Author Topic: Tandem Shopping  (Read 13466 times)

Tandem Shopping
« on: 19 January, 2020, 07:14:01 pm »
Excited to be off tandem shopping next weekend.  Booked in for sizings and test rides ad JD and the Tandem shop.  :thumbsup:

Re: Tandem Shopping
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2020, 10:22:57 am »
Excited to be off tandem shopping next weekend.  Booked in for sizings and test rides ad JD and the Tandem shop.  :thumbsup:

I thought you already had one or two?

I've always fancied a shot on one but with my hearing problems communication would be a big problem.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2020, 11:11:24 am »

I've always fancied a shot on one but with my hearing problems communication would be a big problem.

There are plenty of ways to develop tandem teamwork that don't involve audible communication. It might take a little practice is all.

We (fboab and me) don't generally need to talk about the running of the bike so much; beyond me shouting "Hole!" or requests like "Stand?" or "Coast" - so you could easily develop some hand/touch signals for those instances - I don't think hearing issues need be an obstacle for tandem riding.

Sorry to hijack your thread, sg!

« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2020, 12:17:29 pm »

One.   It was sized to be a compromise for my wife and when the kids were small. But its evident now that it was too much of a compromise.
Its very cramped in terms of reach at the back, and not much we can do there.
You don't want to buy a nice thorn raven twin do you ?  :)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #4 on: 20 January, 2020, 12:31:52 pm »
I have a Thorn Raven Large-Large going begging - SWMBO no longer wants to ride it....
800km on the clock and in good condition - Tons of room on back and front. We are 6'3" and 6'0" tall respectively.
I love it but it is a little big to cycle it alone...  ;D

Its even got S&S couplers to make it fit.....

« Reply #5 on: 20 January, 2020, 12:44:10 pm »

One.   It was sized to be a compromise for my wife and when the kids were small. But its evident now that it was too much of a compromise.

Can you Zwift on it?  :P
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #6 on: 20 January, 2020, 12:54:59 pm »
 ;D :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 20 January, 2020, 01:05:02 pm »
We (fboab and me) don't generally need to talk about the running of the bike so much; beyond me shouting "Hole!" or requests like "Stand?" or "Coast" - so you could easily develop some hand/touch signals for those instances - I don't think hearing issues need be an obstacle for tandem riding.

Not on a tandem[1], but when we cycle, we tend to have simplex audio from me to barakta (direct radio link to her hearing aid, but I can't hear her from behind over wind/car noise), and she responds via hand signals and head movements.  That generally works for the sort of communication we need on a bike: "Left up ahead.", "Trim your front mech!", "Watch out for that massive hole!", "Car down wants to turn right.", "Everything okay?", "Slow down a bit", "See you at the top of the hill.", "Oh, FFS, stop antagonising the geese!" etc.

If it gets much more complicated than yes/no answers, we tend to pull over for a chat.

[1] Common sense prevailed when that ICE tandem came up.

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2020, 07:50:07 pm »

Can you Zwift on it?  :P

If it has appropriately sized rear wheel of course you can.

« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2020, 08:38:15 pm »
After a great day at JD Tandems we ordered an Orbit Sapphire after we were really impressed by it on the test run. 2 couplers for ease of transport, but pretty much standard spec apart from that.  3 - 4 month lead time though.

« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2020, 01:54:36 pm »
Just heard that its delayed indefinitely due to the framebuilder closing.   However we took them up on their offer of putting our bits on a 2nd hand frame to give us the summer, and then swapping to our frame when its available.    :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2020, 02:08:14 pm »
Just heard that its delayed indefinitely due to the framebuilder closing.   However we took them up on their offer of putting our bits on a 2nd hand frame to give us the summer, and then swapping to our frame when its available.    :thumbsup:

John and Ruth are, as always, incredibly good at solving all sorts of problems!

« Reply #12 on: 13 April, 2020, 12:18:07 pm »
So sorry to hear that.  In a way it wasn't unexpected though.  Any idea when you can collect your temporary solution?

We were lucky that we squeezed in our visit at the last moment before the shutters came down on travel.

I hope you mean that Bob Jackson's is closing for the lockdown and not permanently.

Russell

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13 on: 13 April, 2020, 12:27:50 pm »
So sorry to hear that.  In a way it wasn't unexpected though.  Any idea when you can collect your temporary solution?

We were lucky that we squeezed in our visit at the last moment before the shutters came down on travel.

I hope you mean that Bob Jackson's is closing for the lockdown and not permanently.

Russell

Temporary I think:
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause our customers and hope to be back up and running as soon as is possible. We will remove this notice once we can open for business again. Sorry & Please Stay Safe
(from Bob Jackson's website)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14 on: 13 April, 2020, 12:43:40 pm »
Yes, I could have been clearer:  Bob Jackson closing for the lockdown, not permanently.  We can't go to collect the temp bike, it will be couriered.  Hopefully when the restrictions lift and BJ is up an running again we will be able to go down and pick up the new bike in person. The doesn't seem atypical for JD, to work to provide a solution for customers from everything I've read. They seem great people to deal with.

« Reply #15 on: 11 June, 2020, 03:58:53 pm »
Heard yesterday Bob Jackson is back at work and our frame could be ready by the end of the month  :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2020, 11:27:30 am »
Heard yesterday Bob Jackson is back at work and our frame could be ready by the end of the month  :thumbsup:

Woohoo!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #17 on: 26 June, 2020, 09:50:32 am »

Good news!  You will soon be joining the club of Summit owners.  Did you go for Orbit branding?

How is the temporary frame working out?

R

« Reply #18 on: 26 June, 2020, 11:41:27 pm »
Having the temp / loaner frame has been brilliant during this spell of great weather.  We are really grateful to JD for providing this. We've been out twice a week since we got it.

I dont know about orbit branding tbh. I didnt know it was an option.  Its an orbit sapphire frame, I expect it'll come with orbit decals. On the fancy metallic purple frame. With couplers.  ;D :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 27 June, 2020, 11:24:15 am »
We were offered either what Ruth called 'modern' Orbit branding or 'more traditional looking' Bob Jackson branding.  We went Orbit in flam red with couplers.  Eyeing up red cars when we are out to see what paint most closely matches, we think Mazda is a close match.

« Reply #20 on: 27 June, 2020, 09:54:34 pm »
It will be good to hear how the Sapphire compares to your Thorn tandem once you have it.

We've actually just this morning booked a few days on a campsite near Skipton for next month so a ride over to JD will definitely have to happen if they are operating normally be then.   

« Reply #21 on: 04 July, 2020, 11:14:11 am »
Just had it confirmed that our frame is in the shop and we're going to go get it next weekend.  Can't wait to get it.  We'll also find out if its modern or traditional branding.  I'd opt for traditional though.

It will be good to hear how the Sapphire compares to your Thorn tandem once you have it.

The main difference will be to the length of it: The stoker reach was short on our thorn raven twin, which we got as an interim solution for when our boys were small.  I'll report on how it feels once we've got it.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #22 on: 06 July, 2020, 02:38:14 pm »
Woo, that's exciting!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #23 on: 12 July, 2020, 10:37:58 pm »
Got home last night and had some stuff on today so just squeezed in a wee run to the end of the glen and back first thing.  It rides beautifully - it certainly feels a bit more spritely than the Lightning frame we were riding.  We have some time off now so planning to get away for a few day trips.

LRG_DSC00941 by sg310, on Flickr

LRG_DSC00947 by sg310, on Flickr

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24 on: 13 July, 2020, 08:16:04 am »
Beautiful - congrats!  I wish I could get MrsT onto one, but she never had a bike as a kid and flinches at traffic.

Hope you've got some good locks. Chums of mine just used cables and had a 6000€ job nicked in Strasbourg a couple of years back.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight