Author Topic: Vacuum packing bags that work...  (Read 1180 times)

Vacuum packing bags that work...
« on: 18 June, 2021, 05:59:29 pm »
Can anyone recommend some vacuum packing bags that don't lose their ability to stay vacuum-packed, please?

I've tried a couple of shop-bought ones; e.g. Wilko's, but they give up the ghost after a few weeks.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: Vacuum packing bags that work...
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2021, 06:08:45 pm »
In rationalising my airing cupboard after my wife died recently, I bought these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254512222041

They work perfectly.  They've stayed fully compressed for 3 months now and show no signs of leakage. Used a Dyson vacuum cleaner to pull out the air.

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2021, 06:56:10 pm »
I think ours were from Lakeland. We open them once every six months or so. Been doing fine for several years now.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2021, 04:34:18 pm »
Thank you.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2021, 07:12:41 pm »
I used Wilko vacuum bags for a while and found them a bit fragile. I also found the seals unreliable even with careful attention on sealing. I ended up using them inside archive boxes which I then taped shut in case the seals failed and the bags subsequently expanded. That system worked okay for off-season clothing and for bedding, though the boxes ended up surprisingly heavy.

I now have a storage system that uses Ortlieb drybags - the cylindrical type - stacked on a shelving unit. There's enough compression during packing to reduce the volume by about 50%, and once the bag is closed it says small (because the height is limited by the fastening buckle). The bag handle can take a label to indicate the contents.