Author Topic: Zoom recording on iPad  (Read 1127 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Zoom recording on iPad
« on: 19 January, 2021, 11:21:06 am »
My son has to hold some interviews on Zoom for a podcast he's making as part of a school course. He's using an iPad supplied by school because there were problems with his own laptop. So he set up the first interview for yesterday, with someone from a local design studio, got lots of good material – and then found it hadn't recorded. He had Zoom set to "auto record meeting" but it seems the problem is this doesn't interface with Apple.

So he's looking for some Apple-tastic alternative but as the iPad isn't actually his, he doesn't have access to the Apple Store so he doesn't know what there is. If he had a name, he could tell his teacher he needs to download xyz and that would be easier.

I'm not entirely convinced the problem isn't simply user error and either the file is somewhere in the iPad – but apparently it's storage system is totally unlike either a Windows system or an Android phone, so not knowing where to look is an issue – or he simply didn't set Zoom to record properly. But he did a test (afterwards ::-)) and couldn't record himself on Zoom, so it seems there is a Zoom v iPad issue to be overcome. Any ideas?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

Re: Zoom recording on iPad
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2021, 11:23:46 am »
No idea about Zoom, but don't all these conference tools save to the cloud rather than locally? All the ones I use do.

« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2021, 11:35:29 am »
iOS/iPad apps can save videos in three places:
- In a folder in the Files app.
- In the Camera Roll in the Photos app.
- In a private data store belonging to the app, which won't show up in the Files app. You'd need to poke around the app's UI to find it if that's what it does.

No idea which Zoom does.

(it could also record it in a cloudy way where the file isn't on your iPad at all.

ETA: )

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2021, 12:50:53 pm »
Thanks for all the answers. It seems the problem is not actually an Apple one but because an iPad counts as mobile, which only gives you the cloud storage option, no local storage. And cloud storage is not available on a free account. So he's worked out a complicated work-around involving recording on the iPad off phone speakers or vice versa. Or something.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2021, 02:00:46 pm »
And he's found an app called Anchor that might do the job.

« Reply #5 on: 20 January, 2021, 10:11:52 am »
Stupid reply - pay for a month on Zoom.  IIRC it is 10 or 20 quid.
I know that is being arrogant - I did that myself at the start of lockdown as family Zoom calls were cut off at 45 minutes.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 20 January, 2021, 11:18:19 am »
£12.99  ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 20 January, 2021, 11:56:56 am »
Or ask someone who has a paid for account if they can set the meeting up and allow a recording. They don't have to be on it, and can email a link to the recording after the event...  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 20 January, 2021, 12:15:44 pm »
£12.99  ;)

Plus VAT.

I pay for Zoom at the moment.  Now into month 3.  The idea was that we could have long Zoom sessions with friends and family which we have done.  I am using it more and more so likely to keep up the subscription.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #9 on: 20 January, 2021, 12:23:57 pm »
We have a zoom session with a bunch of friends every Friday cos one of us has an account. If we talk to the kids, though, we use Messenger. I prefer the way it handles sound.
There's no vibrations, but wait.