Author Topic: laptop power on with keyboard?  (Read 1970 times)

laptop power on with keyboard?
« on: 28 May, 2021, 08:42:39 am »
Anyone know which external keyboard will be suitable for powering on a laptop with a dead power button?

Apparently one can set this option in the bios.    https://www.netbooknews.com/tips/how-to-turn-on-off-laptop-without-power-button/

Any other ideas?   

Laptop manufacturer doesn't seem to be honouring (yet) JL 3yr warranty.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: laptop power on with keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:17:31 am »
I'm sure you know, but the manufacturer doesn't have to, JL do. But of course they're notoriously crap now sadly.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:19:56 am »
Thanks.  JL are now collecting.  So hopefully all good.  Hoping it doesn't take eons to get spare part.

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:25:55 am »
Anyone know which external keyboard will be suitable for powering on a laptop with a dead power button?

Presumably by "powering on" you mean waking up (from asleep), rather than from a powered-off state ?

« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2021, 10:10:33 am »

Presumably by "powering on" you mean waking up (from asleep), rather than from a powered-off state ?

That's my guess as well. But it needs to be enabled in the bios...but the laptop won't switch on...

« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2021, 11:06:17 am »
Currently laptop is turned on, having been very difficult to power up by pressing the dodgy button.  So presumably one could restart and F2/ bios settings.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2021, 12:27:42 pm »
Depends on the BIOS settings, but it's usually the Enter or space key or something.  Nothing special about the keyboard.  The USB port does have to be active while 'off' though.  Not sure if laptops do that?

Wake-on-LAN might also be a possibility, if there's wired Ethernet.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2021, 01:55:35 pm »
Depends on the BIOS settings, but it's usually the Enter or space key or something.  Nothing special about the keyboard.  The USB port does have to be active while 'off' though.  Not sure if laptops do that?

Some do I think. At least my old laptop supposedly allowed me to charge my phone from it when the laptop was off. But that could just be powering the relevant bits of the USB socket without it being “active”?

« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2021, 03:32:39 pm »
There is Wake-On-LAN - never used it myself though.
You would presumably need an ethernet cable and a suitable method of generating the WOL packets.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2021, 03:36:59 pm »
I used WOL for MythTV back in the days when broadcast telly was the way to obtain videos.  It's pretty straightforward, but it's a layer 2 thing, which means you need a special utility to generate the packet on a machine on the same ethernet segment as the one you're trying to wake.

Afasoas

« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2021, 03:28:52 pm »
It is moot if the laptop is being repaired, but there should be "USB Wake" setting in the BIOS which should work with connected peripherals on a modern laptop.
You might need to enable "Turn on fast startup" under the Windows Power Options if running Windows.

There's some info here

Might be a bit of trial and error (and ultimately, in some cases failure) making this work.