 01:08:18 pm »
I awoke to heavy rain and felt nothing but a desire to slide back beneath the warm duvet and drift back into the world of sleep.  A run in torrential rain certainly didn't appeal and, as previously written by me in these pages, once a run is lost I tend not to get out later in the day.

However and for the second time recently a window of opportunity opened up just after 10:00am as the rain abated so I changed into my running kit, stretched a little then ventured out.  In my schedule was the low hr run along the old railway and as expected there were many puddles to splash through and much mud to squelch in but in spite of this I ran with a smile on my face and lightness in my legs.  The run went without incident and I once again met my target pace without tripping my upper hr limit.  Another successful run.

To cap it all the rain began to gently fall on my cool down walk but remained light until after I had returned home. 

A pleasing end to a very successful September.  🙂

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1818 on: 02 October, 2021, 11:08:20 pm »
Evening all. Please forgive me if I don’t feed the umpteen pages I’ve missed.
I just thought I’d pop in and say that I’m thinking I might try and restart. You know, now the best weather is behind us, as if all the struggles of getting out again weren’t enough. But I’m scared. I’ve gained a few pounds so it’s going to be harder, but I’m probably no heavier than I was when I started this thread. However, although I now know what I can achieve, I also know the trials and tribulations I’ll suffer along the way. If I’d thought this a week ago, maybe I could have tried for a red October, so maybe it’s as well I’ve missed that boat because RED is probably not the best way to start.

I’ll try not to drag you all down with my negativity.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1819 on: 03 October, 2021, 09:08:11 am »
It will be great to see you back Beardy.  I have at times felt alone although I know that there are others still regularly treading the highways and byways in pursuit of something mysterious and not fully understood.

Weekly update - 03/10/2021:

Tuesday was the planned long run and I have reported upthread about this.  15k with a start almost two hours before sunrise and the first deployment of a heatorch when running.  I have the Pearl Iko Core and although it looks a bit overly-thought out it is in fact lightweight, easy to get a stable and comfy fit and the removable, rechargeable battery easy lasted nearly two hours. 

I have also reported on Thursday upthread.  I thought that the rain had stolen my low hr run but a window of opportunity opened and I went for it.  8.2k and a new feeling that at last I am beginning to feel like a runner and not just a pavement plodder.

Saturday:  Intervals in the plan.  Out before sunrise and felt the cool chill on my bare arms and legs today.  Streetlights seemed to come on in back streets as I walked to my start point and then shuffled off.  The first k was slower than usual but I dismissed this from my mind and just focused on the interval sets ahead.  Come the end I found that I had put in another average performance in a week when I had also wrung a long run out of the legs.  6k

29.2k for the week.  Happy with that.  I also noted that I have already passed 100 runs for the year.  Quite pleased with that too.  👍

« Reply #1820 on: 03 October, 2021, 11:00:24 am »
I have been plodding away regularly, so nothing really to report.
MrsC expects me to be out three mornings a week, plus a longer run on Sundays, and plans things around that, so I have an incentive.
I don't have a lot of choice when it comes to routes and I'm not training for anything so you'd all get bored if I reported every run.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1821 on: 03 October, 2021, 10:38:59 pm »
I haven't run for a while, probably 6 or 8 weeks or so off. I had two weeks of sea kayaking in Anglesey, one in July and one in August, and each involved 5 days of 10-15km paddling.  For the rest it's mostly been taking the opportunity to ride the trike before the poor weather sets in properly.

Anyway, today I ran my habitual route to the local park and back.  Nothing special, not trying too hard, although as usual I set off too quickly and had to actively force myself to slow down. The problem is pacing, again. Despite myself I managed to do the run in 41:32, which is the fastest I have ever done it.  So whilst that's not fast, it's fast for me.

Keeping on keeping on...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #1822 on: 04 October, 2021, 02:23:30 pm »
It's good to read that folk are getting out. 

I have reached the point 20 months in from starting C25K in January 2020 that I finally feel like I am a runner again.  I say again because in the eighties and early nineties I was a marathon runner.  I love the solitude that running brings me and enjoy feeling fitter and stronger just because I run a bit.

I found the London marathon yesterday to be very inspirational just as I find folk posting here of their running exploits inspirational.  I don't know why this is but I'd really love to get back to marathonning or even beyond Into ultras.

« Reply #1823 on: 06 October, 2021, 09:00:30 am »
All good to hear. I’m still a bit on/off with running due to ongoing but much reduced plantar fasciitis problems. As long as I do the exercises I seem able to cope with a couple of days a week ok. But I had a week off and now I’m building it back up.

A colleague ran London in 2:37:xx on Sunday - the only consolation is that he’s 10 years younger than me! He’s off to do a 50 miler next weekend and a 100 miler the following!

PB - ultra has a lot of appeal. De Mekon also has headed in that direction.

« Reply #1824 on: 07 October, 2021, 07:59:54 am »
Trouble is that with my pace I'll keep missing the cutoffs.  I can only hope that my progress in the next 12 months includes speed as well as distance.  My training regime includes speedwork (fast and slow!) now so hopefully...