Author Topic: HP N54L Microserver  (Read 1226 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
HP N54L Microserver
« on: 11 May, 2021, 11:46:51 pm »
Hellos,

I'm about to be given a the above micro server and the plan is to turn full it full of drives and use it as a NAS but I can't decide which system to go for ie FreeNAS, TruNAS, unRAID etc. It'll mostly be used for storing video files, not for editing.

Any thoughts?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
Re: HP N54L Microserver
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2021, 12:01:32 am »
I had one of these and ran xpenology on it for a number of years. I eventually replaced it with a proper Synology DS918+.
I did look at putting a new OS on it and would have gone for FreeNAS, but decided to drink the Synology kool-aid for ease of porting. If you do go for FreeNAS make sure you stuff it with as much RAM as you can fit (16GB IIRC) because ZFS is very memory hungry.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2021, 11:48:09 pm »
Thanks V.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2021, 07:54:48 am »
You want xigmanas, which was nas4free, which was Freenas before the commercial/open source split.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2021, 06:10:52 am »
Will check that out thanks

Support Equilibrium