Author Topic: Injuries and discomfort  (Read 18093 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Injuries and discomfort
« Reply #25 on: 28 August, 2019, 05:57:32 pm »
My neck muscles went at 1050Km and had to deal with that till the end. Also have numb hands and toes/balls of feet.

Something I wonder is whether riders do enough neck strength work; race drivers in training build up their neck muscles so that they can deal with the weight of their head+helmet in the conditions encountered in a race car.

The most basic version of this I've seen described was David Coulthard lying on the floor in front of the telly with his helmet on, raising his head while lying on his left side for a while and then switching over.

While cycling doesn't require you to be able to keep your head under control when it's weighing 5 to 8 times it's mass on a number of axes, being able to hold it up at angles that allow you to see does seem to me to be part of training required.
Note: I've never suffered from neck problems while cycling and the closest I do to training my neck is hold the head in front of a computer screen all day.

discomforts:
My dodgy right ankle is a bit worse than normal, I tweaked it while wandering around the Bergerie in SPD-SL shoes on SAturday.
Hands, my hands were fine until I swapped into my "night" gloves; I'll be disposing of them and switching to a selection of Altura classic styled gloves now.
Feet, despite the late change to new shoes my feet hardly suffered, there was some size change with swelling though, and my wider (but shorter) right foot suffered from being squeezed in a shoe that became too narrow, and my longer but narrower foot suffered from being squeezed in a shoe that's too short.
Which is some amount of swelling.

other than that general aches and pains from sleeping on floors, tables and under trees that dissappeared after a rest.

« Reply #26 on: 28 August, 2019, 08:43:23 pm »
This time my PBP did not go to plan. My first knowledge of this was waking in the hospital in Mayenne on Friday. Apparently my rear tyre went bang somewhere around Villaines on the return at about 1005 kns. According to a witness unfortunately this happened while I was going at 60km per hour on a sweeping right handed descent and I lost control. Concussion and small skull fracture, a fracture to inner right ear bones, a couple of broken ribs and road rash. No memories of it at all or of the following 24 hours. Hoping to be discharged after great care provided by French health care staff on 30th August. Still discussing if medical repatriation is necessary.

The first time I have had such a proper scare, and am left feeling lucky I am still around! A lot of UK, French and German cyclists have offered support, which has been very touching and brought a tear to my eye more than once.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

« Reply #27 on: 28 August, 2019, 08:50:34 pm »
Ouch! Sorry to hear it.

Hope you heal well and get well soon.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #28 on: 28 August, 2019, 09:03:24 pm »
My 6th PBP...
Numb 3.5 digits in both hands (pinkie going towards forefinger); acute lower back pain when the accelerations occurred on the A-Group (quite a waste of effort and energy). No saddle issues (apart from pressure) and no sores. Had a change of bibshorts, socks and mitts at Loudeac on the way back.
And the numbness is getting better now!

« Reply #29 on: 28 August, 2019, 10:19:46 pm »
Over the past few days my feet have become more tingly, does anyone have suggestions for wider footwear - I currently use giro spd shoes, but I think that I might benefit from something a bit more spacious.

Martyn

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

« Reply #30 on: 28 August, 2019, 11:59:52 pm »
SPD sandals ...

Socks are optional.

« Reply #31 on: 29 August, 2019, 06:21:55 am »
Over the past few days my feet have become more tingly, does anyone have suggestions for wider footwear - I currently use giro spd shoes, but I think that I might benefit from something a bit more spacious.

Martyn

I wore dhb mtb SPD shoes. They are wide fitting and were comfortable throughout. I also have similar SPD SL road shoes that I had planned on using, but the pedal bearings went on two pairs of Shimano pedals so I reverted back to old SPD ones for reliability and comfort walking round at controls.

paul851

« Reply #32 on: 29 August, 2019, 06:38:49 am »
This time my PBP did not go to plan. My first knowledge of this was waking in the hospital in Mayenne on Friday. Apparently my rear tyre went bang somewhere around Villaines on the return at about 1005 kns. According to a witness unfortunately this happened while I was going at 60km per hour on a sweeping right handed descent and I lost control. Concussion and small skull fracture, a fracture to inner right ear bones, a couple of broken ribs and road rash. No memories of it at all or of the following 24 hours. Hoping to be discharged after great care provided by French health care staff on 30th August. Still discussing if medical repatriation is necessary.

The first time I have had such a proper scare, and am left feeling lucky I am still around! A lot of UK, French and German cyclists have offered support, which has been very touching and brought a tear to my eye more than once.

Bloody hell  :o Heal quickly and hope you get home soon.

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
« Reply #33 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:02:46 am »

That's awful, I hope you recover quickly and there are no long term injuries.

« Reply #34 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:06:52 am »
All the best for a quick recovery, Kev!

« Reply #35 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:15:48 am »

Kev

good to see you post this, we've been worried about you.

Stuart
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:28:07 am »

Sorry I couldn't be more help when contacted by your Mrs, as I was then riding to Dieppe, having dumped all possibly useful PBP/ACP paperwork with a mate to return by car. Glad you survived and are on the mend!

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #37 on: 29 August, 2019, 09:09:12 am »

Martyn

Lake shoes in a wide fitting

« Reply #38 on: 29 August, 2019, 11:47:39 am »
Two accidents for me this year - hit small marble kerb just after Loudeac, dislocated small finger right hand and damage to left hand, snapped off rear mech hangar. Fixed bike and continued
Then at top of descent before Montagne at 0200hrs, about 1075km , am off bike, bent down to pick something up and didn't see metal rod sticking out of pavement. Hit me in the eye. Glasses took brunt of impact but lost vision for sometime. Amazingly and thankfully - one rider stopped to see if I was OK. And we knew each other from the TransAtlanticWay earlier this year. I haven't named the rider from the Bristol Area - a very modest man but a true Randonneur and absolute Saint. Ambulance called, checked over and allowed to continue. An equally thorough check by paramedics at Montagne and given a permit to continue. Made the finish in 89hrs 20minutes - phew
Operation yesterday (in the UK) on little finger and metal rod inserted to stabilise.. hands wrecked as being unable to hold bars properly left me with severe pins and needles
A few weeks off bike needed but delighted to finish

« Reply #39 on: 29 August, 2019, 02:07:07 pm »
Only problem is a sore rear . Only happens on PBP as it was the same 4 years ago when an open sore was leaking quite impressively into my civvy shorts after a shower at the velodrome . It seems that riding over 24 hours in one go to Brest this time/ to Carhaix on the way back last time, is just too much for my delicate posterior-as no problems on LEL or other 1000kms plus rides. About OK now but still a bit sore. But there again managed to ride back on the Friday and Saturday with the help of some magic cream containing  a mild anaesthetic which I was very generously given by one of my housemates.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #40 on: 29 August, 2019, 02:54:46 pm »
Well slightly sore bums and tingly fingers sort of pale into insignificance when tubbycyclist and David27 come along with their tales! 

Heal well and get back on the road when you're good and ready
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #41 on: 29 August, 2019, 03:05:21 pm »
During the last stage my lower back was a bit achey and tingly but apart from that zero problems
I must have had a cold brewing all the way round.  I thought it was hayfever until I got on the ferry home.  This explains my lack luste performance.  Great excuse :)

JJ

« Reply #42 on: 29 August, 2019, 06:31:40 pm »
Sorry to hear your tale of woe TubbyCyclist, but glad you're more or less in one piece.  Hope you get back home soon.

Lack of miles this year led to minor problems with the contact points.  I had blisters on both hands, and by the finish was ready to burn my saddle.  Sore feet and sore neck seemed to clear themselves up as I rode, and overall I finished in better nick than when I was fitter.  Go figure.

« Reply #43 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:49:24 pm »
Sorry to read about your incident tubbycyclist - it’s put my sore backside and numb fingers into perspective. Hope you heal well & are back on the road soon.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #44 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:11:18 am »
On the subject of numb fingers: I've got prominent numbness now in ulnar nerve distribution (little fingers both hands) and I know this is a really common problem. To be honest it has been a problem for a while, but it's quite a lot worse after PBP. Has anyone found a good way to mitigate this? Obviously decent gloves, bar tape, bike fit are all important; aero bars might be a good way forward but the short stubby ones I used for PBP were only useable for short distances. Another thought I've had is trying flared handlebars to see if this puts less pressure on - I wonder if people have had any success with this?
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #45 on: 30 August, 2019, 02:06:00 pm »
On the subject of numb fingers: I've got prominent numbness now in ulnar nerve distribution (little fingers both hands) and I know this is a really common problem. To be honest it has been a problem for a while, but it's quite a lot worse after PBP. Has anyone found a good way to mitigate this? Obviously decent gloves, bar tape, bike fit are all important; aero bars might be a good way forward but the short stubby ones I used for PBP were only useable for short distances. Another thought I've had is trying flared handlebars to see if this puts less pressure on - I wonder if people have had any success with this?

I've mentioned it many times over the years in various places how to prevent numb fingers etc. The way to hold the handlebars is to not to use all your fingers wrapped around the bar with the palm pressing on the bar, but to just wrap one, two or three fingers over the bars with the others behind the bars, this will prevent any pressure whatsoever on the palms of the hands as they will not be resting on the bars. The handhold is solid.. I have done this for years now and never suffered any numbness. But, do not do this if you are in close proximity with others or any other reason why you may have to suddenly break unless you are covering a brake with one hand. As I rode PBP mainly on my whole, I used this method all the time and suffered no ill effects, mainly I use just the index or middle finger over the bar or both of them.

But it does take some getting used to but eventually you start doing it habitually.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #46 on: 30 August, 2019, 02:11:37 pm »

I've mentioned it many times over the years in various places how to prevent numb fingers etc. The way to hold the handlebars is to not to use all your fingers wrapped around the bar with the palm pressing on the bar, but to just wrap one, two or three fingers over the bars with the others behind the bars, this will prevent any pressure whatsoever on the palms of the hands as they will not be resting on the bars. The handhold is solid.. I have done this for years now and never suffered any numbness. But, do not do this if you are in close proximity with others or any other reason why you may have to suddenly break unless you are covering a brake with one hand. As I rode PBP mainly on my whole, I used this method all the time and suffered no ill effects, mainly I use just the index or middle finger over the bar or both of them.

But it does take some getting used to but eventually you start doing it habitually.

Thanks, that makes sense. I’ve experimented with how best to hold the bar but not tried that. I’ll give it a go.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #47 on: 30 August, 2019, 06:28:30 pm »
I used gel pads under thickish bar tape and my hands are absolutely fine (they were a mess after LEL with just thin bar tape). I wish the same could be said of my feet!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #48 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:40:22 pm »
THINK about your ulnar nerves and get ALL pressure off them at regular intervals.
Waggle your hand around whilst riding as much as possible.

Padding and gel will reduce pressure on the nerve but you really need to allow its blood vessels to function too.

Try not to exceed an hour on the bars; Getting hands off for a minute every ten minutes might be an idea.

By the time you notice numbness/weakness some damage has been done.

Weakness and numbness may develop independently.

« Reply #49 on: 31 August, 2019, 06:14:35 pm »
Still anyone with numb hands , look at the benefit's,  it will feel like someone else is doing it for you :thumbsup: :demon: