Author Topic: Mid-Essex and the Rest of the World Epiphany - 2023 edition  (Read 26910 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex and the Rest of the World Epiphany - Saturday 8th January 2022
« Reply #100 on: 04 January, 2022, 11:05:37 am »
I’ve managed to pick up covid, so I’m an unknown for Saturday now.

Oh bugger!  :'(

In other news, we need an alternate lunchtime venue.  Ideas / preferences?

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #101 on: 04 January, 2022, 11:06:51 am »
Hope everyone is well... I plan to be there for the evening at the Compasses, and was considering getting my RRTY ride done beforehand, but the weather isn't looking great, so may just ride over.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #102 on: 04 January, 2022, 12:24:19 pm »
Cunning Plan Update...
Lunch is now at the Queens Head, Boreham  :thumbsup:  Which the more enlightened of you will know isn't very far from Witham but we need to take a fair chunk of the morning to ride to via the coffee stop at Butt's Green.  Expect the published route to be amended with some twists and turns  ;D

I need to know as a matter of some urgency whether you can make it for lunch.  For those who don't know, the QH has outdoor semi-heated seating options and there is ample bike parking.

Also I would urge anybody planning on joining this year's Epiphany Extravaganza to lateral flow test yourself before turning up.  As organiser I don't want any snotty phone calls from Sir Chris Whitty next week.

« Reply #103 on: 04 January, 2022, 01:02:47 pm »
I’ve managed to pick up covid, so I’m an unknown for Saturday now.

Oh no ... wishing you a swift recovery

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #104 on: 04 January, 2022, 01:25:01 pm »
Also I would urge anybody planning on joining this year's Epiphany Extravaganza to lateral flow test yourself before turning up.  As organiser I don't want any snotty phone calls from Sir Chris Whitty next week.

Actually, I think I'm going to pull out. A few people I know have caught it and it has come to my attention that my dad is more worried about it than I thought and I don't want to be the one to pass it on to him. So yeah, I'm gunna play it safe...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #105 on: 04 January, 2022, 01:30:04 pm »
I'm 25/75 at the moment, erring towards the not attending. 
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #106 on: 04 January, 2022, 01:41:36 pm »
Commisserations to those ill/uncertain/isolating.

I hope to be there for the full day of tortuous wiggly routes, exploring unknown dead-end roads etc.

« Reply #107 on: 04 January, 2022, 01:43:38 pm »
I'm about 10/90

It's not C19 concerns, it's just a feeling it will not be quite like it should be with so few attending (I realise I am not helping), being outdoors all day and evening before camping, LFTs, etc

That said, after a few days back at work, I might be looking for some entertainment.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #108 on: 04 January, 2022, 01:44:15 pm »
Here's a NEW ROUTE for Saturday taking into account our revised lunch stop.  Hopefully there are still a goodly number of swimming opportunities for jiber  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #109 on: 04 January, 2022, 01:59:05 pm »
OK, I hear folk's concerns, what I don't want to do is mess around The Compasses and Queen's Head.

I've just had a chat with Tomsk who is looking after the ACME awards side of things and we think it might be worth giving people until Thursday evening to decide what they want to do and decide whether the event will go ahead or not.  Therefore we will be able to give our venues 24 hours notice of cancellation.

What do we think?

« Reply #110 on: 04 January, 2022, 02:12:02 pm »
OK, I hear folk's concerns, what I don't want to do is mess around The Compasses and Queen's Head.

I've just had a chat with Tomsk who is looking after the ACME awards side of things and we think it might be worth giving people until Thursday evening to decide what they want to do and decide whether the event will go ahead or not.  Therefore we will be able to give our venues 24 hours notice of cancellation.

What do we think?
Think that makes sense and is very fair.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #111 on: 04 January, 2022, 05:10:41 pm »
Me again...

Just spoken the the QH at Boreham and they are fine with me either confirming numbers or cancelling on Friday morning.  They did mention that the covered semi outdoor area where we have sat on a Wednesday evening is now fully enclosed so warmer but still well ventilated so might be a safer option than being in their restaurant.

« Reply #112 on: 04 January, 2022, 08:48:16 pm »
Me again...

Just spoken the the QH at Boreham and they are fine with me either confirming numbers or cancelling on Friday morning.  They did mention that the covered semi outdoor area where we have sat on a Wednesday evening is now fully enclosed so warmer but still well ventilated so might be a safer option than being in their restaurant.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #113 on: 05 January, 2022, 09:26:17 am »
OK, PCR came back positive last night, so days 6 & 7 will be Thu and Fri for me. Fingers crossed for a negative LF test both those days and I will be able to make the celebrations. :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #114 on: 05 January, 2022, 09:29:14 am »
OK, PCR came back positive last night, so days 6 & 7 will be Thu and Fri for me. Fingers crossed for a negative LF test both those days and I will be able to make the celebrations. :thumbsup:

Top banana  :thumbsup:

« Reply #115 on: 05 January, 2022, 10:09:12 am »
What do we think?

I'm up for the meal at the Compasses in a ventilated place.

I'm inclined to forego the daytime activities at this time ... I have urgent work to my garage that must be completed this weekend which would benefit from an extra day being available (the roofers come in during next week), plus the prospect of a damp ride and semi-outdoor stops is not too appealing.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #116 on: 05 January, 2022, 10:13:02 am »
Noted, thanks for the response.

Oscar's dad

UPDATE, PLEASE READ...
Epiphany got discussed yesterday evening at The Swan and the consensus was that Epiphany 2022 should be cancelled  :'(

However, we have a new concept, that being "Epi"  ;D

Its quite straightforward, meet at Witham 'spoons anywhere between 0830 and 1000 hrs for breakfast and a cheeky beer if the mood takes you, then depending on who is there and how everyone feels we set off for a leisurely ride towards a lunchtime venue for some more nosh and maybe something wet after which everyone goes home.  The forecast for Saturday afternoon isn't great so hopefully we can all get home before being drenched.

So, just turn up and we'll play it by ear  :thumbsup:

Bummer. :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

Bummer. :facepalm:

That just about sums it up  :'(

Meh. Real pity. I'll see what the weather is like tomorrow before deciding whether to get the bike out. Politically a little tricky - one of the kids has an Epiphany birthday, so always tricky this time of year!.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Well the formal Epiphany Ride may have been cancelled but five of us enjoyed our "Epi" day out.

Many of the usual faces were missing for various reasons:

Fandango - eating Yorkies, running over hedgehogs
Toby's Dad - claims January is a busy month for him
Grey Sheep - snotters blinding
Not Grey Lamb - also claims January is a busy month
Oaky - injured in bizarre pogo stick incident
Andy C333333333 - too many rules for our resident anarchist
Psyclist - tinkering in his man cave
Jem - won't leave Witham
Not Nik Not Nick Not Nik's Nick Nor even Nick's Nik - grounded
Josser - plague ridden

Fortunately, Tomsk, Huggy, OD and the BFC (Retd.) were all waiting for me in Witham 'Spoons when the headwind and pelting rain finally released me into the warmth.  I arrived to find the sampling had already started with a carefully curated selection of breakfast beers (Otter's Amber) and Huggy almost in tears at the unfairness of the egg that had been missed from his breakfast - a feeling not helped when my breakfast arrived swiftly and eggful.

Tomsk and I knew how bad it was outside and the others were looking apprehensively out of the window as the raindrops bounced off the pavement.  Tomsk is Tomsk though and there was no way we weren't going on a bike ride.  Somewhat unhelpfully, OD decided to get involved with Tomsk's route planning.  That could only mean a leg-sapping combination of gratuitous hills (at one point we climbed Blue Mills and then dropped back down Station Road to end up 200 yards from the start of our climb), COR (including a particulary muddy slog along past Beeleigh Falls), pointless circling away from the eventual destination just as you think you are nearly there and feeling ashamed at being left behind by Tomsk on his two wheel drive tractor bike.

Of course it wasn't nearly as bad as we thought and it was all good fun.  I did get my revenge for the gratuitous climbs by taking so long to reach the top that everyone else was frozen by the time I got there.

Aesop's Fables for the Modern Day

An Artist comes to a kissing gate with his bike.  He delicately moves through but is forced to release the gate which springs heavily into the Telecoms Sales Executive's shins as he blunders in behind the Artist.  Meanwhile the Smug Engineer waits for the gate to spring back before pulling it outwards to allow the Retired Twiddler and the Scribe to walk through easily and unharmed  The Artist and Telecoms Sales Executive can only look at the Smug Engineer's smug grin as he strides through the gate.

Kissing gate negotiated, we headed through the mud to Maldon and the welcome warmth of the Carpenter's Arms.  There we sampled Yakima Gold and Old Bob but forgot to have an Oscar Wilde Mild when the landlord decided to heat his cottage pie up and we realised how hungry we were in a pub that didn't serve food.   

Off to Maldon 'Spoons we sped.  With Ruddles at 99p and a handful of CAMRA vouchers, we felt like millionaires there.  So confident were we that we cleared a table of beers and bookie's slips onto a different table so we could sit in the warmest part of the pub - "the guys from the boxing club won't be happy when they see their table" chirped the blokes at the next table along but we were too busy selecting snacks and quaffing Old Thumper to care.

Enjoyable as it was, here's to next year and a proper traditional Epiphany Ride with after party, camping, musical interludes, ghost pint spills and everything else we love about it.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

Nicely done ted.  Epi was almost as much fun as Epiphany.  Let's hope that the world is more accommodating in 12 months time.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Nicely done ted.  Epi was almost as much fun as Epiphany.  Let's hope that the world is more accommodating in 12 months time.

:thumbsup: Despite the rain it was a good day out, with more beer than riding really, in true Epiphany style. But still I managed to clock up 54 miles and get home in time to make an only very slightly late family dinner.

Recalling the kissing gate incident still brings a smile: nobody likes a smart arse!  ;D

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
That was fun!

Still not convinced my digestive system will survive the assumptions/school dinner catering offerings on LEL, confirmed by Saturdays exploits.