Author Topic: Bike rack for four?  (Read 985 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Bike rack for four?
« on: 08 March, 2021, 06:38:25 pm »
At work, we have a small locked bike room, basically an overgrown cupboard or small switchboard room. There is no storage rack at the moment. The 2-3 bike commuters at the moment just lean their bikes against the walls or another bike. With the (small) office starting to fill soon, I want to fit 5 bikes in without leaning bikes against each other or excessive tetris being involved whenever a bike is added or removed.

Vertical hanging won't work for the heaviest bikes (a couple of e-bikes) but OK for one bike probably.

A two-tier rack won't work, we don't have the room behind the parked bikes to pull the top tier down. The same problem kills installing anything with ramps.

The room is too narrow to have all the bikes side-by-side on the floor (modern MTB handlebars!). Four bikes across will fit if the handlebars are staggered in height.

The rack has to allow for bikes with disc brakes, full mudguards, mudguard taillight (me!) and a fair range of tyre widths but not fat bikes.

At the moment I am leaning towards https://www.falco.co.uk/products/cycle-parking/cycle-racks/a-11-cycle-rack.html for four bikes and a wall hook for one lightweight bike as the most we can fit in the room and still be able to get every bike out without removing them all.

Any suggestions/ advice from the studio audience?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Bike rack for four?
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2021, 07:04:35 pm »
Not quite sure how you would achieve but something like the rows of bike racks they have at Marylebone Station (Platform 5 IIRC)? - they are double deck but the upper racks swing down for loading (and must be cantilevered somehow for effortless movement)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:42:34 pm »
They would be my choice if the room was twice as long but the pivoted upper tier may not clear the opposite wall when lowered and certainly won’t have enough room to roll the bike off.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2021, 11:45:51 am »
Are there any other bicycle rack manufacturers that I should look at?

As previously, to roll four bikes into place with half of the front wheels high enough to allow flat bars to overlap. The rack has to allow for bikes with disc brakes, full mudguards, mudguard taillight (me!) and a fair range of road and MTB tyre widths but not fat bikes. One road bike will be hung vertically on a separate hook. Another bike will rest on its kickstand, so a total capacity of six bikes in the room. There were seven bikes stacked against each other earlier this week. 🤨

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2021, 12:13:31 pm »
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain