Author Topic: Using Zwift for bike packing simulations.  (Read 4229 times)

Using Zwift for bike packing simulations.
« on: 03 February, 2021, 05:58:49 pm »
While Im stuck here on an Atlantic pimple with no lengthy hills to practice on I have reluctantly turned to Zwift for climbing training.
The focus is long sustained climbs for bike packing races.
My question is, is there a back of a fag packet calculation that I can do with my zwifting data to convert it to the likely progress up a hill on a loaded bike packing rig?
Is there an equation that would say x lbs of bike would give you y percentage less go forward?
Could I simply add the weight of my packing gear to my inputted rider weight for an accurate simulation?

often lost.

Re: Using Zwift for bike packing simulations.
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2021, 06:32:40 pm »
I’d do the last bit you suggested. Just put the all up weight into Zwift.

« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2021, 06:48:27 pm »
Is there an equation that would say x lbs of bike would give you y percentage less go forward?

On a slow uphill grind speed is inversely proportional to weight (i.e. double the weight, half the speed).

« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2021, 10:03:13 am »
I think https://www.bestbikesplit.com/ will help- but I lost the will to subscribe to yet another service. I only wanted it to put numbers on what weightloss would feel like.

In the real world, weight on you doesn't feel the same as weight on the bike.

You could change your bike to the worst on zwift- I have the buffalo bike but taking a TT bike on the gravel or a MTB up the hills could do the same?

« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2021, 10:16:45 am »
I haven't been on Zwift for a couple of years so might be missing something.  But you could either up your weight or just ride a bit faster up the hills, no?

« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2021, 11:47:26 am »
You could also consider a VR cycling app (atm I'd be inclined to recommend BigRingVR assuming you have ANT+ sensors and a smart trainer, and ANT+ dongle of course, as it just seems to work) and ride some of the many many cols and climbs available.  Other apps use BT, of those perhaps FulGaz is the least worst.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2021, 07:01:59 pm »
Thanks. I'll stick 5 or 6 kilos on my true weight and that should ballpark a real world climb on a semi loaded bike.
I guess the power output should remain the same, but zwift will slow the climbing down accordingly.
Thanks Rafletcher. My wife is test riding the taxc app at the moment and enjoying it. Fulgaz doesn't work on a mac laptop apparently.
We have grand designs to hook up an old big TV to a neo bike that we were supposed to have taken custody of by now, but has been back ordered like most else until middle of next month. I do like the idea of crawling up iconic climbs with a big screen to look at. We are very limited here with options on 20square miles out in the real world, and zwift can get a bit stale TBH.
often lost.